Waite's description of the Hermit

Herodotus

I think he saw the Hermit, in one of its aspects, as an apostate. He is a bearer of light but has denied Truth. This is how he sometimes describes Lucifer—as "light-bearing but lapsed."

To me a better meaning for Etteilla's Capuchin would be apostate or defector, rather than traitor.

I like this explanation a lot.

I noticed in Etteilla's Hermit, there is what appears to be a temple or monastery in the background. The Hermit is very much on the outside. I hadn't given much thought to potential symbolism there until you said this, but it makes much more sense to me now.

And this actually gives me some new insight on a question about the Hermit in Crowley's deck that I'd asked on that forum. One book on Crowley's Tarot made a point to compare the Hermit to the Devil, but without elaborating on why. I was curious and asked on that forum; I got some satisfactory answers, but this comparison to Lucifer is a very interesting take that, while not directly associated with the Thoth, helps to bring the Big-Picture-Hermit more into focus, if that makes any sense.

Apostate. I like that.