New Introductory Textbook

inanna_tarot

Got this book today and I have been glued to it ever since the postman delivered it! I was a first shocked at how big it was, not in page number but in page size, but its really nicely laid out, with lots of space for good pictures and diagrams that relate to the text.

Its a complete basic 'how to' of traditional astrology, which is a very good source point if later on you want to learn techniques within traditional astrology such as Horary etc. So for someone like me, a newbie into traditional astrology, this book is the great first step into understanding it. Yes, Frawley's Real Astrology is brilliant as well, but consider A+R's book to be all the facts in Real Astrology but without the ranting! All facts and concepts used by various aspects of traditional astrology but nothing superfluous or ranty at all. Its a pleasure to read.

It gives you the complete traditional viewpoint/mindset of the planets, signs, houses and aspects, without any of the modern stuff (although modern planets are dealt with in an appendix for those that feel so inclined to use them). Its an ideal beginners book for budding or enquiring traditionalists as the book will be an ideal building block for whatever branch you want to look into next ie horary, electional etc.

So far my most favourite chapter has been the one about the temperaments, and how important they are when considering how your planets and signs work or not work together. And I understood it! Granted I don't remember much but I've at least understood lol. Its important to get a grasp of the temperaments because they are part of that traditional mindset which is important when using traditional techniques. They relate the dynamics of the planet within a sign, and how planets aspect each other, the temperaments are the WHY I was always trying to find in modern astrology. And this book covers that why really well.

Also, this is the only book I've seen that shows you how to read the 'old fashioned' squared charts as used by Dee, and how the modern circular charts came into being. Really interesting to see how the fashions change even in chart design! Plus now I can look at the old style charts and begin to understand them - curiosity satisfied!

Most of all this book is trying to teach you the philosophy of traditional astrology. It is getting you to think along those lines so you can apply that thinking when interpreting. It is a not a book about 'plant+sign=interpretation' that you see in many modern astrology books. It is about learning the characters and then how they fit or dont fit together.

Fab book and I'm so glad I got it! Really interesting, lots of stuff to learn but all in a very digestible manner. Considering how english isnt even the first language of the authors they do such a marvellous job of explaining everything. I think this book is fantastic and will become a hot classic for those beginning their study of traditional astrology.

Minderwiz

Thanks so much for the review. It's great to hear from a newbie, who's coming across some of these concepts for the first time and finds the book so useful. I'm sure this will be helpful for others considering buying!!

kalliope

Hi everyone -

I've been following the traditional astrology threads, and it renewed my interest in this area. Thank you, especially to Minderwiz for posting so many excellent threads and summaries!

I received my copy of On The Heavenly Spheres last week, and I've been slowly making my way through it. (My attention is so divided at the moment; otherwise I'd be ripping through it.)

I think it's excellent so far, although I'm only 30 pages in. It seems to be just what I need to reset my brain from the Modern mindset, which I began way back when I was 12 or 13 (36 now!), so it's a lot of resetting! Their book is very clearly written and a pleasure to read. I also really appreciate the multitude of figures, diagrams, & charts which stimulate my long-term memory.

A few years back I became interested in horary astrology, and realized I needed some traditional background. I purchased Anthony Louis's horary book and Astrology: Understanding the Birth Chart -- A Comprehensive Guide to Classical Interpretation by Kevin Burk. Burk's book was a decent intro to traditional, to me at the time, but horary just seemed overwhelming, and I gave it up, along with traditional. For whatever reason, between Minderwiz's posts, On The Heavenly Spheres, reading some Bernadette Brady, and my current personal perspective, I'm totally enthusiastic and ready to tackle it this time, and find traditional astrology really appealing right now. I might just make the switch! (But I admit I'll never forfeit my copy of Liz Greene's Relating!)

Hope to see you all around the Astrology sub-forum,
-kalliope

Minderwiz

Hi kalliope,

I'm glad you like it (so far) and it's good for other members to get further reviews.

I also started with Kevin Burk's book when I got interested in the Traditional Approach. Interestingly Kevin Burk and I share the same birthday but not the same Sun sign - it's always worth checking exactly when the Sun enters each sign - so I was particularly drawn to his book.

I also bought Louis' book early on - at the time there were only two other contenders, Olivia Barclay's 'Horary Astrology Rediscovered' (the book that started the revival and still a good read) and Marc Edmund Jones' 'Horary Astrology' (the worst book on the subject and one of the worst Astrology books I've read).