Readings using Playing Cards?

augursWell

Meewah,

I'll just have to say, your reading was quite accurate. :) The King of Pentacles has been showing up a lot lately in readings for myself, and quite appropriately to what's happening in my life right now.

I had never thought about the idea of the shapes of numbers indicating a concept. That's very interesting. I always approached it from a geometric view where, for example, one object in the center of four (the number five) might indicate a sense of being surrounded or fenced in whereas six is more balanced, etc.

MeeWah

augursWell: Thanks, as feedback is helpful.

Your approach has merit as it sees the relationship of one object or shape to another or other objects/shapes.

Mathematics is not one of my strengths; however, numbers strike me as part of the realm of symbols based on their shapes or forms. Of an archaic an origin as those symbols classified as archetypal. Numbers serve as a language; embody concepts & of the metaphyical; in my view, tell the story of creation.

In looking at basic shapes, we see the following:

The circle or "O" is complete in & of itself. No beginning nor end. Thus it can represent wholeness; life eternal. The superconscious or the god consciousness.

The straight line, horizontal "__" or vertical "l" is the distance between two points. It represents action; the first movement or issue; the creative principle; form out of a void; ONE. Hence it is representative of a beginning; the conscious mind; the ego; man. The male, active principle.

The curved line, crescent or semi-circle ")" is half of the circle; one part of the whole. Representative of the semi-conscious or unconscious.

"2" is a semi-circle atop a horizontal line. The semi-circle is of spirit; the horizontal line is man, or "fallen man". Spirit is above man. TWO alludes to the mental realm where the unconscious resides, being "above" the conscious. Represents duality in manifestation as TWO is composed of spirit & matter. The feminine, passive principle.

"3" is two semi-circles atop one another. THREE is creation, development or giving birth. Rescue of man by spiritual intervention; resolution of duality; spiritual synthesis. The soul or the divine feminine. A holy trinity; father, mother, child; crone, mother, maiden. The 3 dimensions of earthly life: spirit, mental, physical or superconscious, unconscious, conscious.

"4" is composed of a triangle & a cross. In 4, Man stands upright & carries the divine principle with him. FOUR is Earth; the human condition. Reason, logic. Depth & width. Manifestation, material achievement. The 4 elements: Fire, Water, Earth, Air. The 4 seasons: Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter.

skytwig

This is a thread worth copying into a Word document! Thanks for posting it, augersWell. I have been fascinated by playing cards since childhood, always wanting to do more than play games with them!!! :laugh:

I have a book, which is in storage right now, that you may find helpful... Raymond Buckland's Gypsy Fortunetelling . The old Gypsy views of things can be quite 'shocking', so it takes some open mindedness..... but I really think I (and maybe many of us here!) read this way in another life, that's why I (and us!! :) ) have been so drawn to playing cards!!

augursWell

I guess I have an ulterior motive here in one respect. Since I am still a "closet" tarot reader I'm thinking that doing readings with playing cards, if I'm in public, may help preserve my closet-ness. As long as I keep it to myself then it may seem that I'm just playing a game of solitaire. :D

Thanks MeeWah for that numeric listing. Many of the meanings make sense to me and seem well related to the "gemetric" ideas I had on the subject. If I find the time I will try and extend your list or include mine.

augursWell

Skytwig, that book by Buckland sounds interesting. His tarot deck has been on my list to buy for awhile.

augursWell

augursWell said:
I beleive it was Atelliar(sp?) who first collected these meanings from French cartomancers and created his "Book of Thoth" which had the first illustrated pips.
It turns out I was wrong about this as the deck does not have illustrated pips but includes meanings in French at the top and bottom of the card.

And the name is Etteilla, Aeclectic has some examples online: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/book-of-thoth-etteilla/index.shtml