Reading for yourself

jerrissica

I only read for myself currently, although i would like to practice with reading for others. I don't do spreads very often, i mainly do card a day draws for guidance and insight. I try to be as objective as possible, although I know it can be difficult at times.

zeldajones91

I read for myself almost exclusively. I also have social anxiety and came from a very isolated fundamentalist background, so it might due to not having friends who would be comfortable with tarot readings.

Personal bias is definitely limiting when it comes to personal readings, but I've learned to work with myself to see the answers objectively. Sometimes I step back from the spread and try to imagine what advice I would give a stranger who had come to me with the same question. It keeps my mind expansive. The book Tarot 101 by Kim Huggens has plenty of exercises for staying objective.

Sometimes I use tarot to create what Kelly-Ann Maddox calls a "Tarot Story" or "Tarot Mandala" to explain how I feel about a complicated and deep issue in my life. I recently used the Wild Unknown to paint a picture of my toxic relationship with my mother. It brought me to tears and really helped me understand upsetting parts of my upbringing.

I have only been using tarot for about four years. You might want to take my advice with a grain of salt because I'm certainly not an advanced reader. ;)

zeldajones91

I'd also like to recommend reading for fictional characters if you want to branch out. Be sure to choose ones you know well. I'm a huge Hamilton musical fan, so I started doing one-card readings for the characters in the musical. Once I'm comfortable, I'll probably do 3-card readings. It's definitely an interesting exercise!

You might find characters from Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Marvel superheros, Broadway musicals, Disney movies, anywhere! I read for characters in video games too.

katyanne

I read for myself almost exclusively. I also have social anxiety and came from a very isolated fundamentalist background, so it might due to not having friends who would be comfortable with tarot readings.

Personal bias is definitely limiting when it comes to personal readings, but I've learned to work with myself to see the answers objectively. Sometimes I step back from the spread and try to imagine what advice I would give a stranger who had come to me with the same question. It keeps my mind expansive. The book Tarot 101 by Kim Huggens has plenty of exercises for staying objective.

Sometimes I use tarot to create what Kelly-Ann Maddox calls a "Tarot Story" or "Tarot Mandala" to explain how I feel about a complicated and deep issue in my life. I recently used the Wild Unknown to paint a picture of my toxic relationship with my mother. It brought me to tears and really helped me understand upsetting parts of my upbringing.

I have only been using tarot for about four years. You might want to take my advice with a grain of salt because I'm certainly not an advanced reader. ;)

I come from an isolated fundamentalist background too so I don't know many people I can do readings for...maybe two.

zeldajones91

I come from an isolated fundamentalist background too so I don't know many people I can do readings for...maybe two.

I totally understand. I have to hide my tarot cards and books when my parents come over. You aren't alone! :)

That being said, I think it's totally okay if you read for yourself.

AnemoneRosie

I read for myself, have been doing so for some decades and didn't have problems with it. Lately, I read for myself less and less because my life is so well ordered ;-) and I have no urgent questions.

This is where I'm at, too.
I've read for myself enough that now, I don't really feel the need to anymore. That said, I did two 3-card draws for myself today as part of the DOTW thing. It really is a good way to learn a new deck.

barefootlife

I read for myself, and I don't find it's a problem in the slightest as long as you read for yourself with the same sort of dispassion you'd read for anyone else. As long as you can see what's there and not merely what you want to be there, reading for yourself is both good practice and a good exercise in self-exploration.

EmpyreanKnight

I've done this so many times, and my Thoth has not played me false. I do acknowledge that it's sometimes hard to feel detached about self-readings tho I've always preferred to be told the truth without any sugar-coating. I've learned that when you get a harsh reading, instead of drawing "clarificatory" cards again and again it might be better to ask the cards for insights as to how to best approach and thence solve the problem.

Emeraud

I keep a journal of the readings I do for myself, the person I read for the most. The journal gives me a place to reflect on the message the cards have. I don't read daily, and recently I've decided to read at the New Moon, the Full Moon, and the change in seasons, and when the spirit moves me :)

I may start doing Tarot card meditations on a regular basis. I did a guided meditation with The Fool card, which was more insightful than I imagined it would be.

greatdane

Yes, I read for myself

In fact, I prefer to read for myself. I rarely get readings from others, as I see my readings as part of my own journey, not because I don't think there are FABULOUS readers out there, there certainly are.

I like that it is just between the cards and me :).