IF you were going to make your own special oracle

greatdane

Not tarot, not Lenormand, not any current style of deck, something that was all your own invention, what would be the ONE symbol or image you would most want to include and why?

Not sure about just one image I would want, but I know I would like a bird on the backs, like a raven or owl. And I would probably want situations, moods, more than just simple images. Like definitely a card showing someone creating, someone taking a break, someone helping someone.

Anyone else want to share what they would like if they could design their own oracle and have it just materialize ? :)

stone_lotus

It might be cool to have an oracle deck that was all just variations on the theme of water..... With different bodies and forms of water representing different emotions..... Oceans, lakes, rivers, streams, rain, tears, glacier water, thunderstorms...... Etc.....

lantana

It might be cool to have an oracle deck that was all just variations on the theme of water..... With different bodies and forms of water representing different emotions..... Oceans, lakes, rivers, streams, rain, tears, glacier water, thunderstorms...... Etc.....

I would buy this in a heartbeat :D

A lot of oracles have cards with the Four Elements, so if I created an oracle I'd probably include the Three Realms (Land, Sky, Sea) instead. I've just always wanted cards for them.

I know, I know, that's THREE and not ONE... I guess if I had to choose ONE it would be a symbol for creativity, probably flowers and herbs or art supplies.

greatdane

they sound great, Stone Lotus and Lantana!

And Lantana, hey, it's YOUR oracle, so you can say what one, two, three, or whatever! :)

I just thought it would be fun to post things what might add to an oracle if we were totally in charge :)

celticnoodle

Some good ideas here and I have always thought about making my own oracle and have had ideas often of what it would be, what would be included. Some of my ideas include people, animals, plants, and objects, feelings, situations too--as you mentioned, GD. Some of which I've come across in my own life--drawing from my experiences. But, I'm not quite sure how to really arrange it altogether. But it is fun to dream of it.

I like the water idea--as water has so many different "personalities". It can be refreshing and warm and comforting and it can be damaging and a killer.

Great thread, GD!

blue_fusion

A Baybayin/Alibata oracle. It's an ancient writing system we have here. I'd love to try my hand at creating a divination system based on it, kinda like in Runes or Ogham. I did some googling around, and someone has attempted one, but I don't agree with some of her interpretations and would like to pursue a different direction for mine. Part of me wants to organize it along linguistic/orthographic lines but the other part wants to keep in more "native" in spirit.

Onaorkal

There are many works of fiction displaying a great amount of interesting symbolism, sometimes more traditional (based on ancient religions, lore, etc) and sometimes related to more modern concepts (I'm thinking here about psychology and some philosophical concepts).
When I really like something, I automatically tend to let my mind wander and dream of a potential oracle that could be made out of it.

One good example would be Naruto, a manga and anime well known amongst young people of the 90's and millenials. The author was heavily inspired by Japanese mythology, but also by taoism, buddhism and hindouism. So the story contains very interesting symbols and images representing various components of those subjects and myths.
Also the story is very powerful and changed the lives of many people, so it could easily lead to a very empowering oracle for people who know about the story.

TL;DR, I would definitely love to make an oracle based on Naruto's story and characters, based on their inherent symbolism.

One theme I would include for sure would be the various kinds of 'jutsu', which are techniques/skills the characters (ninjas) can use to attack/defend themselves. They are mostly based on the 5 elements (wood, water, fire, earth, wind), but also include some based on the concept of yin and yang.

Haha I could talk about this for hours! I guess I should really make that oracle! :p

greatdane

CelticNoodle, Blue_Fusion, Onaokal, thanks for giving me a great read!

As I read, I think fabulous ideas here, and how I would love to see them take shape!

How wondrous it would be for us all to have our own personal oracles, with not just the images we wanted, but our own "system," theme, all just exactly how we wished :).