Theatre D' Amour, 1620...

Cerulean

Fair Theatre of Love, you reveal to our eyes
How a child laughs at men and the gods.
He introduces a comic element in the opening scene
And in this pleasant fashion captivates our spirits.
Then the traitor; having thus caught us unawares,
Finds as passion from cup of tragedy

Despite Cupid's harshness, we run towards our misfortunes,
And tired unto death of suffering his works
We are nevertheless delighted to burn in his flames.
It is not out of reason but out of necessity
That we obey his divinity,
Which forces reason to obey his charms.

Why then proclaim chaste continence
And bitter austerity as a means of barring his strength
If he hands our hearts of stone whenever he wishes?
Love conquers all, foolish is he who resists,
In the end we must taste Cupid's sweet rigors
And follow him on the path with no thought for our heart.

It is a pleasant danger to follow this god,
Whose greatest evil is really a game:

Love is Cupid's game

Preface, Theatre d'Amour, Complete reprint of the coloured Emblemata amortoria of 1620, by Carsten-Peter Warncke (Taschen Publishers)

A century and one half perhaps from a circa 1471-81 tarocchi courtly poem and game of 78 verses from MM Boiardo also speaks of the game of love and 'Love Conquers All.' The dating of copied and illuminated collections of fine art engravings that focus on subjects such as 'Love' are in libraries of this time.

The engravings in style to me resembles to me a tarocchi-style game, a variant called the Florentine Minchiate from 1725.

From the Theatre D'Amour commentary on page 312:

..part of the emblem genre which flourished between the 16th and 18th century and which was typically exploited for its symbolic potential. As otherwise almsot neer the case in the history of art, the birth of the emblem as an artistic genre can be assigned to a precise date. In 1531 the offices of Heinrich Steyner in Augsburg published the Emblematum liber, a small book authored by Andrea Alciato, an Italian humanist and professor of jurisprudences at Lyons. Most of the texts sprung not from Alciato's own pen, however, but from a collection of ancient Greek poetry entitled Anthologia Grecea. The Emblematium liber is nonetheless ALciato's intellectual achievement for he prefaced each poem with a short caption summarizing the message conveyed by the verse. The publisher in turn also added woodcut illustrations by the Augsburg artist Jorg Breu. The result was an attractive three-part form comprising a short, pithy motto (or lemma) at the top, a picture and a text expounding the lesson delivered by the motto and the scene portrayed in the picture. This text text is ideally formatted in lines of verse but may also be completed in prose.

The technique of combining a symbolic image with a definition of its hidden meaning is perhaps best illustrated with an example. From the Anthologia Grecea Alciato took a six-line poem (Anth Grae IX, 221) which belongs to the genre of ekphrasis, a description -- in partaicular of pictures or sculptures--undertaken as an exercise in rhetorical excellence (cf ill p.312 and folio 7). In this case the poem describes a scene carved as a cameo onto a stone Cupid, depicted as a young boy, is driving two mighty lions with one nonchalant hand and thereby symbolizes the power of love. No one can shield himself from this power. Alciato has captioned the poem with a brief motto of just three words: Potentissimus affectus amor. Love is the most powerful passion. The artist depictes Cupid who has his eyes bound representing blind love, driving a chariot pulled by two lions. All three components combine to make up the specific significance of the emblem as a whole.

(I'm checking for more clues, maybe tarotwise....)

Cerulean who is fascinated by this and peeking at her Marseilles precursors and the Burdel of 1751...

Cerulean

Eight page excerpt online, with color engravings...

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/excerpts/classics/show/1/107.htm

Perhaps a faint carol from an earlier language of the birds...

Excerpt of Justice description...
After love emblems, personifications make up the next largest group of illustrations in this anthology. Here represented in several series of engravings (fols. 28-35, 92-111, 118-120, 139-142), personification is the form of allegorical representation with probably the longest tradition in the history of Western culture. As its name suggests, personification is a method of illustrating an abstract idea, otherwise visually impossible to depict, in the shape of a human figure. We are all familiar with such personifications, even if they are falling out of use in modern times. The personification of Justice as a woman with her eyes blindfolded, wielding a sword in one hand and a set of scales in the other, is still familiar, however, as it can frequently be seen adorning old law courts. Justice indeed offers an excellent demonstration of how the system works: the femaleness of her figure reflects the grammatical gender of the word (derived from the Latin justitia); her blindfold represents the duty to pass unbiased judgement without respect of person and according only to the facts; her scales symbolize the measured process of arriving at a verdict by carefully weighing up every factor relevant to the case; and her sword indicates the sentences that the court can pronounce. Something that requires a great many words to describe and characterize can thus be expressed in a single, comprehensible image which is easily grasped by the imagination and intellect. (...)
----------------------------------------------------------------
I added this later from the book:

Folio 95: Justice
The personification of Justice (Dutch Rechtveerdichheydt. Lat iustitia) is enthroned in an open countryside and bears her traditional attributes of the balance and the executioner's sword.

It is better to own fewer goods, but obtained with Justice
Than to acquire great affluence through deceit.

(One of the Seven Virtues in folios 92-98 engraved in the Netherlands by artist Christoffel I van Sichem and published in Amsterdam by Claesz Jansz Visscher, around 1600. For those interested, the sequence is Hope, Temperance, Faith, Justice, Love, Prudence, Fortitude and Seven Vices follow in this sequence 99-105: Sloth, Lust, Gluttony, Envy, Anger, Avarice/Covetousness, Pride)

Happy reading,
Cerulean

Cerulean

Another copy of the Emblem Book online with engravings

While not as lavish as the colored engraving samples, here's another version for symbologists to peruse:

http://www.mun.ca/alciato/index.html

The Greek emblems here:

http://www.mun.ca/alciato/greek.html

I hope this helpful to students interested in tracing tarotlike symbols in historical Western humanities...

Regards

Cerulean

Cerulean

The Allegory of Marriage and Lovers Trump in Milanese and Marseilles

If a standard circa the 1700s be for the Milanese and Marseilles cards to would be the Lovers cards with the following personages:

1. Male Lover

2. Female Lover

3. Cupid or Amor in a cloud with Arrow pointed to Lovers

4. Elderly or Third Person, Female/Male, either in between or on one side of one of the Male/Female;

would the Theatre De L'Amour or Jestings on Love's three scenes of the Allegory of Marriage be pertinent?

It might if I were to look at the scenes this way.

The first scene (folio 74) is said in the commentary to actually be the third and final scene of the Allegory of Marriage--the supposition is that the people who rebound the sequence of three scenes according to their own taste. So I will comment on folio 75; folio 76 and the final scene, folio 74 in that sequence and my comments will be in paranthesis.

A.Folio 75

Cupid joins together an aristocratic man and woman, while a naked couple embrace under a baldachin in the background. (The naked couple to the side might be read
as a satirical side comment or footnote, in a similar fashion to a bottom part of a fresco in the Schifania Palace Frescoes circa 1470 of Venus/Vulcan in a bed*).

The emblem shows that marriage based purely on lust and physical attraction does not last.

"A marriage founded on base love and vile lust
Is unstable and soon the pleasure will pass."

(The woman is clad in bright orange-red and the man's sleeve is the same flame color. He has a blue tunic lined with gold trimming, pink pantaloons above his knee, red leggings and a gold mantle. Her hair is fashionably knotted and earrings hang over the delicate ruffle of her collar. She carries a lace kerchief and has gold bracelets. Cupids wings are blue and flame covered).

*(triumph of Vulcan)
http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/t/tura/schifano

B.Folio 76

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/excerpts/classics/show/3/107.htm

The devil joins together two wealthy individuals. Although the woman is bedecked with jewelery, her fan of peacock feathers (a symbol of vanity) and the withered breasts of the devil (signifying miserliness) betray the true message: marriage based solely on money is an evil thing. (NOTE: The woman is clad in a purple mantle lined with fur and her hair is plucked from her forehead in a fashionable aristocratic manner. The man is clad in yellow stockings, he has a bright red mantle, a light blue tunic with an empty sleeve draped over his arm: he grasps her hand with a purple sleeve. Both the devil facing the woman with the devilish cloven hoofs and the man,'s backside has a satirical touch to it--the devil and the man's beaked profiles also have a lusty beastly touch).

Those joined by shameful riches and wealth
Will be deceived by the miserable treachery of a cunning demon.

(The pattern of someone accompanying the two main lovers as a significant emblem seems to be part of the pattern of the Allegory of Marriage and in many Lovers Cards***note to cite examples of Tarot Lovers cards of similar periods***).

C.Folio 74:

What is in fact the third engraving in the series portrays marriage as a sacrament instituted by Christ within which sexuality serves only the conception of children. Thus the bride carries the martyr's palm and the bridegroom a laurel wreath, showing that he is entering the marriage undefiled.

Those joined by true love and a chaste bed
Are joined in Christ and remain faithful to one another.

(There is the halo around a bearded figure that has golden highlights in brown-tinted hair and brown eyes. He is in between the male lover and the female lover and his left hand joins the male and female hands...his right hand is raised in a gesture with his middle and forefinger is raised and his thumb is also open, his third and pinky fingers are lowered. The Christ figure has a red mantle.

The female has blue and red flowers in long and yellow-illuminated hair, a blue mantle over her white dress-she looks pregnant. The male has a green-blue hat, aqua coat, pink pantaloons, blue stockings and a dark cloak lined in yellow-gold).

(The scenic small picture behind the woman is a female and bare-armed woman crowning a youngish male figure. The yellow hair of the female drapes down to show the scene, which also under an upraised fold that could also be part of delicate white mantle of the woman or a n opening of a cave that goes to the edge of the pictorial border.

(Near the foreground of the page, the suggestion of a watery pool with stones on the beginning of the water and near the feet of the man, a numeral 'three' to indicate the allegorical sequence is written on the page.)* Folio 74 and the detail of the female crowning the male follows my signature*

If I were to combine A, B, & C from the book of 1620 to an engraved card design, would I be able to come up with something similar to the Lovers Trump Card showing:

1) Amor or Cupid hovering above

2) The Male

3) The Female

4) Another figure joining or adding to the allegorical picture of the scene.

Anyway, I seem to be seeing tarotlike outgrowths from this manuscript--might it be an echo that speaks of a distant song of long-ago birds?

I'll stop here and sorry if this bores you. It was meant to assist others to look for such things as they enjoy their choice of humanities and perhaps historical tarot designs...

My best wishes,

Cerulean

P.S. I am searching for links to the Allegory of Marriage and cards of the period or later designs that would reflect the descriptions. Again, I'll add if there's interest to this thread; otherwise, I'll keep the studies to my own silly notes...thanks for reading.

Attachments

• alllove2.jpg
    alllove2.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 151
  • alllov (2).jpg
    alllov (2).jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 168

Cerulean

The Crowning in Allegory of Marriage and Card V Amor

in the Minchiate Etruria.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...s?q=minchiate+etruria&start=20&hl=en&lr=&sa=N

In the small picture of the bare-armed goddess or young woman who crowns the seated young man of the Third Allegory of marriage.

Above, the Minchiate Etruria of 1725 shows a kneeling man being crowned by a womanly figure. Brian Williams says in his commentary for Amor, "It is unclear from the visual evidence alone whether the Minchiate card shows a young man suiing the goddess of love for her favor with an (unseen) lady or if the woman bestowing the crown is herself the object of his adoration. As with the elusiveness of meaning in an image like the Salone Venus, it can be fruitful to accept both interpretations at once. The beloved becomes the goddess of love herself."

My own thought is this Allegory of Marriage adds another component to the history of an image by the time the 1725 Minchiate Etruria variant or other Love/Amor cards came to be in the Trump sequence. A kneeling or seated man crowned by a bare-armed woman who is favoring him. Fortunate, this moment, that lover!

Love conquers all, foolish is he who resists,
In the end we must taste Cupid's sweet rigors
And follow him on the path with no thought for our heart.

It is a pleasant danger to follow this god,
Whose greatest evil is really a game:

Love is Cupid's game

Sophie

The English Masque and Allegories of Love and Money

How delicious, Cerulean! I have enjoyed this walk through yet more allegories of love.

It reminded me of Ben Jonson and the English Masque in the courts of James I and Charles I Stuart, at about the time of the Théâtre d'Amour. Jonson, a beautiful poet and playwright, bent his pen to write allegorical spectacles - part play, part dance, part song, part fantasy stage-machinery. He worked with Inigo Jones, the foremost architect and designer of his time, who drew the (ever-changing) scenes and the costumes.

In a masque, words, music, dance, scenery and costumes would all reinforce each other, showing several facets of the allegory, playing it on various themes.

Stephen Orgeal has made a good study on the political use of the masque - to bolster power and underline divine right and the authority of the Crown. Just as in the Italian Courts, Allegory was used as an ally by Power.

Yet Jonson - a master satirist - managed to slip in unconventional thinking in the guise of conventional Allegory (on love, or on power) - as in here, where pure Cupid opposes Mammon, the money-God, and wins, for Love must be stronger than power and money. This would have been a sentiment far from shared by the aristocratic participants in the masques! Could this not be yet another meaning for that famously enigmatic card, VI-L'Amoureux?

-from Love Restor'd

O How came Love, that is himself a fire, to be so cold!
Yes, tyran Money quencheth all desire, or makes it old.
But here are beauties will revive
Loves youth, and keep his heat alive:
As often as his Torch here dies,
He need but light it at fresh eyes.
Joy, joy, the more: for in all Courts,
If Love be cold, so are his sports.

C U P I D.

I have my spirits again, and feel my lims.
Away with this cold cloud, that dims
My light. Lie there my furres, and charms,
Love feels a heat, that inward warms,
And guards him naked, in these places,
As at his birth, or 'mongst the Graces.
Impostor Mammon, come, resign
This bow and quiver; they are mine.
Thou hast too long usurp'd my rites,
I now am Lord of mine own nights.
Be gone, whilst yet I give thee leave.
When, thus, the world thou wilt deceive,
Thou canst in youth and beauty shine,
Belie a God-heads form divine,
Scatter thy gifts, and flie to those,
Where thine own humor may dispose:
But when to good men thou art sent,
By Joves direct commandment,
Thou then, art aged, lame, and blind,
And canst nor path nor persons find.
Go, honest spirit, chase him hence,
T' his caves; and there let him dispence
For murders, treasons, rapes, his bribes
Unto the discontented tribes;
Where, let his heaps grow daily less,
And he, and they, still want success.

Edited to add link to whole text:http://www.hollowaypages.com/jonson1692restored.htm
But remember the text was but a small part of the masque...here are some masque costumes, by Buontalenti and Inigo Jones:
http://costume.dm.net/masque
and a stage design by Inigo Jones:
http://ise.uvic.ca/Library/SLT/stage/costofmasques.html