Tarot of the Origins? - eBay

Mi-Shell

Funny... there seem to be quite a few in Poland. I bought one from there and I have seen others for sale on ebay from Polish sellers. And before anyone thinks I'm hinting it might be a counterfeit copy, it won't be. Mine from Poland is true, authentic and as-LoS-as-they-come!

I am not surprised, that this deck is/ was popular in Poland and maybe also Russia....
and in a few other ex- eastern Block countries.
The rawness of the artwork always sort of reminded me of artwork seen in soviet propaganda leaflets and also sculptures....????
.. :( It is probably just me...??

Attachments

• tumblr_lka3rzLrzz1qggzijo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_lka3rzLrzz1qggzijo1_500.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 300px-Manizer_Worker(relief).jpg
    300px-Manizer_Worker(relief).jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 2007-11-05 099 custom.JPG
    2007-11-05 099 custom.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 92

Le Fanu

Interesting observation. And very true. That first sculpture has something of the same atmosphere Tarot of the Origins backsgrounds for sure.

Mi-Shell

Oh! :)
Honestly, I am soooo relieved you are saying that, because I have been carrying this feeling about the deck around with me for a few years and never quite knew how to put it into words....

Le Fanu

It also gives me a new way into the deck; that grey sculptural feel, the rather odd composition and volume... I'd never thought of it this way before. And when it was in print maybe many copies ended up drifting Eastwards?

Mi-Shell

Maybe these countries are fertile "hunting grounds" for people searching for this deck?
On the other hand, this spring in Toronto's "worlds biggest bookstore" I observed that they had at least 2 decks on display - never mind their 'look through" copy....

astronautica

Funny... there seem to be quite a few in Poland. I bought one from there and I have seen others for sale on ebay from Polish sellers. And before anyone thinks I'm hinting it might be a counterfeit copy, it won't be. Mine from Poland is true, authentic and as-LoS-as-they-come!

The seller I bought mine from has received 100% positive feedback, so I hope that's something to go by as far as the authenticity of the deck is concerned (never bought from ebay before so it was a little scary!). It's a german edition, but that doesn't bother me :)

Fascinating pictures, Mi-Shell! It really shines an interesting light to view the deck in. That first sculpture is very powerful, the texture and angles of the stone almost make it look volcanic - very prehistoric! And you can see something of the deck's bleak, sombre contemplation in the faces of the sculptures. An interesting correlation :)

gregory

Maybe these countries are fertile "hunting grounds" for people searching for this deck?
On the other hand, this spring in Toronto's "worlds biggest bookstore" I observed that they had at least 2 decks on display - never mind their 'look through" copy....

This is true - as also in BMV. I was going to try buy them up next time I was over, but didn't want to over-excite anyone !

Xanoxt

Sorry to necropost, but I am kind of looking for this deck also, and have been for quite a long time.
I live in Russia and I've been looking for it for about four or five years I think, and didn't have any good luck.

I really hope that they some time come to reprinting it or something.

HudsonGray

Is the Tarot of the Origins really so high priced? I'd picked up mine from a used bookstore about 8 years ago for around $5. I didn't know it was that expensive now.

Le Fanu

I think bargains will always be found. I have also found rarities for $5. 8 years ago you still used to see it around... I doubt you'll see it as "Buy it Now" for $5 on ebay. I have seen it priced at about $60-$90, maybe more in other places that I don't know of.

It's a weird deck. :D