the What Was the Point? spread

Metafizzypop

Have you ever been in a relationship that made you feel you had wasted your time? A relationship that took an emotional investment from you yet which gave you nothing back in return? Maybe things started out well and then later just went down the toilet. Or maybe the relationship didn't happen at all, but certain factors made you think it would. So you got your hopes up for what would turn out to be a big let-down.

In short, have you ever had a romantic relationship or experience that just plain baffled you? A relationship that seemed completely pointless?

This spread is for those who would like to find meaning in what may appear to be a meaningless experience. It's for those who want to know if there was a purpose to it all, who want to know, What was the Point???

The shape is supposed to resemble a glass of champagne. You may have to tweak the questions a bit to fit your specific circumstances, sexual preference, etc.

-----1--2--3--4---
-----5--6--7--8---
--------9-10------
-------11-12------
-------13-14------
--15-16-17-18-19-

1 - What did I learn from my experience with this person?
2 - What did I gain from my experience with this person?
3 - What did I lose because of my experience with this person?
4 - My subconscious feelings about losing the person.
5 - What did he learn from his experience with me?
6 - What did he gain from his experience with me?
7 - What did he lose because of his experience with me?
8 - His subconscious feelings about losing me.
9 - What karmic factors brought him into my life?
10 - What karmic factors brought me into his life?
11 - What did he gain by ending the relationship with me?
12 - What did he lose by ending the relationship?
13 - What did I gain by his ending the relationship with me?
14 - What did I lose by his ending the relationship?
15 - What was the point of this relationship?
16 - What was the meaning of it?
17 - What was the essence of it?
18 - What was the foundation of it?
19 - What is the future of it?

gingerkid

:eek: Creepy! Ha ha talk about synchronicity...I was just trying to make a spread like this, today, but I couldn't quite get it how I wanted! I have this exact issue right now.

I'm going to try this tonight before bed (perhaps a shortened version) and post the results and/or let you know how it went...thanks, Metafizzypop! (Love the name, btw :) )

Metafizzypop

gingerkid said:

I hope you mean the coincidence and not the spread, lol.

Well, I'm glad I could help out, and I really would like to find out how the spread works for your situation.

I hope things turn out OK for you.

gingerkid

Thumbs up!

Metafizzypop said:
I hope you mean the coincidence and not the spread, lol.

Ha, I meant the coincidence... :)

Oh my goodness, Metafizzypop, my Robin Wood gave me a run for my money on this one- I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard while doing a spread (my deck can really have a sense of humor sometimes...). Laugh.

I did use the whole spread; although big, I did like all of the positions and I couldn't decide what to omit!

Endorsement ahead :D: I have to say, though, it was spot-on; basically the conclusion of the spread is that this "um friendship" really did have no meaning (ha) other than to be over as quickly as possible in order to be onto the next adventure (though the future of it was the 2 of Cups, which I couldn't decide whether to interpret it as the next "relationship" in my life or that he and I would actually reconnect; that threw me for a loop there).

I'm considering posting it in the "Your Readings" section so you can see what I mean about how accurate it is...I'll post the link back here then.

Thanks for making my night with your unexpectedly-humorous spread!

edited to add: Here's the spread link with my results for all who want to give this one a try!

Lucifers Mum

Can I suggest something?

If the spread were rows from top i'd suggest an extra card in the drink bit so youd have 5 5 2 2 4 which would still look like a wineglass but have 20 cards. I believe this hs better numerology for relationships. 2x10 two people: success: 4 x5 is the persistence of evil, which I grant you is less cheerful.
I think the idea of spreads for various classes of questions is an interesting one.

Metafizzypop

Hi, Lucifers Mum. I always like to hear suggestions from others. But, for this spread, changing the arrangement of it to suit 20 cards also means changing a lot of questions around. It means a major re-do.

Also, I like the fact that this spread has 19 cards, rather than 20, because 19 is a prime number. Using this number was deliberate on my part. I like numbers that can't be tampered with and resist being broken down (as in numbers that are divisible by 5 or 4 or 2 etc.). It makes the number seem more indestructibly spiritual. In fact, one of the things that I like about the "unlucky" number 13, and which I think helps give it its special meaning and powers, is that it also is a prime number, and so can't be "reduced." In this case, 19 has the same solidity. It can't be divided by any other number, which means it hangs together as a single solid unit -- as I hope the spread does, also.