Thoth Study Group -- shall we?

wigwag

Hi guys,

I have the thoth deck and have found it to be very honest.

I haven't got a book to go with it and work only intuitively with it. Which I find easy with this deck.

I would love to join the study group and expand my knowledge and perhaps add a bit of my own.

Cant wait

Temperance413

Kaz and Jewel
Just wanted to let you know that the book you had mentioned, (banzhaf) is the one I had quoted from, just gave the the sub title for it. That would be a good one to use, but I am game for whatever would make the best study aid. The Book of Thoth seems a bit dense to me, I have it and quit reading it after the first two chapters, but if I must, I guess I will:)

Marie

silvereye

I also use Tarot: Mirror of the Soul and there's another one called
Mirror of Relationships.
Which books do other use?

Temperance413

JOYA250 Where are you, is it a go, or what!!!!!!!!!!

Kimon

Hello,

just a suggestion:
When I saw "Thoth Study Group" I was at once interested, but then I was disappointed to see that it was again going to be a card-by-card thing, where everyone describes what this or that card meant to him/her. I dont mean that this is wrong or even negative; for me this is interesting, but offers no real point to discuss and to learn something new, because in the end all these points of view are valid, as there is no one here that doesnt know tarot at all.
What do you think about being more specific and detailled in the topics of this study group? For example: How do you interpret the net structure at the Highpriestess or the peacock at the Knight of Cups or the two heads (child and old man) at the Queen of Swords or the horns of the Fool? Maybe starting at more concrete points we will get much deeper into understanding each card and learn more of each other.
I dont know, this is just an idea.

Greetings,
Kimon

TallTarotGuy

Hey, I'm all for a Thoth Study Group myself. The Thoth deck is one of my absolute favorites (even though I haven't been studying the Tarot for very long). I have the Arrien, Ziegler, & Banzhaf books, though the Arrien & Ziegler are my favorites.

I'm game for any approach to studying the cards.

Brad

moondust

Hi all,
Just joined here yesterday and am excited to see a Thoth study group trying to form.
I am willing to go with whatever form everyone agrees to, but I think I echo some other posts in being tired of going by a card by card basis, and like the idea of looking at a card or series of card as related to an element or a number, etc. Since this would be a deeper level, perhaps a theme a week??
Is there anyone who is really experienced in tarot and the Thoth deck that could be the guide??
Open to anything.
moondust

Jewel

Kimon, I agree with you totally. That is why I was suggesting using a text so that we could go deeper into the deck. I agree that going card by card and seeing what others thoughts and experiences are is helpful, but to me they are more helpful as examples. I really want to sink my teeth into this deck so I am looking for something more than a card by card review of the deck. The 78 Degrees of Wisdom workgroup has been wonderful because we are applying knowledge from the text to various decks and I am learning sooooo much! I am hoping that this group can be similar in nature to the 78 DW group, but solely focused on the Thoth deck. Thirteen also provided some excellent exercises in the Tarot Basics that perhpas could be used, in the study of this (and any other) deck. Perhaps we could even incorporate some appropriate exercises from other sources as well (Tarot for Yourself and 78 Degrees of Wisdom for example). I am just brainstorming here and would love to hear what you guys think.

Perhaps the question we need to ask ourselves is, what do I want to get out of this group? For me that would be basic working knowledge of the deck and its symbolism.

Love & Light,

Kaz

I second your post here Jewel....

Kaz

Temperance413

alright Jewel :) I really want to get a working relationship with the deck so I can use it without being intimidated. Someone had mentioned who would be the group lead, I think we should get someone in here who would be willing to use different text, and a variety of approaches so that we can get a lot out of the study. A card by card study is helpful, but....This deck deserves a bit more respect then that.

But I want to start! Like yesterday! Anybody game?