four of pentacles

Glass Owl

Baroli said:
Interesting. Depending on where the 4 of pents shows up in a spread or reading, I view it differently. Yes, he's miser dude unwilling to give up what he has or unwilling to share. But what if we looked at pentacles as earth and well being. Perhaps this guy is not ready to reveal what he truly wants and hides behind that big shield of money? His true self is being shielded. Or maybe he's not ready to share all that he has within himself.
Maybe surrounding himself with things (or maybe even treating people as objects) allows the 4 of Pents person to create a wall or buffer around himself so no one can get through, thereby avoiding true intimacy.

Makes me think of those shows on tv about horders.

hopena

He had some really good qualities, but he did tell me once, that his jealousy was responsible for the break-up of his last relationship. I wondered if that was a part of his hot and cold behaviour (skittishness over that and/or getting close to someone again, only to possibly lose them - I could understand that). He also doesn't open up easily (most of the time) as Baroli indicated.

(I might edit this bit out later ~ I feel a bit guilty talking about this, even though I haven't mentioned his name, age, location, etc.) When it came to material items, he actually got rid of most of his things, wanting to be as free of things like that as possible.

My grandmother was a hoarder... it drove my mother nuts. I have a little bit of that in me, but I'll eventually go through my things and get rid of things that I don't need or use anymore (including some nice clothes I'd never worn).

hopena

celticnoodle said:
I also had a sister who did the same thing with her toys. I remember her beloved china tea set that she never even took out of the box to play with--but instead kept it up high on the shelf of our closet.

one day, when she finally started school and was gone, I climbed up on a chair and some books stacked on the chair--and could juuuusssst about reeaaachhh it!

but, then a tower card moment happened. :eek:
I slipped, and fell and so did the box of the china tea set, breaking most of the items so carefully packed inside. :(

no wonder she always hid her toys and we only played with mine. :p

:laugh: That would be me, too. ;)

Caedryn

I think the 4p can also mean being frugal with ones material possessions, saving for a rainy day etc. or taking care of ones health, or making sure you and your possessions are secure.

I think the interpretation would depend on the surrounding cards and the question asked.

~ C

Water Lady

I read it recently for someone that showed her to be careful with money. bad economy and all...so frugal also. spend wisely.

Rose0402

Hi.....in my opinion if the card is not talking about money or other kind of possessions it could mean that the person is keeping himself/herself for himself/herself. The person is not maybe the most open person to others. Maybe even secretive person. :)

AzulParadiso

Hi.....in my opinion if the card is not talking about money or other kind of possessions it could mean that the person is keeping himself/herself for himself/herself. The person is not maybe the most open person to others. Maybe even secretive person. :)

This is very true.

Intotouch

I agree with Nisaba and the last two comments. I haven't seen the extreme manifestation before of the four of pentacles where someone is greedy and gloating. I have seen it often with a person who feels frightened and insecure, often hiding this fact from others.

Fours are about stability and pentacles refer primarily to the material world. As nothing in the material world is permanent, hence the insecurity. It shows attachment, also the stress, the futility of trying to keep things stable and the deep effort to keep things. It's something that I think everyone feels at time. A deep attachment to things or to situations or others is something that most people feel experience, along with the stress this causes.

At its best the four can describe someone who is good at maintaining the material status quo for the benefit of all. Someone who always manages to put food on the table, get to work on time, pay bills, keep comfortable. But who has a real need to do this.

This fear is kept secret in the four of pentacles though. The person in the motherpeace deck is closing the door on the world to be alone. In the four the person may not even be clearly aware of this motivation. Nesting, being concerned about maintaining a lifestyle may be something that they're proud of without ever investigating the need that prompts this.

lilac04

I would agree with Intotouch about the interp for 4 of P. The only thing I would add is that I have gotten this card to show deeply repressed issues in the client. Sometimes it can show a deep inability to express oneself - i guess that's where the miser comes in? And really an inability to let go of old habits, ways of thinking or ways of seeing the world. Sometimes the things we cling to seem comfortable when actually, they just end up making us heavier.

Tarheelpixie

4 of Pents

I recently had this come up as a complimentary "how they see you" card. The potential MIL saw her son's girlfriend as someone who would manage the resources in the marriage and keep an eye on finances. Her son has not mastered those skills yet, so she was pleased that her future DIL is practical and guards the checkbook, uses coupons, etc.