Everyday Witch Tarot delayed until Feb 2017

celticnoodle

I would be really curious to learn what you love about this deck. So far, the pictures I've seen online did not really click with me. Too many striped pants, a bit silly. But it happened so often that I could not discover something in a deck when I saw the promo pictures, but when I was holding it in my hands... I fell in love.

So, please tell me what makes you connect to this one :)

I love the whimsical nature of the deck. I esp. love the 5 of wands, and the Fool card too. :) The High Priestess card is cool. The Ace of cups is good too. I haven't seen all the cards yet, but I also love the 7 of cups card and the 9 of pentacles makes me laugh too. I hope the cards I haven't yet seen will be just as good for me! I also like the backs of the deck too.

Belinda2

How frustrating for me, on the Canadian side of the border! But I am happy for you :) did you buy the deck, Belinda?

Not yet I went there to buy another deck as a birthday gift and that is where my funds had to go for now.

Linfang

Thank you all for your feedback! I probably took the deck too serious. When I look at the pictures now, I indeed start seeing the whimsical and humorous side of it. I hope for a Fool's Dog app. For me, these apps are a great way to find out if I need a deck before spending the full amount.

How do you like the book? Is it on the "don't take things too serious"-side as well?

Michellehihi, it was the cats making me look at it twice. I am a staunch believer in the fact that you cannot have enough cat decks :)

ayuryogini

Thank you all for your feedback! I probably took the deck too serious. When I look at the pictures now, I indeed start seeing the whimsical and humorous side of it. I hope for a Fool's Dog app. For me, these apps are a great way to find out if I need a deck before spending the full amount.

How do you like the book? Is it on the "don't take things too serious"-side as well?

Michellehihi, it was the cats making me look at it twice. I am a staunch believer in the fact that you cannot have enough cat decks :)

The book is beautiful, full color of each card. And yes, a very little light-hearted optimistic tone.

Even though I'm not a cat fan, I really love this deck, mainly because of the art work and upbeat nature of it. It's a feel good deck all around, to me.

Essjay

I can't wait for this deck. I have a couple of Deborah Blakes's books and like her writing so am looking forward to the guidebook too. This is a great review from YouTube: -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x88cbMLZ6F8 (I hope this is allowed?).

I like the art work and, I think, from what I've seen, all of the cards. I just wish I didn't have to wait until Feb 1st!

DaughterOfDanu

I picked up a copy of this yesterday at the bookstore and the more I work with it the more I like it. It's very lighthearted and I haven't worked with a deck that has that vibe in a while. I feel like it's the more playful sister of the Green Witch Tarot. I find it works great with small spreads and is very easy to read. :) The book is also very nice quality.

Padma

I picked up a copy of this yesterday at the bookstore and the more I work with it the more I like it. It's very lighthearted and I haven't worked with a deck that has that vibe in a while. I feel like it's the more playful sister of the Green Witch Tarot. I find it works great with small spreads and is very easy to read. :) The book is also very nice quality.

Oh, good to know! I can't wait for my deck to ship out. It won't until sometime in Feb according to Amazon. I checked the author's website on etsy, and the deck would end up costing me twice as much if I include postage, if I order it through her. So I am going to have to wait!

I'm glad you are enjoying it, Danu! In heavy times like these, a cheerful deck would be a fine thing :)

Essjay

Oh, Amazon U.K! Today should be release day but they've marked it as dispatching in 1-2 months. I've cancelled it as BD has it on my pre-order price and in stock. Hopefully it should be with me by Monday (and they have 8 left, in case anyone's tempted :grin:).

Aeric

Ugh, I dislike this one. This is just a nicer looking version of the Witchy or the Pagan deck.

It really bugs me that the whimsical fun pointy hat witch image continues to be for mostly-female decks only, and men are present only in male-titled cards like the Kings. The pop witch Charmed/Craft/Practical Magic/Willow Rosenberg archetypes are 20 years old now and firmly established. They've been fantastically influential and helpful to millions, but in the 21st c. they're now a real obstacle for lighthearted representation of male witches.

Men must be the ceremonial occultists, the Harry Potter non-religious wizards, or where pagan/witch decks are concerned, the friendly but serious priests. We'll be your kings on thrones in robes and tunics, but we can't be 3 of Cups brewing a fun party potion with our two friends in our pointed hats with our cat familiars nearby.

Men can't be whimsical and have fun with witchcraft in Tarot. We can't wear the pointed hats, brew potions in cauldrons with dainty flowers and herbs, ride brooms through the air in the moonlight, or cast colourful spells with our wands that don't involve something JK Rowling would think of.

The best witch Tarot with men for me is still Green Witch, but that's yet another serious solemn dedication to witchcraft. Come on. Men can be wild and wacky witches too. We learned how to be that from all the women pop witches! There's such a taboo on displaying men being lighthearted witches.

Padma

Because of Aeric's message, I thought maybe I should list what male cards there are in the deck, and whether or no they have hats etc. Doing this for others who also may worry about the ratio.

Cards featuring men in this deck: Page Cups (witch hat, broom and cape), Ten Cups, 4 Pents, 6 Pents, Devil, Lovers, 4 Cups, Six Cups (witch hat), Page of Swords (books and broom) Knight Swords (riding broom, cape), Knight Cups (riding broom, cape), King Swords (cape), Two Cups (witch hat and cat of his own), Magician (cat of his own), King Wands (cape and cat), Three of Pents, Ten Pents (cats, brooms), Page Pents (cat, broom, cloak), Knight Pents (cat, broom), Two of Wands (cloak, two cats), King Pents, King Cups (cat, broom, cloak), Emperor (cat, cloak), Page Wands (cat, broom, witch hat), Knight Wands (cat, witch hat, cloak, broom).

So yes, while the majority of cards are women, still, many light-hearted men in this deck with witches hats and brooms ;) I think Silver Witch has more men in the cards, if I recall.

I got mine today and I am just madly in love! It's great - cheerful and cheeky, refreshing and light, while still mostly keeping to the traditional RWS theme. The box is lovely (magnetic snap book box) the book is glossy, the pages have lovely borders. The tone is wise yet light and optimistic. The card stock is decent, mat, shuffles well. The cards have no borders on them. The deck has a nice weight to it for shuffling.

My fave cards so far are the Tower, the Emperor (cause...German Shepherd dog), Strength, World; 9 Pents. I haven't had time to study each card in great detail, but this looks like a fun and interesting deck - a breath of fresh air in these politically heavy and dark times! The deck reminds me of spring and summer.