Numerology for the pips

Melanchollic

Well, I've read Unger's little book, and I've read Jodo's book, and there's certainly a similar paradigm, though Jodo takes that general approach much further, and is much more practical, and useful to the average newbie. Unger wasn't particularly original either, other than applying "the model" specifically to tarot.

Funny you should should mention Plotinus. I've been giving the Enneads a go in a Japanese version.

:CL Cheers,

M

Bernice

>>>I've been giving the Enneads a go in a Japanese version.<<<
Is there no end to your talents? :)

stella01904

Melanchollic said:
Here's Paul Marteau's Number meanings (from pages 103-104) for the curious.

I cribbed it from Jodo, but Jodo cribbed from Marteau. :laugh:

stella01904

Melanchollic said:
Hi stella01904,

Jodo's correlations of the court cards to the pips reminded me of this model, which is one of the more interesting ones I've bumped into over the years. Very orthodox to Platonic and Pythagorean tradition, and very tidy. (Keep in mind, the numbers can either ascend, as shown, or descend, ace on top, on the triangle. Both arrangements have their relative strengths and weaknesses.)

Oh, my, where did you get this?
Nice!

Melanchollic

Here is a model that has been extremely clarifying on the nature of number, and continues to reveal new insights. Enjoy. :)

M

numbermodel02.jpg

Kircher Tree

In Inceptum Finis Est

Melanchollic:

This is superb! It puts the Salt in the middle of the sequence, exactly as had been previously discussed. If it is not rude to ask... Where did this come from?

Thanks!

Melanchollic

Thanks K.T.,

This is right out of the kitchen of Melanchollic. ;)

:CL M

frelkins

Melanchollic said:
This is right out of the kitchen of Melanchollic. ;)

great Mel, so when we come over to your house to make dinner, we'll know where to find all the herbs & spices now I guess.

Otherwise I have zero idea what that diagram represents. Please explain for us lower minds, who read Plotinus translated into English.

Jeesh. If this is what's up your sleeve & in your cupboards, what in heaven's name do you keep under your pillow?

:heart:

Melanchollic

An Explanation of the Above Diagram

Sorry Ms. F. I guess it is a tad cyptic.

I'll leave out "the whys" and stick to 'the whats'.

The elemental symbols (the little triangles) represent the numbers themselves starting with 1 at the top, 4 at the lower left, 7 at the lower right, and back up to 10 at the top again. Numbers, like everything else in creation, may be seen as having the characteristics of the four basic ways energy can manifest. These four behaviors are known by the code words FIRE, AIR, WATER, EARTH. These of course are not actual fire, air, water, or earth, but descriptive allegories for types of behaviors (expanding, contracting, rising, falling, short, long, fast, slow, separating, binding). If you take them too literally, you'll miss the point.

• 1 is Fire
  • 2 is Water
  • 3 is Air
  • 4 is Earth
  • 5 is Air
  • 6 is Water
  • 7 is Fire
  • 8 is Water
  • 9 is Air
  • 10 is Earth

We start at the unity of the 1, which is like the divine source. 1 through 4 show how the divine descends into matter - impulse, separation, completion, consolidation. Here the energies are expansive, and practically we can draw useful parallels to evolution, and to the transpersonal.

7 through 10 show us how matter ascends into the divine, from a higher impulse (7) to a higher consolidation (10). Here the energies are contractive, and can represent involution, and the personal.

4 through 7 shows us the harmony and balancing of the two, containing the 'marriage numbers' 5 and 6. We can say it represents aspects that mix the transpersonal and the personal natures, and balance expansion and contraction.

I chose the triangle shape to emphasis these three separate aspects of the decad, and the importance and interrelation of the 1, 4, 7, and 10 within the decad.

The symbol at the top is SULPHUR, which is the Soul. The symbol on the lower left is SALT, which is the Body, and the symbol on the lower right is MERCURY, which is the Spirit.

The left maintains the general symbolism of the lunar/feminine, and the right maintains the symbolism of solar/masculine.

Whether or not one wishes to apply this model to the use and understanding of tarot is of course another matter, though I believe it is revealing of the properties of the first ten numbers, which are themselves revealing of the nature of all numbers, which are indeed revealing of the very pattern of the whole universe as it exists in the divine mind, and other such mumbo-jumbo. ;)

:heart: M

frelkins

This probably explains how I found myself teleported into the Theosophical bookshop in NYC this afternoon. . .ok interesting, but as Satori sez, "how do i read tarot with it, again?"

mumbo-jumbo gumbo can be sexy in the French Quarter. :)