Magick Symbols in Tarot- The Pomegranate

JMI_Tarot

When I was working on the Cult of Weimar Tarot, I had an urge to include on a few different cards, images of Pomegranates. Namely, The High Priestess, The Empress, 3 of Swords and the King and Queen of Swords.

I didn't know why. But it felt right and I liked the way they fit into the collages I was creating.

Later on, I looked into it more deeply and found that the Pomegranate is a fruit with a long history in many of the esoteric arts.

It is a symbol of fertility, prosperity and wisdom. There is actually quite a lot of lore surrounding them.

And it was after the fact, after designing my cards, that I learned all this and it made me wonder. About a lot of things actually! It seemed quite natural to me, though I didn't know why, to include their imagery in my art, in the cards I was designing.

I've had some other "pomegranate related phenomena" in my life and I wonder if any of you have had something similar. Is there another fruit or something that seems to kind of follow you around through life?

I know it's an odd question, but I think Tarot people understand what I mean.

Would love to hear your stories.

Tanga

Love your High Preistess. :) :thumbsup:

Interesting question - I had a think..

I have 2 plants that I really like and lean towards:
1) Acacia dealbata.
http://www.auntyflo.com/flower-dictionary/acacia
I grew up in a land of varied acacias - the Savannas of East Africa - and now that I live in Europe I miss them and this is the one version that grows here. I love those bright yellow pompom flowers. They remind me of the power of the Tropical sun and are so cheery - and yet - so delicate.
Interesting to read that they are associated with driving away ghosts and demons (they produce poisonous hydrogen cyanide when burned) and also with beauty in retirement, endurance of the soul and immortality.
Hmm...

I am in process of making my own photographic Tarot deck and have been musing on how to incorporate acacia in it - as they are now in flower over here. :) :)

(And now - I have an Acacia wand! :royal: Lol. I'm Wiccan).

2) The Cape Gooseberry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalis_alkekengi
I'm used to the yellow one with white skin which grows wild where I come from - we don't have orange ones.
It's a jolly fruit and makes me think of "fluffy fae". Lol. I'd eat them in the garden as a child.
Apparently in China, the seeds are used to guide the souls of the dead.
Hmm... I rather like that.

Finally I can say the one plant I've clearly dreamt about is
The Forsythia:
http://www.auntyflo.com/flower-dictionary/forsythia
Which symbolises patient anticipation.
Well - that's my life story... seeing as I always have to allow my body - which doesn't quite
always keep up with what I have in mind - time to catch up with me :joke: :joke:

In my dream - forsythysias popped off their stems and spiralled up to heaven on either side of me as I walked passed. Apparently my subconscious acknowledging my growing or "flowering", at a particular time of my personal development journey.

CharlotteK

I had a dream that I got a pomegranate tattoo a few nights ago 😕.

As for a flower that has followed me... Probably Magnolia. My grandma had one in her front garden for years and I always admired the flowers, and now I have one (we viewed the house in the dark so didn't realise until after we'd had an offer accepted). Magnolia is a very ancient flower, very tough and hardy with a beautiful fragrance. Pruning of Magnolia trees has to be done when they are in full leaf so they have time to heal (they 'bleed' and healing can be slow). I think they are majestic and I love my tree.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Tanga

I had a dream that I got a pomegranate tattoo a few nights ago ��.

As for a flower that has followed me... Probably Magnolia. My grandma had one in her front garden for years and I always admired the flowers, and now I have one (we viewed the house in the dark so didn't realise until after we'd had an offer accepted). Magnolia is a very ancient flower, very tough and hardy with a beautiful fragrance. Pruning of Magnolia trees has to be done when they are in full leaf so they have time to heal (they 'bleed' and healing can be slow). I think they are majestic and I love my tree.

Why the face for the tattoo?
I'm intrigued.

Magnolia is beautiful.
The scent is too cloying for me and gives me a headache. :) ... or is that Frangipani I'm thinking of...
Hmm - will have to sniff the magnolia in flower on the green when I see it next...

CharlotteK

Why the face for the tattoo?
I'm intrigued.

Magnolia is beautiful.
The scent is too cloying for me and gives me a headache. :) ... or is that Frangipani I'm thinking of...
Hmm - will have to sniff the magnolia in flower on the green when I see it next...
Wrong face probably , I think I meant more this one 🤔. Pondering. Frangipani is a more intense fruity version of Magnolia from what I gather, I think I smelled some In Thailand but they're kind of similar, a bit vanilla-y.