Exaltations in Charts

Amanda

On average, how many in a chart? What significance does this hold over the entire chart? If it depends, I have one, and it's Jupiter in Pisces in the 11th House.

Minderwiz

Well actually Jupiter is exalted in Cancer - it rules Pisces (and Sagittarius), there's a difference between these two essential dignities.

Each planet has only one exaltation - Moon in Taurus, Mercury in Virgo (which it also rules), Venus in Pisces, Sun in Aries, Mars in Capricorn, Jupiter in Cancer and Saturn in Libra.

I've not seen a probability distribution for exaltations but clearly they are related to either the week, month or year you were born (depending on the planet) The Moon passes through Taurus each month, spending just over two days in the sign. wherease Saturn passes through Libra once every 29 years (approx) but spends around 2.5 years in the sign.

Also Mercury and Venus cannot both be in exaltation at the same time, neither can Sun and Mercury.

There's a fair chance that Sun and Venus ARE in exaltation at the same time, when Venus is the evening star. So in those circumstances there's a window of a couple of days when the Moon too is in exaltation.

Amanda

Minderwiz said:
Well actually Jupiter is exalted in Cancer - it rules Pisces (and Sagittarius), there's a difference between these two essential dignities.

Crap. Thanks for telling me, I went to a psychic/astrologer and she told me that combination I have was "exalted" - but it's not? That's how she explained it to me, could she have been looking at something else along with that? Or did she just not know what she was talking about?

I've not seen a probability distribution for exaltations but clearly they are related to either the week, month or year you were born (depending on the planet) The Moon passes through Taurus each month, spending just over two days in the sign. wherease Saturn passes through Libra once every 29 years (approx) but spends around 2.5 years in the sign.

Oi. That seems like too much work to figure out, especially since now I've been mistaken on what an exaltation is.

Minderwiz

Amanda_04 said:
Crap. Thanks for telling me, I went to a psychic/astrologer and she told me that combination I have was "exalted" - but it's not? That's how she explained it to me, could she have been looking at something else along with that? Or did she just not know what she was talking about?

well unless she is using an off the wall version of Astrology (and there are many weird variants), it's possible she just made a slip. I would be loathe to say that she doesn't know what she's talking about based on one error.