The Victorian Romantic Visual Journaling Study Group - discussion thread

Little Baron

What about if we all have our own thread that we update whenever?

Darwinia's Victorian Romantic Journal

LB's Victorian Romantic Journal

etc

Then we can work as quickly or slowly as possible, and people, if they want, can sit and read their way through it as it progresses? Each one individual, rather than chopping and changing from thread to thread. I like this idea better. In terms of organisation, all 'journal/threads' can be housed under the same index. Almost like a library.

LB

bleuivy

That's an excellent idea, LB. We each have our own thread and we can update whenever.

Sulis, does that sound agreeable?

darwinia

Hey, if we do that I'll never get any hits. Nobody reads my stuff!

I was also thinking that a separate thread strictly for technical questions and links to sources for journalling, collage and how-to pages would be good.

I see questions pop up now and then in the Tarot Cards or Talking Tarot forums about how to do it and where to find nice journals etc., so maybe a forum devoted to journalling *would* be kind of helpful for people.

I can see where Sulis is coming from with regard to searching and organization, but it would be contained in a topic-specific forum, yet broken down into useful threads that are readily searchable.

This way, there is a Journal forum set up (since we are setting a precedent) for studying other decks or spreads in a visual journalling format or just to ask for guidance in doing it etc.

Yeah, would that work for you Sulis?

Moonbow

Sulis and I are watching this thread to see how it pans out and don't wish to interfere with the creativity or the ideas that are in discussion, as you said this is new to the Study Group forum.

When you have decided on how this is to be done we will then think about how it affects the search feature for future viewers and whether the thread is in the best place. We have to consider Solandia's guidelines for where she wants to have things posted, but new ideas are great so lets just go with it for now.

I think what we would like you to consider is some kind of structure that we would be able to 'file' on the forum so that when a member in the future is interested in this deck (and journalling), they will be able to find this thread.

Any ideas regarding re-organisation of the forum will of course need to be directed to Solandia.

Moonbow*

darwinia

More art material stuff

I have uncovered a 30 x 40 inch piece of Peterboro Hi-Art PK 5 Illustration Board. It is 100% rag content on a toothy, cold press surface which is mounted on double thick board to avoid warping.

Sounds like just the board for book covers and gluing paper to the board. I understand you can also use mat board for covers, but I've had this around for two years waiting for a project that I never started for the DIC Luman Deck, so I'm sure it wouldn't mind being appropriated for a good cause.

Also, by splitting up the book into smaller books, I can now get 3 x 6 inch pages for the journal. When you do accordion books you need to have a number that's divisible into your paper size. This leaves me a smidge for cutting a 1/4" overhang to glue two accordion strips together (3 strips for the Majors book.)

I don't want bigger pages because I'll never finish the project with too much surface area of paper to illustrate and collage. I've had experience with this before in journals <g> Another good reason to use borders on larger journal pages.

Sorry for my vociferousness in this thread, I am tending toward maniacal enthusiasm because it's an art project. I will be cutting and folding paper for days and gluing, so should manage to restrain myself for a bit.

Now, where's my bone folder. . . .

devilled egg

visual journal

Hello,
I am new to the list, but have been floating around the ethers of the Tarot community for some time now and this project really appeals to me. I got to see this Tarot being created from its infancy-hundreds of books strewn across the floor of a Prague flat-and now the journal is lovely too. I do collage a good bit and and have kept a journal, mostly daily for nearly 30 years.( I do seem to periodically toss most of them out, only to start again) I have just returned from a book making class with Paulus Berensohn (known best for his always -in print "Finding One Way with Clay")-he should be declared a National Treasure, unfortunately the US isn't that enlightened.
I would like to recommend-for sheer visual richness and density- any of Lynne Perrella's books, I believe there are 3 now. All are still in print and available at Amazon. (and if anyone wants a box of well loved rubber stamps and they will arrived immediately on your doorstep; I am trying to dematerialize)
Greetings and hello to all
Elizabeth Owen,

darwinia

devilled egg said:
I would like to recommend-for sheer visual richness and density- any of Lynne Perrella's books, I believe there are 3 now.

Hello back Elizabeth! I bought one of Lynne's book for the library I used to work in, and I agree that her work is a visual treat. The one I saw was "Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages."

I have moved my Victorian Romantic Journal pictures to one page--makes it easier to post a link. I have a picture up of my work on the first book. Seems to be working out nicely, and I'll be cutting book covers for all five books tomorrow.

The book I am using has a really practical method for folding accordion books, rather than measuring and folding each page--works very well and gives a neat finish.
http://www.jjcolourart.com/pb/wp_14adce0d/wp_14adce0d.html?0.08291455208668835

I am encouraged by this small success--there is nothing worse than planning something in your mind and having the technique not work out. As you can see in the picture, the pages are small but not impossibly small. Just right Goldilocks.

Little Baron

Looks great Darwinia.

And also, while there, I looked at your gallery.

Absolutely awesome!!!! Your work is refined and stunning.

LB

Jewel-ry

A very big welcome Elizabeth!

Will you join us in this little enterprise too? With thirty years of journalling and collaging experience behind you, it seems like you will have plenty to add to the experience (and if you feel like 'dematerialising' to the UK I would love to take you up on your offer).

Darwinia,

Just love your accordion book...so interesting. You must have the patience of a saint! But well done, it looks terrific! I am learning so much from this thread already!

The revision has gone just a little on the backburner, I went out to the local handy craft store yesterday and invested in another journal, a smaller one with white pages...so I now have two to choose from. I also bought PAINTS!! Only watercolours but I thought 'in for a penny, in for a pound' so I may even be persuaded to see what a paintbrush feels like in my hand. This little project has grabbed my attention so much...I just can't wait to start. I am allowing my brain a little time each day to daydream and plan and read this thread. In the meantime I love dropping in here to see how everyone else is doing.

I so want my exam GONE!!

darwinia

LittleBuddha said:
Your work is refined and stunning.

Thank you very much, I have more work and graphics but that is a temporary web site until I finish wrestling with Adobe GoLive. My hosting place has dandy tools for basic web site creation, but I need to use my own graphics and have more detail. I'm a nut for detail.

Jewel-ry said:
You must have the patience of a saint!

I do with art and computers. I have about 14 bookcases filled with non-fiction and I can patiently teach myself almost anything. My fault is I that I don't have much patience with people. I do try, but I'm certainly not evolved in that respect.

Always living up in the clouds, earthly matters like communication tend to deeply frustrate me!