Let's name some Fool archetypes in popular culture

thefourrealms

I've always thought of Forest Gump as the perfect representation of the Fool. And think of the floating feather at the beginning and end of the movie.

Then I thought about two characters in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Is Ferris the Fool? Or is Cameron? Or are they both the Fool: Cameron is what the Fool is like at the beginning of the Journey and Ferris is the Fool at the end of his journey.

Some other ones: The Dude in the Big Lebowski, the Bubble Boy (Jake Gyllenhaal)

Of course, any Hero/Heroine in a Journey to enlightenment could represent the Fool, such as Dorothy Gale, Luke Skywalker, Neo from the Matrix, Charlie in Willy Wonka, Ebeneezer Scrooge, etc.

Ron521

Gilligan (enlightenment seems slow to complete), Bilbo Baggins, or Frodo in the Tolkein novels...

Dogs&Coffee

Dr. Ray Stantz

Wide eyed innocence willing to take out 3 mortgages on a house... Doesn't get more foolish and optimistic than that...

I think someone who is perpetually naïve and never loses that sense of wide eyed wonder would better embody the fool than someone on the hero's journey who will eventually grow onwards and upwards.

nisaba

Bungee jumpers and base jumpers.

Conan: He basically is just a guy (albeit a really badassed one) who just wants booze and women but winds up doing stuff like killing gods and becoming a king.

Barleywine

This guy! (At least at the beginning of the movie.)

Attachments

• Scarecrow.jpg
    Scarecrow.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 187

Barleywine

How about "anyone who believes in Groundhog Day?" :joke:

Grizabella

Donald Trump.

Barleywine

Donald Trump.

I was wondering who would be first. I suppose it depends on whether you see the Fool as "innocence" or "folly." But Trump wouldn't be my ideal Fool anyway; Fools are warm-blooded.