Death indicators...

Indigo Rose

Does anyone know if there are certain aspects that indicate death?

Astraea

Hi, Indigo Rose. There are some schools of astrology which claim that death can be seen in a chart (most notably the Vedic tradition), but my own view is that one cannot reliably predict this event. Just as the Death card in tarot seldom refers to physical demise, so the aspects related to death in astrological charts point toward deep, life-changing experiences which do not typically end in death (although the potential for that might be present). Death as the culmination of a process can be seen in hindsight, but in my view that is only because many, many influences -- not all of them obviously significant -- converged to tip the scales in that direction.

dadsnook2000

Multi-Symbolism

Astraea has said it well --yet, there are some surprising indicators that can be found. Natal VENUS in a lunar return chart has shown up in many charts that I have done where a death is involved. Venus, of course, balances things and for many people it may be appropriate that they sort of clean up things before passing over.

As for other indicators, I have seen many after the fact but none seem to be "concrete" or even highly "possible" before the fact. I think we are all a little too complex in our make up and in the manner we choose to use these symbols to represent the actions and timing of life's milestones.

I've done "reverse Solar Return charts" from the time/date of death for several criminals that have been executed. These charts show how the potential of the birth chart was actualized, as well as showed the crime that led to their ordered demise. But, again, no definitive one planet or combination of factors that says "death." Dave.

Minderwiz

A number of classical Astrologers claimed that they could read the time of death from a chart but all the examples I've looked at are far from clear and I would endorse the comments of Astraea and dadsnook2000.

Retrospectively it might be 'easy' to spot some aspect or transit that could be said to be a portent of death but the big problem is how often such 'portents' arise and nothing happens!

Minderwiz

Just an afterthought.

Modern medicine probably makes a considerable difference to such readings. For the fifteenth century Astrolgoer certain signs may have indicated susceptibilty to certain diseases or conditions. If those conditions arose then death would very likely follow.

In the twentieth century many such diseases or conditions can be treated and the person makes a full recovery. Thus life threatening events may still be as common as in the past but the chances of overcoming them are now far higher and thus death is far less certain.

Indigo Rose

Thank you all for your input. I tend to agree with what has been shared here about the difficulties in finding true "death" indicators. I was just curious because I have been studying and reading conflicting view points.
Blessings.
Indigo Rose