Going cold turkey

Awkward.turtle91

Has any one ever not brought any tarot decks for a whole year?, but just focused on and appreciated the ones they own.

I've got my self short on money twice now for over buying, I don't regret it.

If you've done it, how have you? Any words of wisdom?

I want to start using my intuition more, and find decks that want me and have a history with them that way you know.

With new decks coming out I desire it might be difficult, I wonder if I can create a reward system and build it up bit by bit.

So if I go one month straight 1 deck purchase.

Or something like that to give me inventive.

GotH

Me. I stopped buying decks when I realized I was able to read with pretty much anything. Magazines, photos, books, television and crystals to name some. I DO enjoy the ART in certain cards though so I'll always look forward to picking up decks that attract me here and then.

Awkward.turtle91

Me. I stopped buying decks when I realized I was able to read with pretty much anything. Magazines, photos, books, television and crystals to name some. I DO enjoy the ART in certain cards though so I'll always look forward to picking up decks that attract me here and then.

It's not that I'm unable to read, I'm sorry to hear of your struggles. <3 that must suck sometimes. I love the art which is why I buy so many lol.

I just need to cut back I think. Enjoy what I own. Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

euripides

There's quite a few decks I would love to have, but I already have quite a few. How many can you really read with? I'm used to not buying things because with two kids, a mortgage and variable income, we're usually fairly broke. So I put them on my wishlist and forget about them. Funnily enough, I often find that as time passes, I never really wanted it that much anyway. There's always a lot of hype around new decks and it's attractive to want to be part of that.

I think acquisitiveness is, in general, harmful.

I'd caution against rewarding yourself with the thing you're trying to not do.

Edit to add: the reward for not buying is the deeper knowledge of the decks you already have, familiarity with the imagery, sensitivity to hidden possibilities you'd not previously seen. Why are we unsatisfied with what we have? Is it just the lure of the novel? The excitement of the unknown? It's a wonder any of us stay in one place and stay married.

There's a lot to be said for simplicity. We are spoilt for choice. Have few things, and use them well.

Barleywine

Cold turkey? Not a chance. I've just been my usual "warmed-over turkey" and have held myself to less than half-a-dozen decks a year.

Richard

Has any one ever not brought any tarot decks for a whole year?, but just focused on and appreciated the ones they own.

Yes.

If you've done it, how have you? Any words of wisdom?

I don't see any value in most Tarot decks. Often Tarot is just a platform for artists to sell their work.

I want to start using my intuition more, and find decks that want me and have a history with them that way you know.

That's a good attitude.

With new decks coming out I desire it might be difficult, I wonder if I can create a reward system and build it up bit by bit.

So if I go one month straight 1 deck purchase.

Or something like that to give me inventive.

You should not need to limit yourself in that way. Probably you have had experience with other new decks that have not been worth the expense. Just wait awhile until the new deck hype dies down, and then see if you still want it.

willowy

From personal experience,I know cold turkey leads to binges for me,whatever I'm trying to stop doing,so unless you have a will of steel I don't recommend it.
I would go for allowing yourself say 3, 6 or 12 decks a year,it still allows you to get any really special decks what come out such as baba studio or limited edition,or any what you've had your eye on for awhile,and it means you have something to look forward too,but it also teaches deck descrimination,for if you 're only getting one deck you have to make sure its one you're really going to enjoy so it takes away impulse buying and encourages doing more investigation into a deck before buying,for instance do you really need another rider waite clone or would you prefer the cards that are more original such as wild unknown?
I am doing this as last year I went off like an addict over decks and spent more than I could really afford on them.
This has truly helped me regain some control over my deck buying.

Aesoteric

I think it's probably been about 5 years since I bought any kind of divination cards, and more like 15 since I bought tarot specifically. I mostly use one deck in the hope that once I get the basics of that one down I'll be able to apply that to anything I use. It's still a work in progress.

Zephyros

I don't buy decks periodically at all, only if something really appeals to me. Add to that the fact that I have very specific tastes and demands of decks, and I can go years without buying a new one. Once I found "the one," any others are simply nice to look at but not completely necessary.

Grizabella

I don't have much money most of the time so I don't usually buy decks. Fortunately I'm pretty content with what I have. Recently, though, with an Amazon gift certificate I was given, I bought Tarot of the Secret Forest by Lo Scarabeo. I had the Secret Forest many years ago but couldn't make sense of it so I didn't keep it, but I've always thought I should give it another try and now I'm glad I did. I was also given the new Bonefire second edition for Christmas and I'm thrilled with it, too.

I used to covet decks---almost every one I saw. But now I don't find that many interesting enough to want them. I've learned what works best for me and I tend to stick with old favorites I already have.\

I've never been a collector of Tarot. I use all my decks by turns so none appeal to me from a collecting point of view.