Best Meditative Tarot Deck/s

Flidais

Haindl

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned the Haindl deck. I find these cards to be evocative and inspiring with their many layers of meaning and details -- in other words, ideal for meditation.

Parzival

Best Meditative Tarot Deck

Cerulean said:
...I do understand the fragrance of the dual path tarot in terms of East and West seems strikingly unique. I also like peaceable, stilling images at times...but I was thinking meditation could be a little more durable and real-life, reflective of my thoughts and curiousity.

But if one comes from a world of whatever dual path is being shown, this becomes more a naturalistic adjustment. It makes me sigh a little, because as someone posted of something becoming so familiar...it is an agreeable feeling, but it doesn't always open my meditative self to be as open as it should. So my deck choices for reading and opening myself to meditative wisdom may be strikingly different than my regular reading for other or experimental study decks.

I just received something that strikes me as both modern, naturalistic, agreeable to me and yet more of an unknown doorway that opens my adjustments and filters in a better way. I want my tarot pictures to not be static to my creative mind, but also spark interaction--so that my meditations are not just spiritual high spots, but really interactive with my life.

I just received the larger, more vivid Tarot of Eden and it's otherworldly, yet calm depths...and I've not been disappointed with the few Urania Verlag titles that I have translated into English. Each of my titles, whether Via, Ananda and now Tarot of Eden, seems to be focused in a different, yet deep bent. The systems and art and truely felt and thought out by the authors and artists...

---These Urania Verlag titles certainly add to the dimension of Tarot of this thread. The Via is profoundly mysterious and meditative, with art that finds the bridge between dramatic image and meditative depth.
I didn't mean to emphasize a polarity or lack of unity between decks that serve a Now, non-time focus, and those that are more a journey into and through time, with Future-envisioning. To me, Tarot is the whole World, and that includes Now-decks and Alpha-to-Omega decks. Both are needed spiritual tools. Complementary, not opposed. Not a "dual path" I hope, but two windows through which we see Reality.

Logiatrix

Frank Hall said:
Why was the Diamond Tarot so excellent for meditation?
Klaus Holitzka, the artist of the Diamond Tarot is a purveyor
of the mandala as a healing tool. He has produced several books of
mandala art, in which the mandalas are intended to be colored-in, as
a means of healing meditation.

I find that Holitzka's mandala work carries nicely over into his art for
the Diamond Tarot. He strategically uses color, shapes and
symmetry to make tarot cards into vivid portals. If you note the
wide, colorful frames around the images, you will see that they are
actually corridors that lead into each portal. The idea is to slowly
focus inward from the outer edges, then through the corridor, and
then into the center of the card.
I found this technique to be extremely conducive to the meditation
process.
:cool:

Frank Hall said:
<snip>...So, there are the Now decks and the Yet-To-Happen decks. Two different purposes, visions, directions, Eastern no-time and Western chronological time in the psyche of the Tarot. This two-path Tarot seems stronger in recent years...<snip>
I like that.
"Now" decks and "Yet-To-Happen" decks is an excellent way of
seeing these two Tarot paths.
Frank Hall said:
<snip>...To me, Tarot is the whole World, and that includes Now-decks and Alpha-to-Omega decks. Both are needed spiritual tools. Complementary, not opposed. Not a "dual path" I hope, but two windows through which we see Reality...<snip>
Very well stated...I can't contribute anything to improve your
words, except to say that they are worthy of re-posting
here...
:)

lelandra

Frank Hall said:
Thank you RiccardoLS for your questions and suggestions. I'd like to get Tarot of the Imagination. Soon to come. Interesting that Tarot of the Spirit, Thoth, and a version of Waite-Smith have been suggested. These certainly are classic Meditative decks, tied to Kabbalah and Grail. But what about some more recent ones? ( Not all decks need to fit this vision of Tarot.)

R.J. Stewart's Merlin has openings to other areas showing on the Majors, for instance a cave mouth on the Sun, the Moon Pool you dive in on the Moon. His Dreampower deck is also extremely wonderful and very very different from the usual Tarot images. Osho Zen has some marvelous cards (I am especially enamored of some of the pips). Roots of Asia would be another in the Buddhist vein. The Hallowquest deck has incredible landscape pips that are perfect for travelling/journeying meditations. Hudes has a quiet and compassionate feel with many very subtle insights that are not apparent in a quick flip through.

Just a few off the top of my head...
Lelandra (Joan Cole)

Vadella

Logiatrix said:
The "Psychedelic RWS" or the Diamond Tarot is my absolute favorite for pathworking (visualization), which is the form of meditation I prefer.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/diamond/

If you want imagery that provides a "doorway" to step into, then this one is an excellent option, IMHO.
:)

Thanks. :) I really like the Diamond tarot. I will now add it to my list.

Little Baron

When I think of mediative decks, I always think of the Thoth; also, the Rohrig is quite dreamy and there are many layers to get inbetween.

Best,
LB

NightWing

More Recent Med Tools?

As I was mentally reviewing various decks that either ARE good for meditation, like the Margarete Petersen T., or appear to have potential for the same, a fairly recent deck came to mind. I'd like to suggest checking out Timothy Lantz's "Archeon Tarot" as a possible candidate for meditation work.

Having seen some of the images, I plan to take a close look at the "Animals Divine Tarot" in this regard too. Of course, these may be just a matter of personal taste, because (for different reasons) the art in each case has a certain appeal for me, and tends to "pull me in".

tarobones

medtation and images

I have found that decks with striking images and scenes have always been better for me; that's why the minor-pips-only decks don't speak to me personally. I really like the Fey Tarot for meditation.........the scenes are fascinating and very graphic. BB, Michael

Emeraldgirl

I have found that the Chakra Arcana Tarot is really good for meditation. Also the Driudcraft has fantastic images that you can loose yourself in.

tarobones

My Meditations

Currently I use several decks, much depending upon my mood: Intuitive Tarot by Cilla Conway, Fey Tarot, Spiral Tarot, Light and Shadow Tarot, Sacred Rose Tarot. I like to meditate by "entering the card" a sort combined visualization and creative approach to exploring an image. I also very much enjoy "taking the image with me through out the day" as a way not only to learn a deck, but also as a way to keep exploring the image. BB, Michael