Thoth Study Group -- shall we?

Red Feather

Thoth study group

Hello group , just wanted to add that when I use the thoth cards I also use the Moon Oracle cards which have the year, day, time of the phases of the Moon at the back of the book. When we are dealing with tarot it also involves the Moon phases in my opinion, and many other factors that must be considered.

Kimon

Hello Red Feather,

that´s very interesting; don´t know much about this topic.
Can you tell me more?

Thanks and greetings,
Kimon

Tarot Hermit

Hi everyone,

I would very much like to join this study group. I have used the Thoth deck from the time it was first published and find that I am constantly amazed at what I discover in it. As an example, in another group that I read someone asked what the words were on the propeller like wings on the helmet of the Knight of Swords. In all the time I have used this deck I never noticed that, so I got my handy dandy magnifying glass out and sure enough it does look like there are words on the wings, what there are I cannot make out for sure. Someone suggested it looked like the four directions and they do, but what does that imply? I don't know as yet, but I am certainly thinking about it. I still use the Thoth as my primary deck in reading for others, myself and meditation. I think Kimon had an interesting suggestion in more or less dissecting the cards and discovering how the symbols relate to deeper meanings of the cards. Another suggestion that I would make is not to limit ourselves to just one book. I have most of those that have been mentioned, but that would not be nesessary for everyone. In fact it could open up one's views of the cards without having to make major exjpenditures as you could benefit from somone else having a different book. Just a few thoughts for what it is worth.

Tarot Hermit

starangel

Hi,

I am also very interested in joining this study group. Since I am very new and unexpirienced with this deck I like the idea of not going card by card...

I think everytime I do a reading or even just handling the deck that it has a very powerful force to it...that is why I was fascinated with it in the first place.

Now I am so ready to learn, learn, learn, because I often feel mislead by my own interpretation. The Toth deck is just so full of meaning and variety.

Eagerly waiting,

starangel

Temperance413

Okay then, whoever is interested in studying the Thoth deck for all it's worth, lets just begin.

A system that works to help learn the cards is to seperate the deck into three groups. Major, Minor and Court cards.
After this is done place the stacks in front of you, Court, minor, major, in that order.

Every day shuffle normally and pull a card from each of the piles. It helps to keep them on a dresser or table or even in front of your keyboard so they are always handy to look at and ponder. Whatever works for you. In this way you gain insight into how the Court represents your different personality types and "masks that you wear" The minor represents any given situation and the majors advice on how to deal with the situation.
Doing this everyday as a general reading to help with daily events is advantagious because you learn the deck, it involves meditation with the cards, and you practice for other readings.

So,

I pulled

Prince of Disks: For the mask I wear or the type of personality I'm expressing today.

10 of Swords(r): For the situation

The Sun; how to deal with the situation.

The Prince of Swords, says that I need to sharpen ones sense of reality. Nothing can bowl me over today. the cycle of the seasons are playing out and right now, spring is here, or on the way leaving death behind. A good thing for me :)

10 of Swords: thank goodness there are no reverses, less to remember, so the cards says to basically put an end to it. Something that has burdened me or oppressed me in the past, is over, done. This would deal with my mother and our relationship. Which is right on again.

The Sun: This card says to be yourself, happy and not let things get you. Handle things with love and care and your world will be sunny, content and happy.

Looking at the cards and what happened today, I had to tell my mother to bud out of my life, way too inquisative for my liking. Something that has plaged me most of my adult life. I may have hurt her feelings, but I was true to myself and family, and in the long run everyone will be happier.

This deck is so powerful.

So if this seems like a good idea, we could all pull cards this way and comment on them to clarify the meaning. We could get into the different symbols on each card We could use the moon oracle and talk about phases of the moon and what part it plays, we could use all books, and eventually we will learn the whole deck.

Let me know how this works, it's just my suggestion, but I'm getting antsie waiting to start!

Temp

SunElf

Hi there. I just got the deck on Friday, and have been busy trying to gather all the interpretations/meanings/etc. I can. Anyway, I was looking at a few of the cards last night and two things about two cards stuck out at me. So, I thought I'd throw them out here for the sake of throwing it out :)

First, about the Knight of Disks, and how he's looking up towards that mountain. The Knight of Disks, from what I've read ;), is symbolzing that the person, or qualities inherent within our own nature, are authoritarian figures, and also that they are able to act on their ideas to make them happen--or, climb a mountain to get it done ;]

Second, about the Knight of Cups, and how he's looking towards that cup and his horse is looking back. I'm not sure what the symbolism of the crab is--I really need to learn the zodiac, etc. However, as the cups are about emotion, here's what I get out of it. The Knight is striving towards some goal (Possibly whatever that crab is...?) and he's really not going to be stopped; meanwhile the horse is looking back at us. A quick look at one of my books says that the Knight of Cups is someone who wants to express their feelings, or be a help to people, but remains detached. So we've got this Knight going forward, and the horse looking back as if to say, "Slow down, and start communicating with people. Get in touch with others."

... At least, that's what I get out of it :)

I hope to get some astrology books, etc. today.

Ahdayos and have fun :D

Jewel

Okies looks like we are getting started :) ... I liked Tarot Hermit's suggestion of the use of the various books to share our resources. I will try to disect concepts out of the Angeles Arien book and see how we can apply them. I personally find the application concepts to be the way I learn best. I would love it if someone with the Hajo-Banzhaf book could try and do the same as I have heard a lot of good things about that book as well.

As soon as I get chapter one of the Angeles Arien book studied and disected I will post my findings and hopefully some form of exercise for us to apply the concept. I will start a new thread titled - "Thoth-Angeles Arien" so that those interested in the book can participate in the thread.

Tarot Hermit

Jewel said:
Okies looks like we are getting started :) ... I liked Tarot Hermit's suggestion of the use of the various books to share our resources. I will try to disect concepts out of the Angeles Arien book and see how we can apply them. I personally find the application concepts to be the way I learn best. I would love it if someone with the Hajo-Banzhaf book could try and do the same as I have heard a lot of good things about that book as well.

As soon as I get chapter one of the Angeles Arien book studied and disected I will post my findings and hopefully some form of exercise for us to apply the concept. I will start a new thread titled - "Thoth-Angeles Arien" so that those interested in the book can participate in the thread.

First of all I would like to ask everyone to have patience with me, I am fairly new to computers and very new to this website and how to post things. I have the Akron~Hajo Banzhaf book, The Book of Thoth and Mirrors of the Soul by Doug Ziegler and would be happy to share those. I have the other books also, but would rather others use what they feel most comfortable with.

I also have been doing a lot of thought about the Knight of Swords that I wrote about earlier and wondering if there really are words on those propeller like wings on the top of the helmet. If it is the four directions what is that supposed to mean? Has anyone been able to look at that card? I do know that Crowleyand Lady Harris always had a purpose for everything they portayed on the cards, but have not found any explanation for it. Maybe they just are little squiggles after all?

Tarot Hermit

Temperance413

Re:Knight of Swords

Tarot Hermit,
I have the large Thoth cards and have pulled out this card, and to me the "words" on the wings are just curliques of some sort. I'm reading about the Kabbalah, which is what Crowley connected the cards to, along with astrology, and there isn't anything like Hebrew, or planet signs, or anything, but a bunch of golden, gauzy wings. Sorry it wasn't anything more elaboate, but I hope this helps!:) And actually there is some thought behind golden gauzy wings....

Jewel

Re: Re:Knight of Swords

Temperance413 said:
And actually there is some thought behind golden gauzy wings....

What thought was it? ... inquiring minds want to know ;)