Decks that read better on certain topics than others

Honeysun

Hello,

Is it possible for a Tarot deck to read better on certain topics than others? For example, I used my Deviant Moon to contact the dead and the reading was spot on, the message flowed so smoothly. However, readings don't seem to resonate when I'm doing daily draws. My Pagan Tarot, however, is my to-go deck for daily draws.

So does that mean I'm not well connected to Deviant Moon? Apparently decks can have personalities, but how if they're only tools and the answers come from our Higher Selves?
Have you experienced this?

AnemoneRosie

I know what you mean. I don't think that it has to do with connection. It's one of the reasons that I like doing deck interviews with new decks - so that I can get an understanding of where they might be coming from. While some of my heavy-hitting decks are generalists, others, are more topic-specific. My Housewives Tarot, for instance, is brilliant at relationship readings. When you start going outside of that it becomes harder to read.

vifetoile

My Harmonious Tarot deck is a good deck for most subjects, *except* for when it comes to my creative writing attempts. It always seemed to be swords all the way - I eventually got the sense that the tarot cards were jealous of the attention I spend on writing. I've learned!

Padma

So does that mean I'm not well connected to Deviant Moon? Apparently decks can have personalities, but how if they're only tools and the answers come from our Higher Selves? Have you experienced this?

I think it has to do with the way the art (or symbolism) affects us on a personal level. Certain images are more provocative on one subject than another, and art is so very subjective...it has a different aspect and feeling to every person who sees it.

I certainly have experienced this, and I only have a few decks out of 50 that are agreeable to discussing everything! Most seem to have their specialty. I am attributing that effect to the artists who created them, since artists project themselves into their art.

I have to agree with AnemoneRosie on the Housewives! ;)

Padma

My Harmonious Tarot deck is a good deck for most subjects, *except* for when it comes to my creative writing attempts. It always seemed to be swords all the way - I eventually got the sense that the tarot cards were jealous of the attention I spend on writing. I've learned!

Speech and words are associated to air element, which Swords are, so I think they are just speaking about what you do creatively. :)

barefootlife

I've found that decks read differently for me - they have different tones and temperaments, so to speak, which make them better for some things than others. I can read on pretty much anything with my Wild Unknown and get something deep to chew over, which is why it's my go-to deck, especially for others. My Invisible Light is better at getting down to the bones of what needs to be done. The Slow Holler is very brusque and tough-love and really good at exposing what needs to be thought, if that makes sense. My Wooden Tarot is blunt and sometimes less than kind, a smack with a 2x4, which means I mostly pull it out for myself. My Linestrider is that person who softens everything just a little too much, and because of that I rarely read with it.

lantana

I've definitely noticed this among my own collection. There are decks great for daily draws (Idiosyncradeck), for big spreads (Raven's Prophecy, Prisma Visions), for shadow work (Wild Unknown, Wooden Tarot), for soul searching questions (Slow Holler, Fountian), to get a hug (Animal Wisdom), to get slapped (Housewives)... I could go on and on.

I also agree with barefootlife, I find that most of my decks have a different tone even when they fit the same sort of slot. Wild Unknown is a bit softer but also easier to read than Wooden Tarot, which gives me meatier readings to chew on, for example.

As for the how it's possible, it really depends on your worldview, but I think some people see tarot (or any divinatory method) as a sort of filter that the message from your higher self/ancestors/whoever goes through.

EmpyreanKnight

I've always felt that the Thoth is very effective when I ask about personal issues and problems. I've done this a lot of times, and I have almost 100% accuracy with it. And no, it's not subjective at all - when I ask how a situation will unfold, what it tells often comes into fruition.

When it comes to reading for others and predicting external events, I find my Original Rider-Waite very accurate.

Rachx

Hi there I have different decks. I use RWS because it's good with reversals if I need a detailed or subtle reading and I think because I learned with RWS that if the question is complex I will understand better. My top deck without reversals is Robinwood (she doesn't use them so I go with her on that) this deck appeals to the down to earth type questions and works well for daily type stuff. I also use Osho Zen - agin it's based on RWS but I love the ethos behind this deck so use it for philosophical type questions! X