TAROT de PARIS study group

SongDeva

Well, when you get a moment, play around with it here if you like. Or we could post what we do Saturday here.

This reminds me, I wanted to play around with doing readings like this in the group. I did one for myself that was REALLY accurate by picking out cards that stuck out for me.

contrascarpe

Hey, since JPT designed this beautiful deck, maybe we can get our group to go to Hawaii where he lives and get his insights in person, hehe.

I got this deck for Ron for his last birthday so I will make sure he brings it with him - we can have our own little study group on the deck on Saturday and then post some of our comments here.

Question - did you get the deck with the heartier card stock? I believe it is now out.

To others who have posted here, what do you think of the idea of posting a card every few days and getting everyone's comments, a la the Prague study we have going in the other threads? I have only read a little of JPT's book (mostly the comments on Paris itself) so it would probably be a good time to remark on the cards now before I get too familiar with them.

Dan

Cerulean

Ohh, cool! I'm in...

and yes, the slash and burn from Medieval to Modern would be rather nice.

The old sculpture in the Tarot de Paris is rather wonderful, but I've noticed that I became wedded to my associative meaning for the 'Devil" card, since I've seen both the Dante sculpture and the Gates of Hell at my favorite university museum, Stanford right after a Dante seminar. That place became a walking tour of tarot deck, except it lacks pyramids (has a mummy and Bonafacio Bembo alterpiece, though).

Mari H.

contrascarpe

Re: Ohh, cool! I'm in...

Mari_Hoshizaki said:
The old sculpture in the Tarot de Paris is rather wonderful, but I've noticed that I became wedded to my associative meaning for the 'Devil" card, since I've seen both the Dante sculpture and the Gates of Hell at my favorite university museum, Stanford right after a Dante seminar.
Mari H.

The Gates of Hell is probably my favorite Rodin - or at least in the top three..... or five, lol. Not sure how many are out there but there is one at the Musee D'Orsay and one at the Rodin as well. I never found the one at the D'Orsay (too busy bonding with the Impressionists) but the one at the Rodin was fascinating to me - if only because it was in the front yard. Always wondered where those doors would take me - will probably find out someday.

I spent alot more time with the deck this evening. It is beautiful in a very subtle way. JPT really found some sculpture which I am ashamed that I did not catch on my numerous trips to Paris. When I get back there I am going to have to go on a scavenger hunt.

Cerulean

A small note...I think some of the sculpture moved...

In a talk given in 2002--JPT was on his way to a New York publisher I think--he was at the Bay Area Tarot Symposium and in his talk, I remember he said that for many different reasons in different times, the statues do not stay in the same place: they can be moved and he had to spend some time finding there current locations...

Generally, that reminded me of the Horses of San Marco from a National Geographic article:

http://members.aol.com/eokamoto31/sanmarco.htm

Probably off topic, but fascinating to me. Statues moving over the years...

Mari H.

horoskope88

I am absolutely in love with the Two of Water.

When I look at it, I can just here to sounds of the gushing fountain.

Now if I can only have what the couple in the statue have. :(

SongDeva

A card at a time is a great idea Contrascarpe.
Welcome Mari, Horoskope!

FaerieStorm

Pages as SPIRITS

I have wondered why J. Philip Thomas chose the term "Spirit" for the pages. It totally works for me, I just find it curious that he would choose such an ethereal term when the Pages are generally associated with the element of Earth.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

augursWell

Re: Pages as SPIRITS

FaerieStorm said:
I have wondered why J. Philip Thomas chose the term "Spirit" for the pages.
For me the link was this, most decks have Pages as young messengers and such and the spirit of something is mostly like a free spirit or young and childish. The essence of something is spirit and a child is very free and close to their own spirit. And the Spirit of a suit is like the embodiment of that suit, fire, water, etc. Whereas the Aces are pure spirit in a sort of objective way, the spirits are subjective embodiment.

Tarot de Paris is one of my favorite decks, I never even noticed the "card stock problem" that some have mentioned.

The Rose Spread from the book made sense to me right away(I see Water as East and Air as West, many books and decks reverse those) and I've never forgotten it, use it whenever it's appropriate.

I would be interested in the study group. :)

P.S. Hello JPT! thanks for the Deck. :)

Le_Corsair

Happy Birthday JPT!

Since J. Philip Thomas does not appear to be a subscriber and able to see threads in the Chat forum, I thought I'd take this opportunity to wish him a happy birthday in the study group dedicated to his tarot deck, the Tarot of Paris.

My very best wishes and kind regards to you on your birthday, sir.

Bob :THERM