Copyright issues

tarotbear

It doesn't matter how much money you make or don't make - even if you sell a half-dozen for 10 cents each: once money crosses palms copyrights have been broken. Like the example about the Barbie Tarot - unless you are GIVING it away (no profit- no money changing hands) anytime you use anything that you did not make - in this case - using copyrighted or trademarked dolls- you have copyright laws to deal with.

Giving someone 'credit' ("These dolls were made in the 1970s by Hasbro") is NOT the same as having permission to use them {Permissions have to be granted in writing}, nor does it give you a loophole for not having to pay a royalty to someone.

Yes, it sucks, I know ....

truelighth

Well, I had some time to think it over and come to terms with it more. The Game Crafter will indeed not print this deck without permission from Hasbro. I was just very disappointed, because I put a lot of work into this deck and I wanted to make it available for others who liked it as well. So I was trying to find out if there was any way to get it printed.

But I had to remind myself the main reason I made this deck. Which was not for profit or to make money, but because I love Tarot and I love Pippa. And I did enjoy the process of creating it. Absolutely loved it in fact. And I can at least print a copy for myself (on my printer at home) :).

I will ask Hasbro for permission and perhaps I will get it. If so, the deck will become available at The Game Crafter after all. But I don't expect that it will. It is a pity. But such is life. I guess I should have actually looked into this before thinking up a plan to make a deck and publish it.

tarotbear

I will ask Hasbro for permission and perhaps I will get it. If so, the deck will become available at The Game Crafter after all. But I don't expect that it will. It is a pity. But such is life. I guess I should have actually looked into this before thinking up a plan to make a deck and publish it.

A couple of things: You are not in the USA and copyrights for things from the USA may follow different rules than those in your country. Look at how the copyright on the RWS varies between the UK and USA.

Once you check with Hasbro - you will also be on Hasbro's radar. It works both ways.

If you put something up for sale - no matter where or how or why or who or how much you will attempt to fly under the radar - it is impossible to stay there forever.

There is nothing to stop you from going to MakePlayingCards or Printers Studio and having a single deck made up for your own use; that is allowable under copyright laws.

**** ETA ****

Many companies {like US Games} 'give permissions' all the time; but since you want to sell it - that becomes a commercial proposition and yes - to sell it you may need to pay them a royalty - not once - but every other year or so ... really.

truelighth

Thanks Tarotbear.

Concerning the copyright differences. The original copyright was from Palitoy and that company was in the UK. It is now owned by Hasbro and Hasbro is in the USA. I have no idea what effect that has on the copyright and which actually applies.

I have found a printer here in the Netherlands that can possibly make one copy for just me. I don't get the idea that I can ask the Game Crafter even for that.

About Hasbro, I realize that it works both ways. I will still think about it a bit more. Maybe I will just get a copy for myself and that is that.

tarotbear

I have found a printer here in the Netherlands that can possibly make one copy for just me. I don't get the idea that I can ask the Game Crafter even for that.

If The Game Crafter has already said they will NOT print the deck I doubt they will 'print just one' - but you can still ask them, not fill out the Shop Page info, and leave your deck as 'unpublished' - which you can do on TGC.

If you do not want a box then MakePlayingCards and PrintersStudio can print you exactly one deck - but since they don't market the decks - they just print them - you may have to get permission from them to do so, too. You can always ask.

Technically - almost anything you bring into a 'print shop' to make a photocopy of is already copyrighted and they can refuse to make a photocopy for you if they feel like being bitchy.

truelighth

If The Game Crafter has already said they will NOT print the deck I doubt they will 'print just one' - but you can still ask them, not fill out the Shop Page info, and leave your deck as 'unpublished' - which you can do on TGC.

I originally had one deck printed by TGC as a kind of proof copy. Never filled in the Shop Page info on that. But the deck was too dark, so I contacted customer services and it was then I heared that I could not print it. So I have one copy that I am not happy with.

I will check out MakePlayingCards and PrintersStudio, but if I can get one copy done here in the Netherlands, it will make it a lot easier for me then sending it all off to the US and then back here again.

gregory

Copy shops can be a pain in the butt. I have a music programme on my PC where I can type up music that looks like - well, any other printed music - took it to Staples as I needed 10 copies, and they said they couldn't copy music as it is copyright....

I pointed out that I JUST WROTE IT that morning.

Nope, I couldn't have done because music is all copyright... :mad:

blue_fusion

Truelight is based in Europe but The Game Crafter is based in the US. In a case such as this, which copyright law should be followed? Just an honest inquiry, since some of us are based outside tge US but use The Game Crafter to print our works.

tarotbear

Copy shops can be a pain in the butt. I have a music programme on my PC where I can type up music that looks like - well, any other printed music - took it to Staples as I needed 10 copies, and they said they couldn't copy music as it is copyright....

I pointed out that I JUST WROTE IT that morning.

Nope, I couldn't have done because music is all copyright... :mad:

Why didn't you just print off 10 copies yourself off your own computer?

Truelight is based in Europe but The Game Crafter is based in the US. In a case such as this, which copyright law should be followed? Just an honest inquiry, since some of us are based outside the US but use The Game Crafter to print our works.

The USA's laws - since TGC would have to follow USA copyright laws.

gregory

Why didn't you just print off 10 copies yourself off your own computer?
Several pages; wanted it two sided which was a pain with the printer I had at the time (REALLY wanted it two-up on A3 paper 2 sided actually. Ease of use is important !) shortage of ink....

But even so - that was jobsworth gone mad.