Hey Thoth-readers! I have a couple of questions for ya...

Scion

Raya said:
I guess that's what I'll do. Some of the symbolism, like Qaballah,numerology, or color scheme seems interesting to me. But to be honest I've never had an interest in astrology, in tarot or otherwise. How important is astrology to the Thoth tarot?
Raya, until very recently I'd have agreed with you about astrology. I had a basic grasp of signs and planets and houses, but in general I dismissd it as twaddle because I'd only been exposed to the iffy, refried 20th century astrology. Didn't hurt my use of the Thoth any. I just left it there on the side of my plate and ate the things I thought seemed tastier or more nourishing: Qabalah, Alchemy, myth, Book T, etc. Then one day I suddenly found the astrology fascinating and couldn't dig in the topic enough... and that happened about 20 years after I started using the deck. To my surprise, I found was that in those years using it, the DECK taught me a lot of astrology without my realizing...

I think a proactive way to approach the Thoth is to pick a single discipline (number, color, etc) that interests you and then track it's employment in the designs. And then once you feel like you've got a handle on that element pick something else that interests you, track its use, and then track the way it interacts with the first thing you explored. Rinse, repeat. Over time, you'll find that all of these elements crisscross and interweave, like esoteric lace: tug on any one thread and everything constellates outward from it. But that's too huge to start with, just pick something that seems approachable and intriguing and trace that one thing for yourself and make it yours. I can't imagine anyone regretting that journey. :)

Scion

ravenest

Scion said:
I think a proactive way to approach the Thoth is to pick a single discipline (number, color, etc) that interests you and then track it's employment in the designs. And then once you feel like you've got a handle on that element pick something else that interests you, track its use, and then track the way it interacts with the first thing you explored. Rinse, repeat. Over time, you'll find that all of these elements crisscross and interweave, like esoteric lace: tug on any one thread and everything constellates outward from it.
Scion

Well put!

I used this method to learn the major correspondences in 777. At first it seemed impossible but I went for the 'single discipline' that interested me the most (or the one I was most familiar with) - Tarot cards, and eventually, using the above method, I learned them.