10 of cups and drinking problems

NamasteIndia

Recently a lady wanted to know about her husbands 2011 prospects i drew 11 cards pertaining to each question like finance, health, career and specifically she wanted me to ask about his drinking problems.

For this question i got the 10 of cups i told her that his drinking will continue because the 10 cups on the image were catching my eyes but he will not create a ruckus at home after drinking like earlier since i could see the couple holding hands on the card it was traditional RW deck.

Any inputs.

KariRoad

Hello NamasteIndia,

Perhaps consider the 10 of Cups as the beginning for a further exploration? All by itself it is hard to have one card answer such a complicated question.

And yet we might say, look at the rainbow. The storm is over (for now).

Or too, if there had been a bad storm, why aren't the people sheltered inside their house? The children dance, but not the parents. Can it be real? Is it a projected image..?

So if I may, I would ask about what are the actual "drinking problems" and go from there. The 10 of Cups is a good sign, but there are 4 people on the card, so it is not about just one point of view.

:heart: KariRoad

NamasteIndia

right but in yearly predictions one card is drawn for answering the potential question so i answered it intutively
you are right that the storm is over and it looks happy times even i felt that his drinking problems would decrease.

Valentine Dragon

10 of Cups

Maybe the family just 'does not want to' notice his drinking, or they are giving their backs to his drinking -- (on RWS) the couple is showing their backs, like they rather be happier looking at the rainbow and the cups, but turning away from the 'real' problem, because so far, this is 'good' as it is. It is a 'happy' card, but how happy it is?, is it happy on surface only, or the family should rather realize and FACE the drinking problem and get some counseling. But this is a 'passive' card (water-cups), there is something 'bubbling' underneath, and no push outward is coming.

It's represented by astrological sign of Pisces - which is receptive, and long for energy to sacrifice (self-sacrifice), to need to identify the ideal, to understand and be understood. Maybe he (the drinking husband) tried to please everyone's wishes before he started drinking (long time ago) and there was just ignorance around him, and no-one understood him well.

Also it's Mars in Pisces -- that's the disturbance of the 'happiness' on this card, because Mars is heat and Pisces water, and when you throw a hot iron into a cold water (or let's say hot lava meeting cold water?? eh??) - you get out steam and bubbles -- and with this card it's like heaving lid on a boiling water, trying to keep it 'calm' - that's right now I think the theme in that family - just ignore it, and see the nice 'rainbow' outside.

It is the 10 - which is the ending, but if there is no 'eruption' from outside, this man will continue on, and on.

NamasteIndia

Valentine Dragon said:
Maybe the family just 'does not want to' notice his drinking, or they are giving their backs to his drinking -- (on RWS) the couple is showing their backs, like they rather be happier looking at the rainbow and the cups, but turning away from the 'real' problem, because so far, this is 'good' as it is. It is a 'happy' card, but how happy it is?, is it happy on surface only, or the family should rather realize and FACE the drinking problem and get some counseling. But this is a 'passive' card (water-cups), there is something 'bubbling' underneath, and no push outward is coming.

It's represented by astrological sign of Pisces - which is receptive, and long for energy to sacrifice (self-sacrifice), to need to identify the ideal, to understand and be understood. Maybe he (the drinking husband) tried to please everyone's wishes before he started drinking (long time ago) and there was just ignorance around him, and no-one understood him well.

Also it's Mars in Pisces -- that's the disturbance of the 'happiness' on this card, because Mars is heat and Pisces water, and when you throw a hot iron into a cold water (or let's say hot lava meeting cold water?? eh??) - you get out steam and bubbles -- and with this card it's like heaving lid on a boiling water, trying to keep it 'calm' - that's right now I think the theme in that family - just ignore it, and see the nice 'rainbow' outside.

It is the 10 - which is the ending, but if there is no 'eruption' from outside, this man will continue on, and on.
Thats a nice interpretation and indepth one to a different perspective to see the card.
overall i also felt that he will continue drinking and not that he would stop and there would be peace in the house

Thirteen

A Family's Future

I'm with you on your interpretation. We tend to see the 10/Cups as a happy card and it is if it's relating to emotions. But when a question gets asked about addictions or drinking problems, Cups are not usually positive. They reaffirm that those addictions exist and are not easily stopped.

Take a look at the typical Rider-Waite image. The 10/Cups are within the rainbow that is over the family. I think this means that the drinking problem is not only alive and well, but it's interfering with that "rainbow" and hanging over the home.

Alcoholism is a disease. And if a parent has it, the children are at risk of becoming alcoholics themselves. The husband's drinking affects everyone and not just in the present--10/Cups is about the future, spiritual future, future generations, legacies. What this man is doing now is going to last a very long time. It's doing damage now that will haunt the family forever, damage the kids, destroy the family spirit.

Perhaps next time the woman might ask what she can do to heal and help her family given her husband's drinking problem. Asking the cards about it and hoping that they will tell her that it will go away is not good enough. So long as she keeps herself and her kids in that home with the drinking husband, it will dominate their lives as those cups do in the 10/Cups. The message of that card wasn't just about the future of the man's drinking problem, but of the entire family's future thanks to it.

NamasteIndia

Thirteen said:
I'm with you on your interpretation. We tend to see the 10/Cups as a happy card and it is if it's relating to emotions. But when a question gets asked about addictions or drinking problems, Cups are not usually positive. They reaffirm that those addictions exist and are not easily stopped.

Take a look at the typical Rider-Waite image. The 10/Cups are within the rainbow that is over the family. I think this means that the drinking problem is not only alive and well, but it's interfering with that "rainbow" and hanging over the whole family.

Alcoholism is a disease. And if a parent has it, the children are at risk of becoming alcoholics themselves. The husband's drinking affects everyone and not just in the present--10/Cups is about the future, spiritual future, future generations, legacies. What this man is doing now is going to last a very long time. It's doing damage now that will haunt the family forever, damage the kids, destroy the family spirit.

Perhaps next time the woman might ask what she can do to heal and help her family given her husband's drinking problem. Asking the cards about it and hoping that they will tell her that it will go away is not good enough. As long as she doesn't act, she allows that problem to hang over all over them and dominate their lives as those cups do in the 10/Cups. The message of that card wasn't just about the future of the man's drinking problem, but of the entire family thanks to it.
thats a larger perspective reading true this problems looms all over the family and future generation.
this lady as done everything possible to avert the drinking problem even attending alcohol anonmyous meetings by herself but he is not improving
now she as taken spiritual path of prayer, chanting to improve atmosphere at home.
this is major problem she keeps on asking the cards whether it will go away and everytime i have to tell her that unfortunately she will have to take external help to improve the problem she feels dejected.