What is a Tarot "Grandmaster"?

buddhagoddess

I just got the Tarot Reader 2007 by Llewelyn and I was reading the author bios. A couple of them listed themselves as certified Tarot Grandmasters. What does this mean exactly? Not being critical, just insanely curious.

jmd

It means nothing, really!

Alta

Agree with jmd that it 'means' nothing, but they did follow some sort of certification path (whatever its value) from one of the several tarot organizations and got awarded this title. It is only meaningful in context, i.e. the "Upper Slobovian Tarot Assosication says I am a Grandmaster under their standards."

jmd

It is more likely that 'they' (whoever they are) did NOT follow a 'certification path', but were awarded the same to lend false credibility to the titles and their proposed certification path.

Zephyros

I agree. I find it strange at times that while Tarot is a free enterprise and many people go into it because of the absence of rules, doctrines, or structure like other "religions" do, perhaps it a show of human behavior that we do strive to find that structure and cannot accept something as free as tarot.

Sophie

When I see the word "Grandmaster", it conjures up an image of a man in a crimson satin riding coat and shiny top hat, standing on a small podium under a circus tent, whip in hand, calling out: "and now, ladies and gentlemen, I, the Great Gobbini, Grandmaster of this Circus, present to you for the first time ever in this country, the death-defying Luisa in her tiger-hugging act!"

Add some tarot cards, and you get: "I, the Great Gobbini, Tarot Grandmaster, present to you for the first time ever in this country, the fate-defying Luisa and her Tarot reading for tigers act!"

And why not? ;)

HearthCricket

While looking at the qualifications for each level, I was surprised that so much lay heavily on writing reviews or teaching tarot to others. I would not consider that being a Grandmaster of Tarot, or at least it does not qualify being an excellent reader. Experience in the field, knowing tarot history, knowing the meanings, both right and reversed, and being able to read either for yourself or for others (or both) in a professional manner is what makes a good reader, so slapping on a title just doesn't do it for me. This seems to be more about clout and flattery in the field of writing or teaching tarot, rather than necessarily doing readings and being pretty darn good at it. I wonder how well a so called Grandmaster would be at a reading if one handed him a deck he/she never used, with no book or LWB and a brand new spread. Could they interpret the cards using both traditional symoblism and intuition and do an accurate reading?

Gayla

For some people a 'title' is very important.

There are a few certification and degree programs out there..but none of them are recognized, accredited education institutions.

For example,

http://www.ata-tarot.com/courses.htm

http://www.tarotschool.com/Degree.html

People who read tarot for a living need some type of credential to help them stand out in the market...something that give the appearance they are highly qualified to 'practice' tarot.

I think if you are doing tarot for a living..reading, writing books, publishing decks, etc...it's worth the investment, not for the title...just for the organized, structured study.

I am actually going through a mentor course right now with ATA so I can get on their free reading network as a reader. The concept is that all the reader on the network, who in essance are representing the ATA, all have similar training.

Grizabella

It's the Emperor sporting his new clothes. :)