Shadowscapes Tarot

Little Baron

I recognise your avatar Tris-Pap ;) Always reminds me of the Apple logo.

I can't remember the conversation; my memory is a bit rubbish. But I am not a fan of the Archeon, as you probably know. I am guessing that you are not either. I think that it is another deck that relies on trying to be either attractive, glossy, artistically superior or dark. Some of these artists need to look from the perspective of the reader, rather than trying to showcase their artwork or skills as the primary consideration. It's like being a writer who is more interested in using long words than interested in the story. The reader just wants a good story, with the necessary ingredients. I think there is a lot of that these days - 'look at me and what I can do .. isn't my art better than the next guys'. Who cares? If it doesn't read well, it doesn't read well, and that's that!

There are some fabulous artists out there. But not all fabulous artists make fabulous decks.

LB

elvenstar

I'm with HearthCricket on this one. Also what is readable and worthwhile and what is wishy-washy or unusable is in the eye of the beholder. I never could read with the Waite, so it's unlikely I'll ever go back to it for example. For me it's totally useless. But there must be something of value if all these other thousands of readers think it's the best deck ever :D

Little Baron

elvenstar said:
I never could read with the Waite, so it's unlikely I'll ever go back to it for example. For me it's totally useless. But there must be something of value if all these other thousands of readers think it's the best deck ever :D

Especially, if they are going to copy it's standard, like this one has in many places.

LB

Papageno

LittleBuddha said:
I recognise your avatar Tris-Pap ;) Always reminds me of the Apple logo.

I can't remember the conversation; my memory is a bit rubbish. But I am not a fan of the Archeon, as you probably know. I am guessing that you are not either. I think that it is another deck that relies on trying to be either attractive, glossy, artistically superior or dark. Some of these artists need to look from the perspective of the reader, rather than trying to showcase their artwork or skills as the primary consideration. It's like being a writer who is more interested in using long words than interested in the story. The reader just wants a good story, with the necessary ingredients. I think there is a lot of that these days - 'look at me and what I can do .. isn't my art better than the next guys'. Who cares? If it doesn't read well, it doesn't read well, and that's that!

There are some fabulous artists out there. But not all fabulous artists make fabulous decks.

LB

it IS an Apple logo.

I guess we're using different criteria to judge tarot art.

yours is primarily readability first and foremost.

mine is aesthetic, readability is secondary to me (*gasp*).
Last count I have about 181 decks and prints.
only about 5% of those are used for reading. that comes to about 8 or 9 which is about right.

Little Baron

Papageno said:
yours is primarily readability first and foremost.

Yes, I suppose it is. I have already judged the images, otherwise. Her art is superb. Stunning.

But having a car sitting in the garage, shiny and lovely to clean and admire, is all very well. But if I cannot drive it, for me, it is little use.

LB

elvenstar

LittleBuddha said:
Especially, if they are going to copy it's standard, like this one has in many places.

LB
Sorry, I was lazy, I should have said Waite-Smith, as she was the artist and it's the colours and art I'm referring to and not the standards, meaning or symbolism. I've got absolutely nothing against it and I'm not judging it, it's just that I cannot use it! What I was trying to say is that because it's not good for you it doesn't mean it's not good in general. And since we're talking about art, I don't know if anyone can ever be objective...

Edited to add: I don't think we actually disagree, I just felt the need to point out that sometimes it doesn't help to generalise, as we're all very different. :love:

Tara2007

MeeWah said:
First stumbled on Stephanie Pui-Mun Law's deck-in-progress a few years ago. & been waiting since for its completion.

I like the artwork. Despite its general bright or light appearance, I can see shadows; light & dark; & shades in between. Some imagery has more of the dichotomous influences than others, apparently due to the execution, colours & shading.

1-The Magician:

http://www.shadowscapes.com/Tarot/majors.php?card=1

On card right, just below the wings from which objects hang on red cords, there is a vortex shape. As if the elements stirred by those objects, & the energy they contain or represent. Those forces may be constructive or destructive. If the latter, The Magician may lose his footing or balance. In a way, he akin to The Fool.

2-The High Priestess:

http://www.shadowscapes.com/Tarot/majors.php?card=2

An unusual rendition of the High Priestess for its setting & colours, she holds an apple with a bite out of it in her left hand. Her garments of purples & grays, they represent the higher wisdom at her grasp. She has partaken of knowledge (the apple), & its wholistic essence resides within her. Her element Air, she barely perches on a large branch like a bird. The Owl her familiar, it carries her messages to those who would hear/listen.

I love this HP. Did you notice her arms spread out in a V? And the tree branches and the owl's wings as well? The rudimentary chalice, you know.

The Magician is so focused and skillful. A true master of what his work.

I am eagerly awaiting the day this deck is available!

Little Baron

Oh of course, ES.

I am not saying it won't be effective for others.

But I really like to be part of these threads [this, the Gilded, the LoS decks] because I feel these threads should be well-rounded. People will look here when they consider buying in the future. They might overlook some aspects of how this deck is. And I think that any thread that has endless 'I love it .. got to have it .. it's on my wishlist' posts doesn't give an all round representation. If I was interested in this deck, I would like to hear all opinions. And HC is right, we are an aeclectic bunch. Viewing and discussing what we like and do not is an important part of finding out about ourselves, in the same way as reading cards.

LB

elvenstar

By all means, Lb, fire away! And I'll remember to drop by threads about minimalist decks to have my say :p

About the deck: The hierophant is an interesting card too, with the ent-like figure, expressing both old knowledge and lack of flexibility.

Little Baron

elvenstar said:
By all means, Lb, fire away! And I'll remember to drop by threads about minimalist decks to have my say :p

Please do. It is how we learn. And also, on occasion, I can see the worth in something I thought I might not.

But it is not always as cut and dry as that. Some decks have a lot going on in them but still manage to bring it all together and be direct. The Cosmic Tribe is a good example of such.

LB