Rider Waite Tarot (1971)

Ambrosia

Am I right in presuming this version is no longer in print?

This is the deck I learned with (as opposed to the "original" or the current standard Rider Waite) and is my favourite of all the RWS decks :

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/rider-waite-us-games/

The current Rider Waite version I find to be garish in its colouring and I dislike the typed lettering too :

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/rider-waite/

I would love to get my hands on a copy of the 1971 version - any ideas?

I do own the Universal Waite in standard and pocket size, both of which I like, but I'd like to get one closer to the feeling of the one I learned with years ago.

My next choice would be the Original Rider Waite - The PCS commemorative seems a bit too dark to me, though that could be the scans.

Any suggestions?

Essjay

Hopefully people who are experts on this will come and give you more information but I think that the only way you can get a checkered backed 1971 RWS is on ebay.

The garishly coloured one is the current US Games release I believe.

You could try an ISO on the trading thread in case someone has a spare :)

Eta: Yes, the 1971 is out of print in that US Games have the copyright and they are releasing what they consider to be the original. There are some great threads on here about the different plates used and how the colours and thickness of the lines have differed over the years.

This is a great thread about the Pamela Centenary Edition: -

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=117969&highlight=commemorative

Ambrosia

Thanks Essjay. :)

Yea, I just can't bloody stand that current version. I think the 1971 edition has lovely soft colouring and is a lot easier on the eye.

The "original" would probably be my pick after the 1971 - it's muddier, but still quite soft IMO.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/original-rider-waite/

Does anyone know if the Pamela Colman Smith commemorative is true to the scans here? They look quite dark but they be more colourful in person. How do they compare to the Original?

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/smith-waite/

Guess Ill keep my eye out for that elusive 1971 edition though.

KariRoad

imho

Hello Ambrosia,

There were 3 distinct printing variations before the "Rider Tarot" was issued with typeset titles, and any of these would be a nice addition for Reading or collecting. 1) no copyright (prior to 1975). 2) copyright with matte finish (1975-c1985). 3) copyright with glossy finish (1985-c1995). Once the titles were typeset, something intrinsically valuable was lost.

So one needn't look for anything more difficult to find than "hand-lettered" titles to have a very nice edition of the regular deck. (The "Original" and the "Commemorative" are something else altogether.)

Keep rockin! Kari

cronegoddess54

I have the 1971 edition and it is lovely, don't like the blue checkery backs though....did not know it is OOP. Wow, I own an OOP deck!

cronegoddess54

Amazon has them reasonable....

Ambrosia

KariRoad said:
Hello Ambrosia,

There were 3 distinct printing variations before the "Rider Tarot" was issued with typeset titles, and any of these would be a nice addition for Reading or collecting. 1) no copyright (prior to 1975). 2) copyright with matte finish (1975-c1985). 3) copyright with glossy finish (1985-c1995). Once the titles were typeset, something intrinsically valuable was lost.

So one needn't look for anything more difficult to find than "hand-lettered" titles to have a very nice edition of the regular deck. (The "Original" and the "Commemorative" are something else altogether.)

Keep rockin! Kari

Thanks Kari - I will look for an older one without typeset titles.

So what's the difference between the current regular Rider Waite and the current Original Rider Waite?
I don't like the garish colouring on the current regular version so I'm not really interested in getting it - the Original seems softer, as does the centennial version.

Ambrosia

cronegoddess54 said:
I have the 1971 edition and it is lovely, don't like the blue checkery backs though....did not know it is OOP. Wow, I own an OOP deck!

Ha ha - yes you're lucky. It's the prettiest of the regular RWS in my opinion. :)

Vesper

Found One Today

In my used book store. Paid five dollars for it. I just finished putting the cards in order to make sure everything was there.

The cards feel lovely. Just like paper. And they have the faintest smell of... I guess it's patchouli and nag champa. It's very subtle, but I feel almost like I've gone back in time. Whoever had this deck didn't use it much, or not with dirty fingers, anyway. The box is pretty grubby, but the white part of the cards is still white.

Debra

Just found this. Thanks, KariR, for the clarification.

I've got two pre-1975 no copyright softer colors handprinted titles--one a gift, my first deck and I still use it.

The "original" greeny-gold version with the roses & lillies backs is just lovely and in fact quite true in tone to one of the Pam's--I've forgotten which, I think it's Rodney's Pam B. I bought it because someone kept leaving it around the shop we worked in and every time it caught my eye. Rich beautiful colors.

The Commemorative doesn't seem to be the same colors as any of the oldest printings I've seen.

eta: Evelone, I'm glad for you--isn't it a beauty.