unlaminated playing card decks?

Le Fanu

Imagine I wanted to take a playing card deck and scrawl my own gypsy meanings all over the cards, which deck would you recommend?

I suppose I could always get a sharpie, or one of those pens for writing on CDs with. But what I'd really, really like is a truly unlaminated playing card deck which I can write on with a regular pen and which I know will not smudge.

Does anyone have this deck? I mean, if this was an authentic reproduction, it wouldn't be laminated, right? Please, someone tell me this one is unlaminated! It's cheap, easily available and has lots of character...

cardlady22

My deck has a light, matte coating. 1864 Highlanders, L.I. Cohen
square corners, no corner indices

Writing my initials on a description/extra card with a fine point Sharpie . . . looks very wet. Blowing gently. Passes the finger press & lift. And the slide!

:( This swipe just smeared. Coming off with a bit of spit and rubbing.

zannamarie

I wonder if something like this might work? It says that just about any home printer would work so I would think you could write on them as well. You might e-mailing them to get their opinion.

The other thought I had is if you have any charity/thrift stores around you, you might check to see if they have any old decks. I see playing cards in those types of shops all the time (here in the US).

Laura Borealis

Attachments

• Squared_Faro_Deck.jpg
    Squared_Faro_Deck.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 207

Le Fanu

I like those Faro cards but cannot find them on amazon here. Will have a proper look elsewhere later. Keep the suggestions coming!

I don't have a printer zannamarie and my dream is to find one that is a bit like the 1864 ones or the ones linked by laura. Something a bit colonial/olde world.

There must be some somewhere....

I have a copy of these reproductions attached, totally unlaminated but I have had them for years and don't intend to write on them. Shame as the cardstock would be perfect. Could make copies at the copy shop but then might as well do it with any deck. And it wouldn't be cheap...

Attachments

• 17th C cards.jpg
    17th C cards.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 200

zannamarie

I don't have a printer zannamarie and my dream is to find one that is a bit like the 1864 ones or the ones linked by laura. Something a bit colonial/olde world.
I assumed that because one could use a printer on them that one could also successfully write on them which is why I made the suggestion.

I didn't realize you were looking for particular card images as well as writeability. The second hand market might still be a good place to hunt for one.

tarot heart

I like those Faro cards but cannot find them on amazon here. Will have a proper look elsewhere later. Keep the suggestions coming!

There must be some somewhere....

I have a copy of these reproductions attached, totally unlaminated but I have had them for years and don't intend to write on them. Shame as the cardstock would be perfect. Could make copies at the copy shop but then might as well do it with any deck. And it wouldn't be cheap...

I have those cards too, Le Fanu, and I agree with you, they're much too nice to write on. Perhaps a second set from ebay or such? Not selling mine, though :laugh:

Perhaps you could try this?

http://yourplayingcards.com/?gclid=COvfybOQuawCFQN-hwodCGw-8g

You can make them in paper or plastic too...HTH

tarotmama

Ooooh! I love those Pharo cards! They'd be PURRFECT for my steampunk ensemble...

Le Fanu, I'll be sending you a box in about a week anyway... If you're desperate, I could probably slip a pack in... ;)