Beginner Obstacles

BeyondtheVeil

zhadee

The reason why I don't like that specific question is... I have seen how it feels when somebody asks about your behaviour in a specific situation, and somebody else reads your mind in that specific situation. Though both sides were gentle, it was still quite humiliating.

Once, I've had a reading from a successful professional reader who read in my cards the history of her unhappy marriage. She told me my partner cheated on me, she told me I was too naive to take notice, and she also said my partner would leave me. She also said I should not tell my partner about this because he cannot be trusted.
Of course I told my partner about this reading, and this saved me from becoming paranoid about his behaviour.

I'm sorry that happened to you! {{HUGS}}

My reading was for practice and I actually wanted to know the question. It related to me and I still don't have a problem with asking it. I'm sure my Pa wouldn't either, but it wasn't trying to humiliate or get some deep dark secret, but rather to help me figure out the new divination system that I am eager to learn. I have to do readings to see how they work so that I can understand them.

I am trying to learn a divination system the only way that I know how. .. by practicing readings. I have read a lot on my cat's thoughts also as I sometimes just need to practice to see how cards go together. lol

No harm intended, except to help me with my readings and figuring out card combinations.

Hugs,
BeyondtheVeil

BeyondtheVeil

cybercat

Looks like your figuring it out. My advice read the book you bought and do not buy another till you have gone threw it and got it down.

I am working threw Andy B book now. It is more to my liking do to a few things but that's personal. I probably will not buy any other book so I can avoid confusion. From seeing a couple of book they all seem to contain spreads and card definitions all from authors point of view. So using and reading more than one Could get confusing.

Quoted from Andy's book which makes a great point.
"You will not be asked to memorise lists; nor will you have to worry about schools’ meanings. There are no such things. Not all readers in Belgium use the Moon for work, just as not all French readers use the Fox. As you will see, the cards are multi-variant, so there is no singular card for employment, et cetera."

Thanks for the advice! :thumbsup: I am currently going to do that as I think you may be on to something lol I was getting very confused by all the different "advice". I also was getting a bit frustrated looking at some books to choose and having the author put down their opinion as "fact" and how to read{their way is the only "correct way" ,and what questions you should/shouldn't ask, etc. I think I have found a book that is more divination than trying to force their opinions on others as truth that everyone else should believe and do.

I like Andy B's paragraph in his book. I believe that and he is the next book that will be coming. I read reviews that say Rana George and Andy B both have the same type of learning/meanings/etc so I think that would be worth checking out also.

Thank you Cybercat for responding and helping reinforce the self learning and seeing how the cards relate to the situations, etc. I am finding that to be true for me. :heart:

Thanks again for responding Sweetie!! {{{{BIG HUGS}}}
BeyondtheVeil

lyricsoul

For the new people starting lenormand or needing so help.. I hope this thread will help you also. Feel free to ask your questions here also in a new post and maybe one of these awesome people will help you out also. :)

I just got my first lenormand deck last week and was insanely confused by the 3 card practice reading I did after tearing it open. They're so different from tarot. I thought they'd be more similar to the Kipper deck which I have a great understanding of/hold on but they're not. I got frustrated and set it aside because I don't want to associate bad energy with my deck.

This thread has helped a lot already in just pointing me in the right direction of figuring out how to work these cards. I'll definitely look into the different "schools" of teaching and which would work best for me. I'll also practice with just one or two card readings and trusting my intuition more then "OMG THE LITTLE BOOK SAYS...!" I'll get the hang of it eventually!

Happy reading~

BeyondtheVeil

lyricsoul

I just got my first lenormand deck last week and was insanely confused by the 3 card practice reading I did after tearing it open. They're so different from tarot. I thought they'd be more similar to the Kipper deck which I have a great understanding of/hold on but they're not. I got frustrated and set it aside because I don't want to associate bad energy with my deck.

This thread has helped a lot already in just pointing me in the right direction of figuring out how to work these cards. I'll definitely look into the different "schools" of teaching and which would work best for me. I'll also practice with just one or two card readings and trusting my intuition more then "OMG THE LITTLE BOOK SAYS...!" I'll get the hang of it eventually!

Happy reading~

:party: WELCOME TO THE AT FORUMS!! :party:

I am so happy that you found the thread lyricsoul and that you are getting some understanding! I would definitely do the Lenormand Journal. One for your practice readings {and leave room to update what actually happened} and one for the Cards like they suggest. I'm finding these to be a huge help!

The book that I bought.. The Essential Lenormand: Your Guide to Precise & Practical Fortunetelling By: Rana George just arrived today. It has a lot of great info in it on helping to learn the cards and then to do two card readings. It has been said in this thread about buying an actual book on lenormand. So, I do encourage you to buy a book on lenormand as it is much helpful than any website/blog or lwb.

I am so excited to do the exercises tomorrow when I have time.

Happy reading to you as well! I hope to see you post a lot! Us Lenormand Newbies need to stick together! lol

Hugs,
BeyondtheVeil

Village Witch

I started with Lenormand before Kipper. I found Kipper very confusing at first due to all the people cards, till I realized some of the people cards (perhaps all) can be read as personality traits. I've only been reading Kipper a few months now. It does take a little getting used to switching between Kipper and Lenormand. A trick I used was to ask the same question of both decks or a daily theme-of-the-day draw with both decks. I find both decks deliver on the same theme.

One thing that tripped me up was trying to match cards between decks. What cards is the Moon in Kipper? That was a mistake! It wasn't until I accepted the two decks as separate methods of divination was I able to read and enjoy both Kipper and Lenormand.

snowmoon

Hi Sweetie!

Thanks so much for your advice! I agree. I am currently only trying to do one card readings.. usually on yes/no. I sometimes attempt to do two card readings or do one card then do a clarifier for the first card. It is coming along, but I am definitely going to need a lot more practice readings and seeing how they play out before I feel like I actually comfortable with it.

Thanks for responding! :heart:
BeyondtheVeil

hi, i do not like to use darw another card as clarifier for the card.. (for tarot, oracle, lenormand cards)

for lenormand cards, i do draw additional cards if there were like scythe shows up as last card.

Barleywine

For line spreads I generally use what has been called the "linguistic" method. I read from left-to-right, taking each two-card combination in order and synthesizing a brief meaning, then making a narrative sentence of the blended meanings. Although I sometimes treat the middle card in an odd-numbered line as the focus and pair it with the cards on either side, from near to far, I find that a straight linear story is usually sufficient to answer a specific question. I think it's important to limit your interpretive palette to only a couple of core meanings for each card, and don't try to inject too much intuitive latitude into your interpretations. Lenormand seems most effective when applied in a literal sense, which is why I prefer tarot for any question that touches on psychological matters.

BeyondtheVeil

hi,

for lenormand cards, i do draw additional cards if there were like scythe shows up as last card.

Hi Snowmoon! {{HUGS}}

I am finding that when I draw a card like that then I also have to draw an additional card to figure out what the scythe/coffin/etc is talking about. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

BeyondtheVeil

BarleyWine

For line spreads I generally use what has been called the "linguistic" method. I read from left-to-right, taking each two-card combination in order and synthesizing a brief meaning, then making a narrative sentence of the blended meanings. Although I sometimes treat the middle card in an odd-numbered line as the focus and pair it with the cards on either side, from near to far, I find that a straight linear story is usually sufficient to answer a specific question. I think it's important to limit your interpretive palette to only a couple of core meanings for each card, and don't try to inject too much intuitive latitude into your interpretations. Lenormand seems most effective when applied in a literal sense, which is why I prefer tarot for any question that touches on psychological matters.

Hi Barleywine! :)

When you lay down your left to right spread. {I also read them left to right}. How do you choose the middle/focus card? Do you just lay it down like.. middle card first.. two on left then two on right? Or just in order.. left to right?

I have done both, but not sure which is correct. I haven't had a lot of time to go through my book yet, so I haven't been doing many lenormand readings.

I also think that lenormand is very 'to the point". My problem is that I got a reading talking about a child being sick or something. It ended up my Pa had a heartattack. I guess the "child" was me instead of a child of mine or I know. I didn't write down the reading, but how do you know 'who' the 'child" is or the 'woman" if you are both or have both? {I'm asking if you can't use intuition.. how do you clearly understand 'who' it's talking about}. I thought the child was going to get sick.

Sorry for more questions.. lol I do find lenormand exactly like you say. It is more blunt.. to the point. It gives accurate yes/no answers and fast readings. I just don't understand them yet, but that isn't lenormand's fault. It reminds me of the tea leaf readings..they are blunt and very accurate. The problem is that I had no idea what the symbols they gave meant until the events happened. Then it was clear.

Thanks for always chiming in to help everyone! :heart:

BeyondtheVeil

Sharla

Beyondtheveil {Relllaxxx} :heart:

The more you relax the more they will flow, stop trying to knows what's right or wrong in card positions etc....put the cards wherever you want them.

Sometimes if i pull 3 cards and want further clarification, ill pull another under or over a card/s to gain more insight....and even pull more if i feel to.

I don't believe there's any right or wrong way, there just cards that's all.

Try with your deck choosing a card and calmly saying the first thing that comes to your mind....your not allowed to think , you just say.

Ok ill try it first <reaches to get cards> i got (Tree) and the 1st thing that came to my mind without conscious thought was "consideration"....and this actually makes sense with tree, as the tree is a slow card. So someones considering something...and i hope its you considering my reply lol. ;)