What do you desire in deck creation?

gregory

I do have a comment about card size. I know that this is up to the individual artist, but it would be excellent if there were a slightly larger card size available - for example a 4 3/4" X 2 1/2 " size would be a nice option.

There is a large size available - the Zombie Apocalypse is well larger than that :)

Bertrand

Hello Gregory
TGC - do creators have the option of JUST a ziploc bag - and if not, why not ?
from my experience with TGC : if you choose no box at all, the the cards will ziplocked, but then the deck won't be "publishable" on TGC website (meaning the deck can be seen and bought from its TGC page but won't appear in the listings not can be promoted or appear in the "what's hot section"), therefore a mini deck can't be listed except when using a ... medium game box : you can't use a poker size box or tarot size box for a mini deck on TGC' system, while technically a mini deck in its ziplock back would fit in a big poker or tarot tuck box.

I think it would be ok to sell decks in ziplock bags too, a "WARNING NO BOX INCLUDED" in the "components" section of the page, with a link to a page explaining the different packagings available for the deck creator, would be fine.

Mallah

I am gearing up to use your service to make my deck available. I'm presently planning on the jumbo size; it would be nice though if you offered a smaller size with the same aspect ratio so a "mini" could be available.

Another thing it would be nice to see is the ability to POD the book that goes with my deck. It's going to be more than a booklet, however, and I will have to go thru a different POD source to offer it to the public; so the book/deck combo will not be available together.

I'm looking forward to using your service, and so glad you are running this thread to get our feedback!

Winterchild

Actually - minority view here ? I am QUITE happy to get my deck in a plastic bag (as opposed to tuck box or "velvet" bag) as long as it is MAILED in a sensible sized box. I can see that adding bags to the equation would up costs, however cheap they are.

I buy pretty bags from the Dollar Store in bulk anyway, as quite a few self-published ones from elsewhere arrive bagless ! - and I am happy to bag my own. Just saying :D

Agreed.. plastic ziplock is fine... I make all my own bags.... it is just that I was expecting a rather plush red bag with my zombie so I was a little shocked. The organza bags are infinitely better than these.

Also agree re adding the human element. I am so glad those big boxes are no longer default! I have a standard size 12 dollar shipping box here and the ZA fits beautifully, with brown paper padding!!

I do realise the designers choose, but they cannot choose these options if you don't make the available!! I think a video is a great idea... but I can also see how you don't want to discourage people from using your service, both designers and buyers.

Thanks again for your input here.

The Game Crafter

Addidng more 'human' in the proccess of packaging would make a diffrence, yes. It can't all be done by robotics. When someone sees a 4x2x3" deck being dropped into a box big enough to ship a puppy in, they should be pulling it and repackaging it into something more appropriate.

First, that shouldn't happen with near the frequency it once did thanks to our new shipping system. It now picks the best box for the dimensions of the items being shipped and the shipping method that you choose.

Second, I think you're assuming that we stock every size and shape of box imaginable. We don't. Our space to store shipping boxes is limited. At the time of this writing we already store 15 types of shipping boxes, which takes up a huge portion of our storage area. We did recently add a 8x6x3 box for First Class and Parcel Post orders with small decks.

Third, what difference would it make at that point? You've already paid for a certain size of shipping, because as I stated earlier, we need to charge you for shipping at checkout time, not at shipping time.

Wholesale buying of drawstring bags can be done cheaper, the wedding industry has the right sizes for cheap, when they can resell them for $3 retail at Michaels, their supplier can give you a deal just as good. OR you can contract locally with independent sewers, those kinds of bags are not difficult to make enmasse.

As I stated previously we have contacted several local vendors and were not able to procure them in the united states inexpensively.

My sister's daughter had her wedding in Sept., she ordered the organza bags off the Uline site (they have an excellent selection of color, all drawstring) which totaled 37 cents each in the size that would hold a tarot deck. They also offer gold mettalic bags that are drawstring, for 44 cents each. They're on page 167 of their online catalog here---
http://catalog.uline.com/WebProject.asp?CodeId=7.7.1.23&BookCode=dqq12flx&Language=enu
Uline ships next day, the drawstring bags come in bundles of 100 and 120 for the above choices, so even if you only get one bundle, that would be cheap enough to cover tarot deck sales at your end.

Thank you for that. I had no idea that Uline was selling bags like this. We already order boxes from them, so I'll definitely check out their selection of bags and see what we can do to add them to our inventory.

The Game Crafter

TGC - do creators have the option of JUST a ziploc bag - and if not, why not ?

Yes, if they choose to order for themselves or if they direct you guys to their shop page. However, to be listed in our shop search engine they must include a box. This is for two reasons:

1) Our shipping calculator works much better if they have a box.

2) We did a survey a couple years ago about customer expectations, and customers by enlarge (over 80%) said they would be disappointed if their game arrived without a box. Now I realize that tarot customers might have slightly different expectations, but I can't impose different rules for different kinds of games.

The Game Crafter

I do have a comment about card size. I know that this is up to the individual artist, but it would be excellent if there were a slightly larger card size available - for example a 4 3/4" X 2 1/2 " size would be a nice option.
:D

We have two large sizes of cards. First we have traditional tarot sized cards at 2.75 x 4.75 inches, and we have a nice fully printed tuck box to go with it. And we also have jumbo cards at 3.5 x 5.5, and a tuck box is coming shortly for that size.

The Game Crafter

Another thing it would be nice to see is the ability to POD the book that goes with my deck. It's going to be more than a booklet, however, and I will have to go thru a different POD source to offer it to the public; so the book/deck combo will not be available together.

What are you looking for in a book? What size and page count?

gregory

Third, what difference would it make at that point? You've already paid for a certain size of shipping, because as I stated earlier, we need to charge you for shipping at checkout time, not at shipping time.
It isn't JUST about the cost; there is also the "green" issue. It is just so wasteful.

Yes, if they choose to order for themselves or if they direct you guys to their shop page. However, to be listed in our shop search engine they must include a box. This is for two reasons:

1) Our shipping calculator works much better if they have a box.

2) We did a survey a couple years ago about customer expectations, and customers by enlarge (over 80%) said they would be disappointed if their game arrived without a box. Now I realize that tarot customers might have slightly different expectations, but I can't impose different rules for different kinds of games.
Can you not simply offer the ziploc option, as probably few game creators would want it anyway, so the question would be academic. Your survey was - as you say - a couple of years ago. Tarot on your site has taken off since then (when I first went there there were a whole TWO listed !) - and as you can see - we are most of us totally HAPPY with ziplocs. A lot of self-published decks come that way. My 50 or so cheap bags await them !
(I must say I can't see what a calculator works better with a box; surely it calculates by WEIGHT as much as anything. And ANY ziplocked deck would fit in a standard small mailer. Even the ZA !)

Mallah

@ tgc

As to the book, it's much too early to tell! The deck will be done by spring, but I expect the book to trail along behind that. I don't anticipate putting off publishing the deck just because the book isn't ready yet. I'll just have to deal with that part of it later.