Your most UNREADABLE deck

nisaba

Yes, but all those decks have recognisable pictures on them. The Ironwing doesn't -

officialmothman

Definitely the Tyldwick. For one, the titles on the cards themselves muddle together and can literally be difficult to read. On top of that, the whole stately empty house thing ended up being super creepy. It gives off weird vibes and I almost never pick it up. Has a tendency to go above and beyond bluntness into the realm of meanness, as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nemia

I found the Jungian and the Art of Life tarots so unreadable that I let them go.

The Jungian was so stiff and ugly, the faces on the cards so robotic, that I couldn't get the slightest whiff of life or meaning.

And the Art of Life was a combination of great art (that speaks its own language and IMO shouldn't be squeezed into the tarot system) with trivial quotations that looked as though they had been chosen per search function from a quotations website. Naff frame. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it.

Of those that I own now? Margarethe Petersen. Good art, but doesn't speak to me at all. I'm still giving it a chance. I wanted to have it so badly but it's so intensely personal and I feel we don't really fit together, the deck and I.

The Blake and Holy Grail demand so much "getting into" that I didn't really tackle them yet. I tried to read with them intuitively, with mixed results. I find them both quite difficult to read with.

And I found the Holy Light completely unreadable. I tried to study it but felt rebuffed by the deck. I didn't get any answer except for "no comment". So I let it go.

baconwaffles

El gran tarot esoterico.

Definitely intriguing, quirky and deep but the deck does not like me one bit, I found it mean and a bit off putting. I actually gave it away quickly.

Metafizzypop

El Gran Tarot Esoterico

Definitely intriguing, quirky and deep but the deck does not like me one bit, I found it mean and a bit off putting. I actually gave it away quickly.

I have that deck and it's a favorite. Just goes to show how different people's tastes can be, lol.

The only thing that's off-putting to me is that all the people in the Courts and Majors have great big gigantic bags under their eyes. But I do like the deck a lot, and get decent readings.

FLizarraga

For me, the most baffling, and probably the ones I tried hardest to connect with, were two gorgeous, much loved decks: the Greenwood and the Tyldwick. They just refused to make any sense, and, in the case of the Tyldwick, almost destroyed my eyesight --it's so hazy and murky, you can hardly see a thing.

Though the undisputed queen of haziness for me was the Lavender Blob, aka Shadowscapes --another lovely, undecipherable mess.

Citrin

The Raven's Prophecy! :/ The book is great, but when I looked at the cards I just didn't see the meanings that went with them. I tried ignoring the book, just going by intuition, and it went a little bit better but the messages were very short and flat... Too bad, beautiful deck, just traded it...

I also have trouble reading with decks that have mainly portrait-style art. The messages just turn out too flat and vague.

mabcosmic

I only read with the Rider-Waite (Universal version) so I don't read with any other decks. However, I like to look at other decks, flip through them, read the books they come with and learn from them.

Many of them I can definitely see being "readable" because of their symbolism and artwork. Even if I don't read them, I can see other people reading with them. Reading the books that come with the decks gives me a greater appreciation for why the deck is constructed the way it is, and what the deck creators have in mind for interpreting the cards.

Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of decks that I can't fathom other people reading with them. This is either because they are way too pretty and devoid of substance and symbolism, purposefully bizarre, or manufacture as much complex imagery that it's stimulus overload. I think there is a necessary balance between artwork and symbolism to make a deck readable.

mrpants

For me, and I tried it for years, the Fergus Hall Tarot of the Witches has eluded my abilities.

jema

Though the undisputed queen of haziness for me was the Lavender Blob, aka Shadowscapes --another lovely, undecipherable mess.

lol, I was actually gonna mention that one but decided to pick only decks I still own. The Shadowscapes I gave away to a friend who seems to love it.