House Systems

littleneptune

dadsnook2000--could you tell me if I've calculated correctly?
My MC is 17' Capricorn, my ASC 03' Taurus, therefore the arc is 106' (?).
So my Co-Descendant point is at 01' Libra, right?

I am fascinated by the concept of midpoints, but never know exactly how to interpret what the third point means!

dadsnook2000

You are correct.

The math is correct, your co-descendant is 01 Libra. Any mid-point combines the expression of the two planets involved or planets and sensitive point (example Mars = Asc/Venus). The mid-point only gains energy when it is transited, progressed or occupied by an natal planet or important point. By itself, the mid-point does nothing but mark a point in space or time. Not many people use Equal Arcs in their practice except as an unrecognized part of Ebertin's Mid-Point process. Noel Tyl did some work with Solar Arc's and a little with equal arc's. Equal arc's can define interesting relationships between sets of planets that otherwise appear to be unrelated. In essence, two pairs of planets, wherein each pair as the same arc between them, actually have a common mid-point -- when it's triggered all four planets (and their natal chart meaning) come into play. Dave.

littleneptune

Thanks dadsnook2000--I certainly will need some time to look over what you've said, and perhaps research Ebertin (again). I've tried learning about mid-points previously, but gave up as it seemed really complicated. I think I'm in over my head...I wonder if there's a "Mid-points for dummies" book out there!

dadsnook2000

Mid-Point Book ?

I do know that Noel Tyl has written many books where he uses mid-points and solar arcs. Other than Ebertin's books and some Uranian texts there just doesn't seem to be much. Everyone uses them and shows them in their writings but few talk about them for those that are relatively new to the subject. If you can get a mid-point dial -- a plastic wheel divided into 90 degrees and mounted on a plastic plate. You can purchase paper wheels to mount on them and then just mark in pencil or grease marker the planet positions. After a few minutes it all comes naturally. Dave.

Minderwiz

There doesn't seem that much out there - I looked through the catalogue of the Wessex Astrologer - one of the best book suppliers in the UK and couldn't find any book dedicated to midpoints.

Robert Hand does cover them in 'Horoscope Symbols' and they get passing mentions elsewhere but clearly there's a real gap in the market here. I for one would certainly be interested in such a book.

Lee

Isn't there a book called "Dial Detective" that approaches midpoints from a beginner's perspective? I don't know firsthand, I'm just parroting what I've read from other sites. I think the author's last name is Simms.

-- Lee

dadsnook2000

Mid-point Book

Ebertin's "Applied Cosmobiology" was translated by Heidi Langman and Jin Hove, and edited by Charles Harvey, and printed in Germany. My copy was printed in 1972. This is the most complete and detailed coverage of mid-points that I have seen. Others have covered mid-points which have been known since the practice and writings of an Italian astrologer, Bonito? possibly, several hundred years ago. Just about every computer software program dealing with astrology can calculate and display mid-points, many can also print out the round 90-degree wheel (and a few can do others for harmonics like 5, 7, etc.). The best approach seems to be 1) do a little reading, 2) calculate a chart on your computer, and 3) just plunge into it. The hardest part for some students, in my experience, is adjusting to interpreting three planets in combination. For example, what does Sun/Mars = Saturn mean? While Ebertin has a famous cook book of meanings, the Combination of Stellar Influences (CSI), there is another lesser known book that I greatly value. This book is called Planets in Containment by John Sandbach and Ronn Ballard which doesn't deal with mid-points as they are defined by Ebertin but which deals with planets in sequences of three no matter what the distance or arc is between them. In other words, there doesn't have to be any significant aspect or mid-point, just that three planets are in some sequence. This book is very useful and insightful. Dave.

Minderwiz

I noticed 'Planetary Containment' in the catalogue - I'll try and get hold of a copy on your recommendation. I've tried getting Combination of Stellar Influences for some time but it seems to be out of print at the moment.

dadsnook2000

Planets In Containment versus CSI

Before you purchase the book I'll give you a sample of the readings for planetary combinations.
PIC for Saturn-Jupiter-Pluto (Saturn/Pluto = Jupiter): These individuals have an inate capacity for controlling their energies. Rather than getting carried away by their positive urges they have the ability to discipline and temper their exhuberance with caution. They fear getting totally caught up in anything because it would mean losing control. At worst this constitutes a tremendous inhibition of their ability to be spontaneous. They need to allow themselves to be swept away by their own positive force while still maintaining the basic discipline which is natural to them. POSITIVE: Steady enthusiasm persists until victory is won. NEGATIVE: Forcing enthusiasm into an overly narrow channel becomes obsessive.
CSI for Saturn/Pluto = Jupiter: Plainess and simplicity, excessive modesty, the inclination to sacrifice oneself for others, religous and social fanaticism, difficulties caused through illness. PRICIPLE: Hard labour; cruelty. POSITIVE: Tenacity and toughness, endurance, the capability to make record efforts of the highest possible order, the ability to perform the most difficult work with etreme self-discipline, self-denial and renumciation. Magicians and adepts. NEGATIVE: A hard and unfeeling disposition also cold-heartedness, severity, tendency to violence, a fanatical adherenceto one's priciples oce they have been adopted. A martyr.
You can compare these two for their style of expression for the Saturn-Jupiter-Pluto combination. Ebertin's CSI reflected his view of the combination when a mathematical/spatial mid-point existed. PIC reflects the author's experience of planets in sequence no matter what the calculated distance is between them -- in other words, they would rise or culminate in the sequence given. THIS IS IMPORTANT because if the sequence is reversed, there is a different meaning !!!
PIC Pluto-Jupiter-Saturn (Pluto/Saturn = Jupiter): These individuals have a firm belief in the idea that life and the universe are inherently good. The manifest powerful and intense oportunism and enthusiasm. They are learning in this lifetime to combine these factors with a heightened ability for patience and perseverance. At worst, their exuberance can be their most limiting qulity unless they are willing to realize that everything happens in its own good time, and hence there are some things for which they will have to wait. Their absessive enthusiasm achieves power through self-control. POSITIVE: Tremendous enthusiasm manifests outwardly as patience and perseverance. NEGATIVE: Obsessive enthusiasm leads to depression and frustration.
From these excerpts you can see why I hesitated recommending this book to anyone who was new to midpoints. The changes of sequence and the changes in reading the combination do make a difference and may be too much for some. If you, or anyone else reading this post, wants to explore a combination that is in their chart I'll try to respond as long as I don't get overwhelmed. Dave.

littleneptune

dadsnook--that is a very generous offer, and one which I will accept immediately! I won't get into mid-points, I'll just present the sequence idea. Any information you can give me about the pattern in general would be helpful, so speak to any point you like, all info is deeply appreciated. Here's my basic chart pattern:

In Pisces: Saturn (9') Venus (11') Sun (19.6')
In Virgo: Uranus (12') Pluto (15') Mars (18')
Both square Moon in Gemini (17')
A classic 't-square' pattern.