Animal/Nature Tarot

hereeternally

Thank you guys so much! Sometimes I go through dry spells and stop working on this series just because it's so involving, but now I'm back into it again. Here's a sketch of the next card, The Hermit: http://sobeyondthis.deviantart.com/art/The-Hermit-Tarot-WIP-Sketch-294278304

I want to organize ideas more so I don't get discouraged when I hit that creative wall.. so I started to compile a list of animals and words/meanings/symbolisms that come to mind for future cards. If anyone has any ideas for animals that they'd like to see in these cards, I'd appreciate any ideas so much! I have over 60 cards left that still need to be planned (eeek!)

Padma

those are lovely paintings, hereeternally :)

I have a link to an animal page I frequently go to for information...here is the link:
http://www.animalspirits.com/

Just thought it might help you choose animals for your cards, because it gives their guide meanings as well :) I think you should do a giraffe :) would make an awesome High Priestess! ;)

rota

"...want to organize ideas more so I don't get discouraged when I hit that creative wall..."

+++++

Yep, that's going to happen. It's good to have a strategy in place for the times when you just can't see a way ahead.

Brute-forcing your way ahead can sometimes work: just continuing to make images in the same vein, hoping that some of them might prove useful. But that method can be so dry. Mostly it just results in new versions of old material.

Sometimes asking other people for input or advice can work. It can provide possibilities that weren't considered before. But, the downside is that it can result in a diffusion of the original intent: other peoples' ideas can often change or 'contaminate' the first concept.

Meditation is a good method. Keeping the idea of a card in mind as clearly as possible, but without any visuals, will usually have the result of a picture eventually popping into your head.

Also, 'sleeping on it': keeping the concept of a card in mind when going to sleep can provide a visual idea on waking up.

hereeternally

Lotus Padma - thank you so much for that link! It's *incredibly* helpful. I've spent a lot of time over the past little while collecting as much info as I can on animal symbolism, trying to better prepare for future cards, and that link is perfect!

rota - thank you so much for your advice. I've definitely been trying different methods to make the process a bit easier on me. I've taken many breaks away from creating the cards, just to unwind and to help clear my head. Now I think the most helpful method I've found so far is to simply force myself through them, trying to plow through ideas than to try to avoid working on it. I've now been trying to work on the cards in batches. Before I would put all of my focus on one card, working on it from start to finish, and it was a really tough way to go through each card that way. Now I started to sketch several all at once. (I also tend to have that short attention span and tend to try to multi-task, so going back and forth between ideas and cards definitely helps.) So I spend time on planning several cards, then sketching them all at once, then painting each of them. This way I always have something to work on, and don't get stuck when I've hit a wall on just one card. I have HUGE respect for everyone that makes their own cards! Goodness.

I've finished two more cards since: the Death card and the Six of Cups: http://sobeyondthis.deviantart.com/gallery/32847081

I'm almost done the next one, which will be the Three of Wands :)

Bhavana

your Moon is up there with my favorite versions of the Moon card. And I love that it is a tribute to your lovable little "Fuzzy Butt".
I cannot wait for this deck to be done....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what is the hermit? is it a lemur of some type? I was thinking of shy, retiring types of animals, and was gonna suggest a koala..

hereeternally

Bhavana - wow thank you so much! The Moon card is definitely one of my favourites.. but then I might be a bit biased because I love rabbits, lol. The Hermit is a red panda. I was leaning towards solitary animals and hoped that would work with the Hermit.

Here's the latest one, the Three of Wands: http://sobeyondthis.deviantart.com/art/Three-of-Wands-Tarot-Card-300275981

The High Priestess is coming up on my list.. I'm debating on several animals for that one (including the giraffe!)

Padma

oooo...I am SO in love with these cards! They are gorgeous! I collect rabbit stuff like statues and bags and things... (though I think they are reproducing, lol!) so I LOVE the moon card, and I also love all the others! They are so beautiful, it's hard to pick a fave card. I really like the 6 Wands too!

Hereternally, congratulations on your beautiful deck - put me on the preorder list! lol ;)

I am so glad that my link to the shamanism page helped you in any way.

Can't wait to see the new ones you create!

hereeternally

Thank you SO much! I'm a sucker for rabbits, lol, so the Moon card is definitely special to me.

I finished a couple of cards since: the Ace of Pentacles, Ace of Swords and the Page of Cups. http://sobeyondthis.deviantart.com/gallery/32847081 I need to add some tweaks to the Ace of Swords still.. I forgot to add the wood-like texture on the bottom, and I was originally going to add some leaves wrapping around the sword. Whoops!

Padma

Thank you SO much! I'm a sucker for rabbits, lol, so the Moon card is definitely special to me.

I finished a couple of cards since: the Ace of Pentacles, Ace of Swords and the Page of Cups. http://sobeyondthis.deviantart.com/gallery/32847081 I need to add some tweaks to the Ace of Swords still.. I forgot to add the wood-like texture on the bottom, and I was originally going to add some leaves wrapping around the sword. Whoops!

oh, they are awesome :) I love your Page of Cups! So cute! and the eagle on the hilt of the sword for the ace is lovely. The ace of pents is gorgeous too - so rich and warm :) thanks for keeping us all posted!

What a big job to take on, and you are doing it so well! :D Will you truly use the giraffe for the high priestess? That would be interesting - and it works, what with their heads being in the clouds, and being such mysterious creatures, in any case...