Book depository order

olivia1

Sorry if this is the wrong place but for those who order from them through amazon, is it normal for their packages to take forever to arrive?? I ordered lenormand deck from them on feb 24 and I still haven't received my package. I went with them because people seem to like them on here. I received my book order for a copy of The Essential Lenormand by Rana George from a different seller across the country a week ago. I'm not happy.

Linfang

Yes, BD sometimes takes longer than advertised. They do not use tracking, so no way to check where the item is. But so far I always got my shipments in the end. Only exception yesterday, when I got the envelope but it was empty, the deck had fallen out somewhere on the way. They promised to send another one, but it will be a two weeks wait at least...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Aeon418

At one time the Book Depository used to be great. You placed an order and quite often it was delivered in 3 working days. But it's been a long time since they were that quick. The last few times I used them I had to wait over a week before they even acknowledged that I had placed an order.

Since then I've found out that, "In Stock. Ready for dispatch.", doesn't necessarily mean they have an item in stock. What it really means is that they think they may be able to source an item from a supplier. In the mean time they keep you waiting with zero communication or order updates.

Gwynydd

I use them most of the time, because being an Aussie, postage is a killer. They usually take over a week to arrive. I'm happy with that, given they're based in the U.K.

FLizarraga

Since then I've found out that, "In Stock. Ready for dispatch.", doesn't necessarily mean they have an item in stock. What it really means is that they think they may be able to source an item from a supplier. In the mean time they keep you waiting with zero communication or order updates.

This seems to be pretty much the case. But, well, they're the cheapest source I have been able to find, most of the time, and they do seem to have in inventory (or whatever that means) stuff that is otherwise pricy or hard to find. So it's sort of "you get what you pay for." But, since I'm poor and a cheapskate, it works for me.

A nice bonus is that, by the time I get anything from them, I have usually forgotten my order loooooooong ago. And this way I get a surprise deck that pops out of nowhere and makes my day. :)

olivia1

Thanks everyone. I'll just place a new order with someone else and send the package back unopened. Never ever again will I order from them

olivia1

At one time the Book Depository used to be great. You placed an order and quite often it was delivered in 3 working days. But it's been a long time since they were that quick. The last few times I used them I had to wait over a week before they even acknowledged that I had placed an order.

How misleading. I refuse to support such a company. Thank you. Someone recommend a reasonable seller?

Astraea

Exactly. They even admitted this to me when I'd not received an order after two weeks - they said they'd had to order the item the Germany, and would send it as soon as they got it. No tracking, no updates. Their customer service department gets right back to when you write them, but they don't have much to say in their emails except "unfortunately...."

_R_

Having worked in the book industry for a number of years, in a number of different capacities, I can say that this is now, for better or for worse, standard practice among online booksellers, including those with a physical bricks & mortar store. This includes reputable firms, most of which struggle to compete with these kinds of tactics and have had no choice but to adopt them or face closing down. That is the sad reality of the bookselling business nowadays.

The reason why some of these online sellers (of which Book Depository is the classic example) are able to sell the books much more cheaply than the old-school competition is precisely because they have few of the overheads usually associated with the book trade: no warehouse, no stock, few employees, just an online catalogue of books available from wholesalers, from which they fulfil the retail orders. That means a wait of a few days while their orders arrive, to be repackaged and sent out to the end customer.

And believe me, anything that can happen in between, can and does happen: books sold out overnight, or gone out of print, boats held up by a storm, airports closed due to weather/strikes/regime change, in addition to the more usual event of the shops' line of credit being over-extended, and the delivery being held up as a result...

BD used to be cheap and rapid, then it was bought out by Amazon, and speed and service declined in consequence. My last order, less than a year ago, contained 3 books, only one of which arrived - eventually. I did get a partial refund, after the replacement copy was supposedly sent out, but as I said, it was my *last* order.

I understand how frustrating it can be waiting without knowing what is going on. So I would advise readers to check out the sellers' feedback, buy from reputable sellers, support local businesses where possible, and to be aware of these issues and develop a little understanding and patience - not all delays are due to scammers or shady business practices - they are just the way things are these days.

gregory

How misleading. I refuse to support such a company. Thank you. Someone recommend a reasonable seller?
It's simply because amazon bought them out. Amazon want everyone to pay for Prime. Amazon itself is also way slower than it used to be for non-Prime users. I still use BD because postage IS free, and also because their return policy is second to none. Instant response; and if it was their error you get to keep the item, and they send you another !