II La Papesse

MikeTheAltarboy

I tend to see the papesse as the church. It does have Annunciation characteristics (perhaps the book she's reading is a Book of Hours of the Blessed Virgin!) But Mary is often a type of Mother Church, who might be portrayed older than the young Mary. I feel like I've seen an image in a book of hours that either had the Virgin Mary or the Patroness of the book ( I can't remember) in the foreground, and behind her a window looking into a church building with the Blessed Virgin (Or the Church?) looking very Popessy with the baby Jesus on her lap.
One thing I'd be curious to investigate more is that she wears a crossed stole. That's proper to a Priest specifically: a bishop (including the pope), or a deacon would wear their stoles otherwise. Some consecrated virgins were given stoles at their solemn professions at the time, but worn deacon-wise. Placed thus on a woman, it would almost have be a clear indicator of an allegorical presentation, I would think.

kwaw

Our Lady's Juggler

Our player of hocus pocus lays down
his wand, takes up
a ball and cup,
prays "come closeup"
and moves them round and round.

Our Lord's lady in her bridal habit
just loves to look
upon the crook;
her open book
mere pretense for the abbot.

kwaw

II: La Papesse

A little bit of Turkish: Cami (Mosque) Imam (Islamic spiritual and temporal leader; Islamic scholar; one who leads prayers at Islamic gatherings) Bilmek (to know) Okur (Reader)

Cami ne kadar büyük olsa imam bildiğini okur.

However big the congregation, the reader tells the same story.*

Turkish Proverb

*lit. '... mosque, the imam reads what he knows.'

kwaw

kwaw said:
II: La Papesse

A little bit of Turkish: Cami (Mosque) Imam (Islamic spiritual and temporal leader; Islamic scholar; one who leads prayers at Islamic gatherings) Bilmek (to know) Okur (Reader)

Cami ne kadar büyük olsa imam bildiğini okur.

However big the congregation, the reader tells the same story.*

Turkish Proverb

*lit. '... mosque, the imam reads what he knows.'

One could read that in a positive or negative sense - 9 times out of ten, if a turkish proverb makes mention of an imam - a negative sense is intended... or at the least, some satirical comment may be read as implicit. In a similar fashion, medieval, renaissance and post reformation western culture had a far more irreverent attitude towards the church and clerics than many modern day readers give them credit for...

kwaw

The cleric cries:
She is all that faith denies!
Curse her, and her kind.

kwaw

la papesse Jeanne

Laduersaire par truffe parle de calfurnie et de dame iehanne la papesse...

The adversary talks through his nose (?) about Calpurnia* and Lady Jean the Popesse ...

Title : [Illustrations de La Champion des dames] / [Non identifié] ; Martin France, aut. du texte
Author : France,, Martin. Auteur du texte
Publisher : Jean du Pré (Lyon)
Date of publication : 1488
Type : image fixe
Language : Middle French
Format : 61 est. : gravures sur bois : Noir et blanc
Format : image/jpeg
Copyright : domaine public
Identifier : ark:/12148/btv1b2200014c
Source : Bibliothèque nationale de France
Relation : http://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb38498246t
Provenance : bnf.fr

re: Calpurnia - the litigatious wife of Roman Senator Buccio, who in one of her many malicious suits (which she liked to conduct herself rather than use an advocate) is said to have moonied the judges.

Attachments

• PopesseJoan.jpg
    PopesseJoan.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 221

kwaw

la papesse Jeanne

Laduersaire par truffe parle de calfurnie et de dame iehanne la papesse...

The adversary talks through his nose (?) about Calpurnia and Lady Jean the Popesse

Verse 490 - 502
trans. Steven Millen Taylor

"Of Calpurnia will you speak
Who to the judge her arse exposed,"
Said the other, full of cheek,
"And why no woman has since proposed
A pro, or a contra in court deposed?
If she'd speech pleasant, I don't know.
But so badly her robe she closed
That her de profundis she did show.

"Now, if Christ Jesus be the giver
Of joy to ou," the Foe said to twit,