Hebrew Alphabet Book reccomendation

joya250

hey guys --

yes, I am going to recommend this book, even though I have yet to read it! Just picked it up today. It is a newly published book by (good ol') Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki, called "Illuminations -- Mystical Meditations on the Hebrew Alphabet"

Each chapter focus on a letter of the Hebrew Alphabet, including corresponding pathworkings, rituals, etc, etc. One of the most in-depth focusings I've come across on each of the letters. I know personally, this will be very instructive, as I have previously found an intimate understanding of the letters overwhelming -- especially as they are usually presented in a large group, or in a chart, as something to be memorized before "gettin' on to the 'good' stuff"...

(edited to fix spelling mistake... but, doh!, couldn't change the subject line...)

rota

That sounds like a winner, all right, though I haven't seen the book you're referring to. Can I also point out this recently-published work that I found interesting, and more-than-interesting? It's called 'The Western Mysteries', by a David Hulse. It's one of two telephone-book-sized volumes (the other one's called, oddly enough, 'The Eastern Mysteries') that gives spiritual insight into the various alphabets of the world.
If you do check it out in a bookstore, or wherever, I'd be interested in your impressions.

jmd

I do not have this book, but Dolores's work is sound in terms of the tradition it seeks to work from... a Golden Dawn derivative tradition.

Be aware that as such, it may also be at variance with more traditional Kabalistic thought.

Ravenswing

i'll second both...

oh yeah--

'Illuminations' is a definite book for anyone studying the alf-bet. It's well worth the reading-- and to interact with. It's a practical guide and personal introduction to each of the letters. Very clear and concise....

as for the 'Eastern/Western Mysteries'--

This is absolutely wonderful for anyone interested in letter/number corrospondences. I started my personal studies with gematria-- the Hebrew 'numerology'. These volumes add in equivalences in 12 other languages...

Raven