Modern Marseilles

Rasa

Called the Mythical Creatures Tarot- they sent out an email asking for interested people to sign up.

http://baba-store.us1.list-manage2.com/subscribe?u=6c702abf1992402f857283f1c&id=bbcc89e781

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=6c702abf1992402f857283f1c&id=ab0ad82230&e=[UNIQID]

They also have a bit of info on Facebook as well

:)

Ah OK, thanks.

I did know about that deck, and am looking forward to it, but wouldn't really consider it Marseilles.
The majors seen pretty nontraditional. I do like the look of the pips, though.

Rasa

I had never seen Mon Tarot de Marseille before, and now I want it! I found tarotland.com accessible, and the deck is there for purchase, but the site is only in French and I don't see an option to ship to the US. Does anyone have suggestions?

I just ordered it through that site (you guys are a bad influence!), without a problem.

When I clicked to buy and added my shipping information (for Canada), it just added shipping cost to my total.

I'm really looking forward to getting this deck! What's the cardstock like?

To me, the pips are not actually very Marseilles... No floral embellishments, no curved swords, etc. But the whole thing was just too gorgeous!

Penthasilia

Thanks for posting that- I was happy to see tarotland now open and have ordered one for myself too! :)

Sherryl

Marseille Sophistique published by threepointcomics.com. Designed by contemporary comic book artists but looks like an old woodcut with nice, soft colors. Very traditional imagery. I have a review on my blog at tarot-heritage.

(I wish someone would explain why I get chastised for putting a link to additional information, while others self-promote to their heart's content).

blue_fusion

How about the Piatnik Wien (whose style I really love)?

I did four takes on the Marseille - el Tarot de Marcelino, TAROT Tarot, Tarot de Maria Celia and Tarocchi di Marcelo Inciso (notice the puns on the names? :D)I drew them based on the older decks, but with some leeway in terms of imagery. I have a friend who would refer to thse kinds of decks as 'Neo-Marseilles' instead of actual Marseilles, to address certain semantic issues, as LRichard pointed out.

The Marseille Sophistique is another beautifully rendered modern deck. Pablo Robredo is doing a beautiful woodcut version, and I think Yves did a wonderful set of majors-only linocuts some time back? I think Chronata also did a Noir take on it?

Richard

Wilfried Houdouin is working on an original TdM, inspired to some extent by the Pierre Madenié.

MissChiff

I received the Marseille Sophistiqve in the mail today and i just want to comment on the card stock... It really reminds me of the kind that was used on the Holy Light Tarot...It or really nice and the colors are soft pastel really beautiful.. They are a little thick but they should soften up nice with some use..

blue_fusion

I forgot to mention the Keishobou Tarot. It's not strictly Marseille because it has scenic minors (among other things). It's interesting enough, though, as the minors are RWS scenes rendered in the visual style of the Marseille's majors (the majors are also in the same style).