LS Bosch Tarot: What is your favorite card and why???

lunakasha

Emily said:

How does the Bosch read? Its a deck that repels me yet fascinates me at the same time. I don't think I would be able to get past the artwork to see what the card is trying to say to me.

Hey Emily!

I see you have had a change of heart with the Bosch....I think you will be surprised at how quickly you become attached to these cards....and the strange little creatures that reside within them!

I think that as far as being able to read well with these cards, it probably depends a lot on your reading style. Meaning that, for me, these cards are very intuitive, and there is a lot of detail to help you in determining what the card means to you. On the other hand, it may get tricky with some of the cards, if you are looking for the artwork to match closely with traditional RWS imagery and/or card meanings. Although these cards are very new to me, I would have to say that I am enjoying them and getting familiar with them very quickly....and I find them challenging but not very difficult to read with, if that makes any sense?!!! :p

Please feel free to come back and post comments whenever you'd like to, Emily...I will be posting attachments of all of the cards that are being discussed, so you don't need to own the Bosch in order to participate. Although I would encourage you and EVERYONE to go out and get your Boschies RIGHT NOW!!! })

Hehehehehehe!!!
:D Luna

lunakasha

Re: Re: Another favorite...3 of Pentacles

Centaur said:
Harry?!!! Hehehe. :)

I have just noticed that the stick he holds in his hand is a little curved at the top... almost like a weapon of sort. This would be in line with the shield he carries on his back. It also suggests that he is an innovative little fellow, using his weapon in order to play his invisible violin. })

VERY interesting, C! I would have never imagined him playing an invisible violin!!!! But now that you mention it....YES--I can definitely see it now! LOL!!!:p I also see him getting ready to do battle, with his weapon raised, the pentacle ready to be thrown...and all the while his feet are perfectly balanced upon the wheels! :D

OK....now Centaur, you HAD to ask about Harry, so here we go....

I sorta nicknamed this little guy "Harry" (and NO, I don't normally go around assigning nicknames to people or critters on my tarot cards, hehehe--NOT that there is anything wrong with it if you do!)....because he reminds me of another strange creature I met a few years ago.

There is an amazing place not far from where I live, an animal rescue/wildlife preserve where you can go to see all kinds of amazing and beautiful animals. They have several big cats (my favorites!) as well as bears, birds, llamas, monkeys, primates etc.
The owners take in abandoned and abused animals that cannot live in the wild and care for them for the rest of their lives. They are not profitting from taking in these animals; they survive on donations from the public just to keep everyone fed and happy....

Anyway....one day I went to visit and the owners said there was someone they wanted me to meet....but warned me not to get too close to his cage. I was wondering what kind of potentially dangerous animal they were about to show me.....and then I saw him. Harry. He was the cutest/strangest looking thing I had ever seen!!! He looked like he weighed maybe 35-40 pounds, and I was not sure if he was actually a monkey or a primate (there is a difference....not sure what it is! :D).

The owners told me that Harry was a Maquaq monkey (or primate) and that he needed to be kept away from other monkeys or he would become very agitated and aggressive. Harry was not crazy about humans either, especially women....but he LOVED Bob, the male owner of the place......

Harry had the same look of strength and determination on his face as this critter on the 3 of Pentacles....hence the nickname!

Oh....and did I mention that Harry also had a wild little mohawk on his head??? :D

:) Luna

Centaur

Emily said:
How does the Bosch read? Its a deck that repels me yet fascinates me at the same time. I don't think I would be able to get past the artwork to see what the card is trying to say to me. I've never seen all of the cards, I usually find myself peering at the images online and thinking 'how can anyone read with it'. But I know that people do love this deck so it must have something lol.

Hi Emily, :)

I am also similar to Luna in that for me, these cards are very intuitive. I love the images, and although at first glance some of the images do not appear to be based on the RW... when you look closer at them, one can begin to draw various similarities and connections. I think that is one of the fun things about the Bosch too... sorting through the images, and making sense out of them. I think that you would really like it! The world of the Bosch Tarot is dark, but in a lovely way, if that makes any sense?! LOL.

Originally posted by lunakasha
The owners told me that Harry was a Maquaq monkey (or primate) and that he needed to be kept away from other monkeys or he would become very agitated and aggressive. Harry was not crazy about humans either, especially women....but he LOVED Bob, the male owner of the place......

Cute! Hahaha. He sounds like quite the Boschian type! :)

Emily

Hi Luna and Centaur,

Yes I could see a little bit, not much thought lol, of Rider Waite in the cards but is it also a Thoth clone. Many of the cups cards, especially the ones balanced on top of each other (i can't remember which ones) made me think of the Thoth. I liked the Empress, she had a quiet dignity, even looking around with the strange landscape, although she did look deep in thought.

I must admit I had alot of fun looking through these cards last night, I think the site is Russian - I am halfway to ordering them, I think I need a fun/weird deck like this to help balance me inbetween the Rider Waite and Thoth - I've tried with other none traditional decks but they don't seem to be filling the gap - maybe the Bosch will. :)

Edited to asK:-

What is it that the Empress is holding? It looks like a globe with wings but I can't make it out on the scan. Also the Hanged Man - there are two figures on that cards making a sacrifice - the man hanging, he could easily slip out of the hoop and the one actually holding the rope the man is hanging from. I love the expression of the one holding the rope, totally bored lol

Macavity

I think mine has to be the High Priestess - I just love her expression! Nothing profound to say, I just think it sums up perfectly how I FEEL sometimes... :D

Macavity

Centaur

Emily said:
Yes I could see a little bit, not much thought lol, of Rider Waite in the cards but is it also a Thoth clone. Many of the cups cards, especially the ones balanced on top of each other (i can't remember which ones) made me think of the Thoth

Oh, I had never seen that before, but now that you mention it... there does appear to be some sort of pattern thing going on with the cups suit. I am also thinking that some of the patterns remind me of the Marseille's Ace of Cups.

Emily said:
What is it that the Empress is holding? It looks like a globe with wings but I can't make it out on the scan.

I think it is a weird sort of featherless bird, stood on top of a metal globe. It is interesting that the Emperor also holds one of these odd creatures. On closer inspections of the wings, they almost like blades.

Emily said:
Also the Hanged Man - there are two figures on that cards making a sacrifice - the man hanging, he could easily slip out of the hoop and the one actually holding the rope the man is hanging from. I love the expression of the one holding the rope, totally bored lol

Hahaha. He looks totally pissed off! Haha. And what is that hideous cat-like creature living inside the tree?!

As an aside, the last time I looked on Amazon, the Bosch was being sold for ten pounds. Very cheap. Slap me if I am being a bad influence on your deck purchasing! Hahaha.

Originally posted by Macavity
I think mine has to be the High Priestess - I just love her expression! Nothing profound to say, I just think it sums up perfectly how I FEEL sometimes...

She looks kinda peeved off too. I guess I would also feel that way if I had a book resting on my head. Hahaha. I love the table that she is resting on. It looks almost as though it is made out of some sort of living material.

lunakasha

Emily said:
Edited to asK:-

What is it that the Empress is holding? It looks like a globe with wings but I can't make it out on the scan. Also the Hanged Man - there are two figures on that cards making a sacrifice - the man hanging, he could easily slip out of the hoop and the one actually holding the rope the man is hanging from. I love the expression of the one holding the rope, totally bored lol

Hi Emily!

Glad you are enjoying the Bosch cards....I think you would find them an asset to your collection, if what you are looking for is something a little dark and unusual....

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the Mona Lisa when they look at the Empress??? Maybe I am simply stating the obvious...my apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere! :D The object in her hands does look like a winged ball of some kind...personally it reminds me of something I saw in the movie Phantasm....and I agree with Centaur that the wings do look like blades. This looks to me like some kind of metallic object, rather than a living thing....

As far as the Hanged Man.....this card cracks me up....it looks like he is waiting for a *spanking*!!! }):eek: YES, I LOVE the look of boredom on the executioner's face...."are we finished yet?" LOL

Not sure what the little tree-beastie is up to....I keep thinking that he is manipulating the rope somehow...that he is REALLY in control of the situation, rather than the bored guy....

Interesting discussion!!!

I will be posting these cards very soon, along with the 3 of Pentacles...any other cards to discuss??? Anyone???

:) Luna

lunakasha

Re: Another favorite...3 of Pentacles

lunakasha said:
The 3 of Pentacles

He represents focused determination, inner strength and self-control. Mind over matter. He is very much aware of his body position, his physical abilities, and he knows how to achieve his goal: to balance on those wheels, for as long as he needs to....

From the LWB: "Ability. It is not easy to rest on one's laurels if they are undeserved."

Here it is:

Attachments

• 3 of pentacles.jpg
    3 of pentacles.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 94

lunakasha

Here is the Empress:

Attachments

• empress.jpg
    empress.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 97

lunakasha