The Thoth Book by Crowley

Alta

I found the Duquette book, especially the first few chapters, to help me get oriented to the deck. I do however believe that reading the Book of Thoth is essential. Even if it leaves you confused in spots, further reading and adding in some kabbablistic knowledge will help.

Numerous web sites have the entire text of many of Crowley's books.

Marion

Edited to add: Try this thread:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=68571

Kenny

I think the book, also by DuQuette, The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford (ISBN 1-57863-215-3) would be useful to read too. It's a great intoduction to Qabalah and I think an Astrology book would be useful too.

Baccus93

Let there be no difference made among you

I've read the Book of Thoth by Crowley on three separate occasions. The first time I read it it made very little sense to me. The second time I read it was years later, after, inspired I would imagine by the energy of the Thoth deck and the Book of Thoth, I managed to accept the Law of Thelema - the paradigm model upon which Crowley's images and attitude towards the cards have been drawn. The third time I read it I was looking to prove a point to myself, a point I am quite willing to prove at any time - and that is that Crowley in no way changed the meanings of the divining use of Tarot when he made certain discoveries and alignment changes to its mystical layout. What he did change was the paradigm from which the interpretations should be viewed. For example, a hotly dealt with card in this topic is Lust. Although Crowley re-adjusted its position for us by placing it as the Eleventh (not the Eighth) Trump and giving it the title he gave it, he still defines its interpretation the same way (in slightly different words though, less he be merely repeating) all other LWBs do. In the Book of Thoth, on page 257 of my copy, he gives this for ATU XI : Courage, strength, energy and action, une grande passion; resort to magick, the use of magical power.

The Book of Thoth (book) is a great book, but don't expect it to be an easy read nor do most find it useful for divination purposes. Study the Qabalah and Astrology and all that you can get your hands on about Tarot. Do not disregard ANY of your previous learning - do not throw the baby out with the bath water. The Book of Thoth (deck) is an excellent tool for divination and meditation.

AbstractConcept

ooO! DRAMA!

Just buy and read The Book of Thoth, And Understanding ALeister Crowley's Thoth Tarot.
THEN you can get up to speed on Qabalah (lots off good ones to read on this subject, I like The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford by Lon DuQuette for beginners best).
THEN you should become well versed in Thelema. Lots of Thelemic symbolism in the Thoth.
By that stage you're not only well on your way to understanding the Thoth cards, but probably on your way to being a serious occult student, which has its perks.
I also think Regardie's The Golden Dawn is worth investigating for its chapters on tarot.

I'm not sure if Waite was a hack or not, but he was boring as batsh*t, and hired a terrible 'artist' to design his cards. Now i find the images charming in a quaint sort of way, but art it's not.
I'll stop my rant now :)

suedeheadsmiths

Hey Marion, if you know the websites you spoke of, I'd be quite greatful if you listed them.

Thanks, Chris

rogue

I can't stress a fundamental understanding of astrology enough. This will probably help you more than anything.

Alta

suedeheadsmiths said:
Hey Marion, if you know the websites you spoke of, I'd be quite greatful if you listed them.

Thanks, Chris
They are posted in that thread that I gave Chris.

ravenest

suedeheadsmiths said:
I'd love to know what everyone thinks.

I think that someone seriously interested in using the Thoth deck (for the purpose for which it was designed) cannot do without the Book of Thoth.

(And really, one cannot do without Waite's Book of Black magick and Spells if you want your neighbours milking cow to dry up ;) - sorry, couldn't resist that one.)

rogue

Good points rave. The Book of Thoth is obviously required reading for Thoth users, first and foremost. As for the Book of Black Magic, the spell that I can't get out of my head is the Hand of Glory. Remember that one?