Tarot Basics: Favorite card Assignment

Thirteen

Raven: Nice analysis!

Talisman: Just getting everyone to take a fresh look at the cards. Now do your homework!

Lilliana

My favourite card would have to be the six of wands, especially the rider version.

To me it signifies victory after a long hard struggle. I also see it as representing finally getting what you've been striving for, whether that be something physical, the praise and recognition you feel you deserve or just triumphing despite adversity.

I suppose it's negative aspect could be arrogance (the pride which comes before the fall), false courage, and actually getting what you wish for.

Another one of my favourites would have to be the devil (in it's lighter aspect). I've alsways associated the devil with dionysus (thirteen, I think you also mentioned that too). So for me, the devil card can represent earthly pleasures- lot's of rich food, sex, lust, alcohol, money- everything in absolute excess.

Of course the flip side to this is being bound by all these material pleasures, and not being able to see them for what they really are, and consequently missing out on the spiritual side of life.

Lilli

Thirteen

An interesting "negatives" to the 6 of wands is the "now-I-have-to-top-myself" syndrome. When you get cheers and applause, you can bask in them for a bit, but then you *may* start to feel that you have to do something equally splendid again. And again. And again. You may feel that you're not a success unless you do something that earns you public acclaim. Which can also make you fear (rightfully?) that you could lose that laurel wreath at any time.

So the warning of this card is that while public acclaim and admiration are very satifying, you shouldn't let them be the only measure of your self-worth.

Jewel

Oh Thirteen now this assignment was not fair *LOL* ... I have too many favorite cards to just pick one ... how are the others going to feel? *LOL* Since you have left me no choice but to select one I think I will write about the guy who swept me off my feet and drew me in to the world of Tarot for good ... The Magician from the Robin Wood Tarot.

Ahhhhh what can I say about him. His masculine energy radiates from the card. The depth of his eyes hold promise yet the twist of his lips a hint of the trickster. He has knowledge of the elements and how to use them, and if you perservere he promises to imapart these gifts to you ... mainly because you already possess them, all he will really do is show you the key. The Antlers he wears connect him to the great god above (which he also has his right hand facing up with the infinity symbol) yet the fact that he is flesh and bone connects him to the earth plane, below. Needless to say the fact that he was very attractively painted sure does not hurt ;) ... ~fans herself~ ... and I just wrote all this simply visualizing him ~giggles~.

Now for the potential downside of this Adonis of mine ~giggles~ ... I would say that he can be very seductive and trick you into self delusion. I also get the sense that he would have a nasty temper if pissed off *LOL* ... perhaps it is all the testosterone I feel radiating from him that makes me think that. I sense a clear connection between him and the King of Wands (my other lover *LOL*).

Love & Light,

Thirteen

:-D
Jewel: well, now that you've got us all hot and bothered....

I love your analysis of the Magician and I must say that I think the Robin Wood one of the best depictions. In some decks, the magician is too "magician-y," not human enough. The Robin Wood depicts him as very human, but with divine connections.

The negative of the magician, I've always felt, is that he is a talker. A very smooth talker, but a talker all the same. He symbolizes, after all, that magical believe that words and symbols can create real things, that just by saying, "Light" you can create light. By speaking a wish, you can make it come true, etc.

What this means is that the Magician can charm the birds from the trees, or finess any lady into bed, but it's hard to know if he really means what he says (yeah, sure he'll respect you in the morning....)--or if he means it now but won't mean it later. He is the "bad boy" of the Major Arcana. Which is why we love him. But you really can't rely or trust him, at least not all the time, and not completely. He likes the sound of his own voice a bit too much, enjoys the attention, the power he has. And he will say just about anything, with feeling to get what he wants. Not for the end result, but because he loves the game, the hunt, the manuvers.

Mind you, it's not that he's innately dishonest or cruel, it's just that he is a "Magician." This is what he does. Now you see it, now you don't. Sometimes it entertains, sometimes it tricks, and sometimes it's magic.

Jewel

AquarianGoddess (30 Nov, 2001 11:19):
Ironically, just a few days ago, I discovered that the Chariot is my Year Card for this year. Perhaps that's why I found myself gravitating toward this card from the beginning.

Hi AquarianGoddess :) The chariot is my theme, rhythem, something else AND life potential card! Needless to say once I discovered that I thought it might be a good time to become more intimate with this card. On the positive side this card is about Mastery ... as you said a sense of delicate balance. It is learned balance coming from experience. On the down side what I see is that if the delicate balance is thwarted it can cause all sorts of little and big problems ... a loss of control over situations or aspects of life or self. Of course then it goes back to the positive side of regaining that mastery and control ;)

Love & Light,

Kaz

Again, I used the Rider Waite deck...

My favourite card is V, The Hierophant.
Not because of the picture, but because the meaning the card has or I have given it.
This card means listening to myself and trusting my instincts. The teacher aspect of it, which is always referred to, that I mostly relate to myself, in the end I believe I am my own teacher, I will find my own truth,
This is "the Seeker of Truth" card, and I can identify with it....

Any negative things about this card, it seems like it doesn't have it, so here is my blind spot.

Kaz

Thirteen

Hey, Kaz! Good to see someone who likes the Hierophant. There are people who aren't fond of him and I'll explain why in a minute. At his best, the Hierophant is a wise, warm teacher able to explain the divine in human terms. I like to think of him as a kind of St. Francis, practicing what he preaches, making spiritual lessons simple, clear, real and meaningful. A father figure (or mother!) and mentor.

But this card can also indicate a man who is hide-bound. At his absolute worst, the Hierophant can stand for a teacher, therapist or priest who is completely inflexable. Ridgidly old fashioned, the kind of guy who quotes chapter and verse when you question him, and just generally refuses to think outside the box.

marichan

Which card is your favorite card and why? It is the message/meaning that you like best? The look of it? Or does it just seem to say something to you that other cards don't?

The Empress. She represents love, creativity, motherhood. She is the ultimate woman to me - the figure that nurtures what is within, and helps to make it a reality.

I like that she is drawn pregnant in many decks. To me that shows that she has a spark of mystery and the devine - after all, she is creating a life and will eventually bring it into the world - but whereas the mystery of the High Priestess is otherworldly and somewhat inaccessible, the Empress seems to always offer the embrace of a mother.

Did I also mention that she is my personality (?) card? That's if I remember MeeWah's lesson's correctly!

And...here's the hard part: is there any potential negative aspect to this card, in meaning, that you tend to overlook because you like it so much? One you really should remember?

The negative aspect is obvious to me: smothering. However, I have trouble interpreting this card in this manner. My natural inclination is to read the card in a positive light. It's sometimes hard to interpret the card as a warning to back-off, though it may make more sense in the context of the reading itself or life events.

-mari

fairyhedgehog

I thought maybe the star was my favourite card, but looking through my Hanson-Roberts deck it is Temperance that truly draws me most at the moment. I think it is at least partly the beautiful picture. But something about harmony and balance seem to be part of it, together with the way the angel seems totally absorbed in what it is doing.

I can't think of any negative aspects, I'm not sure I understand the card well enough for that.

All the best,

FH