Shadowscapes Tarot

MeeWah

First stumbled on Stephanie Pui-Mun Law's deck-in-progress a few years ago. & been waiting since for its completion.

I like the artwork. Despite its general bright or light appearance, I can see shadows; light & dark; & shades in between. Some imagery has more of the dichotomous influences than others, apparently due to the execution, colours & shading.

1-The Magician:

http://www.shadowscapes.com/Tarot/majors.php?card=1

On card right, just below the wings from which objects hang on red cords, there is a vortex shape. As if the elements stirred by those objects, & the energy they contain or represent. Those forces may be constructive or destructive. If the latter, The Magician may lose his footing or balance. In a way, he akin to The Fool.

2-The High Priestess:

http://www.shadowscapes.com/Tarot/majors.php?card=2

An unusual rendition of the High Priestess for its setting & colours, she holds an apple with a bite out of it in her left hand. Her garments of purples & grays, they represent the higher wisdom at her grasp. She has partaken of knowledge (the apple), & its wholistic essence resides within her. Her element Air, she barely perches on a large branch like a bird. The Owl her familiar, it carries her messages to those who would hear/listen.

Mira

This one is definitely going on my list of "must haves", I love it!

uwe

Wow.....IT WILL BE MINE!!

Little Baron

Marion said:
I will say this one is very pretty. But, the images look like they were made to be greeting cards (and suspect they'll be sold that way). Just nothing there; all form no substance. :)

Perfectly summed up, Marion.

LB

Papageno

I think this might actually be one of the few decks wherein the minors eclipse the Majors. overall it's a stunning deck. who is the publisher?

souljourney

I don't think she has a publisher yet. I would think US Games or Llewellyn would publish though if she approached them... or even a smaller press.

Papageno

souljourney said:
I don't think she has a publisher yet. I would think US Games or Llewellyn would publish though if she approached them... or even a smaller press.

Oh yuck, I hope it's not Llewellyn

Debra

Marion said:
I will say this one is very pretty. But, the images look like they were made to be greeting cards (and suspect they'll be sold that way). :)

I see that she's selling the images now as 8.5 x 11 and 11 x 17 inch prints.

Apocalipstick

She's a fairly well-known fantasy artist, so she won't have any problems finding someone to publish the deck, or finding people to buy the prints.

They're exceedingly pretty for the type of art they are, and the deck's name is evocative enough, but as some have already pointed out, what's lacking in depth is padded with sugar.

Obviously, this is just my opinion. :D

elvenstar

'Twee' means too sweet, too cute. I can see why people say that, but it doesn't feel this way to me, I can see both light and darkness. The fact the most images seem to have the same colouring is a bit weird though, I tend to rely on that for readings too. But I could make an effort for such a lovely deck :D