Diary of Broken Soul

shadowdancer

First up can I say thanks to Ash for letting me share in some of the journey to date, and also a huge thanks for posting my poem about how I view this deck, on the website. (The title is shown in two places/ways but that is for you to discover)

I don't think there is a thread as yet dedicated to this deck on this forum. As it is now past the creation process and is a deck in its own right, (it is due back from printers shortly) I feel it might now be a good time to start discussing the deck in the "tarot decks" forum.

I would like to start that ball rolling. :) :)

So, any comments, thoughts, and eventual insights once the deck reaches its new homes can be posted here.

Davina

divinemsm

I love how Ash incorporated both standard Tarot suits together with standard playing card suits. I think those that started out reading regular playing card decks as well as those who would like to learn how to read a plain standard playing card would find these very facinating. And the art work is elegant and soulful. I am extremely excited that we will be getting this deck soon!!

shadowdancer

Yeah I was surprised at first but you are right - it can be used as a playing card deck, or by those who prefer to use playing cards to read with. I found it easier to adapt to that (being a diehard tarot user) than I thought I would but that is down to the fact the images are so evocative whilst staying in line with the designated suit. This deck will be very versatile and I for one cannot wait to give the house build a try. Might help me stand out from other readers when I am reading at festivals/fayres etc

Davina

divinemsm

I agree with you about the images. I have seen another Tarot deck try this. They either have images that swallow the secondary playing card suit by being overwhelming, or they ignore the Tarot suits solely for the playing card suit. Ash's cards are extremely well balanced. I think by being black and white on a black background, the corner suit markings compliment the images like a nice pair of earings, lol. And sitters will find the familiarity of the playing card suits comfortably relateable.

sacredashes

:heart: Hey, you guys.. thank you for this. :heart::heart::heart:

I have to go do something very important now but when I get back, I'll be e-mailing pictures to Davina; of how and what the deck looks like in action. All built up and flipped this way and that... it IS a lot of fun :laugh: Can't wait for you guys to try it too!!! Very }) Jahanamian, if I may say so myself.

We took a lot of tries to finally get the mechanics right.. and boy, that in itself was a roller-coaster ride. :laugh: Some days, I'm hot... some days, I'm cold... but other days, I was put in the pot so I can't burn the whole house down. Its like that quote about finding out all the ways NOT to do something before you find the solution by Edison... I really know what he meant after this whole experience.

Since I can't post images up myself.. being a non-subscriber and all... I've to ask my guardian angel, the shadowdancer to do it for me... :)

Later though.. I have to finish something up before I can do that. Big round of kisses to you both!!

:heart:
Ash

Jaqueline

Looks interesting - might have to try this one.

Dusk Till Dawn

I think that concept is great! I can't wait to try it!

BlueDragonfly

::sigh:: and another one goes on the wishlist! lol

I really love the look of this deck!

~BD~

shadowdancer

Well here are a few pics of the house building possible with the deck, and there will be loads more I know - I have seen a website where the cards created other structural forms if that makes sense. Ash will no doubt come in with some more comments once she has finished her further building experiments :D :D - these here are just to give a flavour for now.

There can be as many levels as you wish, so you can incorporate 'small' spreads with few cards, or be more elaborate and really go for it.

Already my mind is buzzing as to what the different levels or floors could represent, if the card is facing inwards (shows affect on you, or something you are working on) if it is facing outwards (what you are giving off or portraying to the world) .... lots more I could think of but will wait until I see more myself :D

if you are baulking at the idea of creating this in 3D it doesn't matter - the slits are discreet so cards can still be used in the orthdox 2D way. I know I will have to do this at one of my venues as the table I have is the size of a shoe box - I use a piece of wood with a slit running through to have the cards shown vertically to save space.

Not sure if this is allowed (it is the website for the deck and is not taking anyone to anywhere else) you can see thumbnail of the page of wands here:
http://diary.tarotsmith.net/cards/wands11.html

Attachments

• The_Diary_-_house_of_cards_Top_View_Small.jpg
    The_Diary_-_house_of_cards_Top_View_Small.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 596
  • The_Diary_-_house_of_tarot_cards_Back_Profile_View_Small.jpg
    The_Diary_-_house_of_tarot_cards_Back_Profile_View_Small.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 445
  • The_Diary_-_house_of_tarot_cards_Front_View_Small.jpg
    The_Diary_-_house_of_tarot_cards_Front_View_Small.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 426
  • The_Diary_-_house_of_tarot_cards_Tall_Front_View_Small.jpg
    The_Diary_-_house_of_tarot_cards_Tall_Front_View_Small.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 425

victoria.star

Oh Ash!!
It is almost as if my hopeful younger heart put out a wish and, 20 + years later, your Diary answered it...
I know this sounds kind of sentimental, but I remember vividly sitting on the floor of the home I grew up in, shuffling a well-worn pack of playing cards (they actually said 'Salem' on them, as they were from a pack of menthol cigarettes) and trying to build build build houses...

and then the images! I shouldn't have had such a broken soul at so young an age, but, hey, that's life :)

Thank you, Ash, thank you, for sharing your Tarot vision with the world. :heart: