Moth's message ?

samantha

I was just about to get into the car last night when I noticed a largish symmetrical shape on the opposite car park wall. Wow I thought, that looks like a moth but surely not as it must be the largest moth Ive ever seen ? Closer inspection proved it to be a deaths head moth . It was almost the length of my palm with the tell tale *scull* pattern on it's thorax. I found it very beautiful (sorry can't get image to attach) with gorgeous brown creams and hint of Amber colouring. And simply amazing to find it where it was (found out that they do live in Asia, but neither I nor my husband -who is local - have ever seen one before.)

Anyway, I got to wondering about moths as animal (ok insect!) guides. My first thought was the way they are attracted to the light. Perhaps I am being told that *there is light at the end of the tunnel* ? Alternatively not to become attracted to somehing which will turn out to be bad for me in the long run ? (Am currently looking for new accommodation) . otherwise, to expect some kind of transformation (as butterflies) ? I guess I should really be considering the skull motif, as this really set it apart from other moths. Again, it seems to suggest an ending . Im hoping it's not a literal omen as both my grandparents are very old now with not that much time left.

The moth remained completely still (not even an antennae twitch) as I gazed and took some photos of it. The camera flash didnt phase it at all ( I read that they actually squeak if annoyed !!)

Any other thoughts on what this moth might represent much appreciated :)

zannamarie

Sounds like a message to stay still with regards to your current building issue. Do your best not to draw attention to yourself even though others may see you as something interesting.

I did find some photos of it on the internet and it's one interesting looking insect!

samantha

Thanks Zanna. I found out today that the area/apartment complex which was, probably, at the top of my list is ear marked for a huge amount of development. (Think noise, trucks, dust, and generally ugly mayhem.) Of course the developers will only start when they feel that the time is ripe (which could be 6 months from now, or 3 years - always tricky to say here) BUT once it starts it won't be completed until 6 years later. This is a big risk to take, so you may be right that I am being asked to keep vey very *still* !! Unfortunately I only have another 3 weeks before I have to make up my mind as to where we live .....AAAAGGGHHHH ! Anyway, thanks for the input, and yes, it really was a beautiful moth :)

celticnoodle

I've only ever once seen a huge moth of comparison size and, it too, was in a garage. I was visiting my daughter and she and I were headed out to shop, walked into the garage to find this large moth flying around and then it soon stopped on the wall. It was an amazing experience, to be honest, as we had never seen nor heard of such a large moth before. I'm not sure what type it was, but it was very white in color.

At the time, I didn't think of looking up what message it could've held for us then, but after reading your post, I decided to do so. I found this about a moth and it seems appropriate for you after reading your post-

http://funkman.org/animal/insect/mothfamily.html

Moth’s Teachings Include:

"Like Butterfly, Moth shows us the ability to transform, to change, to develop ourselves in accordance with our current situation and future ideals. Do not be afraid of the shadows or the darkness for remember, it is only in these that we can find light." Copyright: Unknown

“Moth asks that we put our fears and limitations aside and speak to Spirit without expectation.” Copyright: “Animal Dreaming”, Scott Alexander King.

and this, from the same site:

Moth’s Advice Includes:

"To gain your wings, you need to sacrifice the caterpillar of self. Pause for a while." Copyright: "Australian Tarot Deck", Ann Fitzgerald-Williams.

further down on the bottom of that site is a link about your type of moth that you saw, which was very interesting to read-

http://funkman.org/animal/insect/sphingidae.html

Wonderful experience! thank you for sharing. :)

samantha

Many thanks for the posts CN ! :) I especially liked the part about having to look for the *sweetness* of life in spite of contradictions !! Also the advice to embrace the shadows/dark. I think Im doing that currently as my SO and I decided to just go for one of our (housing) options even though there are some concerns which cannot be resolved before signing on the dotted line (so, as the shadows they just need to be lived through....) We paid the deposit a few hours ago, so no going back! There is also a typhoon heading our way. Hope the moth finds a nice safe place to sit it out ((((((Deathsheadmoth)))))) - actually, maybe it already knew of its arrival and was hunkered down....

moon_light

This reminded me of a poem by Don Marquis called "the lesson of the moth." I think you can draw a few things from it:

i was talking to a moth
the other evening
he was trying to break into
an electric light bulb
and fry himself on the wires

why do you fellows
pull this stunt i asked him
because it is the conventional
thing for moths or why
if that had been an uncovered
candle instead of an electric
light bulb you would
now be a small unsightly cinder
have you no sense

plenty of it he answered
but at times we get tired
of using it
we get bored with the routine
and crave beauty
and excitement
fire is beautiful
and we know that if we get
too close it will kill us
but what does that matter
it is better to be happy
for a moment
and be burned up with beauty
than to live a long time
and be bored all the while
so we wad all our life up
into one little roll
and then we shoot the roll
that is what life is for
it is better to be a part of beauty
for one instant and then cease to
exist than to exist forever
and never be a part of beauty
our attitude toward life
is come easy go easy
we are like human beings
used to be before they became
too civilized to enjoy themselves

and before i could argue him
out of his philosophy
he went and immolated himself
on a patent cigar lighter
i do not agree with him
myself i would rather have
half the happiness and twice
the longevity

but at the same time i wish
there was something i wanted
as badly as he wanted to fry himself

samantha

So sorry moon_light, I completely missed this.

Many thanks for taking the time to type the poem out :) I like Marquis - I first encountered him (and mehetibel :) ) over 30 years ago, but maybe this one is new to me. I liked the lines about getting bored with *the routine* . I think this could well be true. Although I have only been back "home" 3 weeks after 10 months away, it is already beginning to feel like *same old, same old*, so I am probably envious of the moth too. Have also just bought some candles !!!