"School For Beginners"

Empath111

Divination-I do ask for assistance from my higher power to help me be able to read the messages clearly and for it to come from that divine source. To enhance this I sometimes use certain crystals. I calm myself and meditate/ground to get get a good "base" and then can sense easier if my crown chakra is more open...I might not always think of it as my crown chakra, but coming from the top as from above. I do know when I have prepared well because I sense a tingling there when shuffling.

Neutralizing/Cleansing-I've never really done this either although it intrigues me hearing about it here. Especially with a new deck. I have smudged, but never my deck.
Preparing to Read-I have a room in my home that I have to treat patients and to use for my own meditation/grounding purposes. Because the technique I learned is very "energy based" - sometimes emotions get released and I have absorbed them in the past. So I do have to ground/center and protect prior. I have smudged the area with white sage at times when I can sense it is needed..based on negativity brought in or released. My room is set up with crystals on the window sills, plants, water fountain - relaxing music if needed. I don't use a silk cloth or anything..just my computer desk. Maybe need to re-think that. Love the ideas here..will try some out!

LadyZelda

Sorry I'm late for class - I've spent the entire weekend trying to catch up with my work (including an all-nighter on Friday night). :(

First of all, I only have one Lenormand deck - a Piatnik - and I understand that the clouds are reversed. I hope that isn't a problem.

No, it won't be because you look at it in "your" reading and the appropriate card will be on either side it "has" to be to give you the message.

I've never paid much attention to cleansing though I have to admit that my Lenormand has something very special about it. I don't know if it's "energy" or what. I got it from Mr. Somerville. The deck seems like it had been lovingly handled but there's also a touch of something else - wistfulness? I bought it during the last few days before he closed up shop, so maybe that explains it.

It is well acknowledged that "energies" of different kinds are all around us. Humans, animals, crystals, etc... release energy, we are energy beings...The very concept of Feng Shui is that to keep the balance, the harmony necessary in one's life, one has to let the energy flows and get rid of any negative energy. When you are worried you are releasing a different energy than when you are overjoyed...The energies that were in the shop when as it was closing were the owner's feelings about closing his shop, the faithful customers' feelings about the closing of "their" store...All these energies were deposited on everything in that store. Some people who would get a hand down deck from someone who was a very good fortune teller desire to keep "the energy" left by the previous owner as a "+", feeling it is going to enhance their own readings. Still, after a day of reading they will cleanse the deck by smudging it to remove the energies of all the readings that were done but will make sure not to say "and the energy that belongs to those who handled that deck before me" as they want to keep the energy of that fortune teller...
When I'm done using the Oracle I put it away in its box with a crystal quartz on the top of it to soak up all the energies released by the readings, so that I will get my Oracle back to a "neutral" state. This is "my" way and the way of many professional readers, but you have to see how it resonates with you. In the end it will have to be according to what "you" believe is "the" way.

I'm also one of those who are having trouble finding a place to do the readings. Only 2 rooms are inhabitable at the moment, so I can either use the kitchen table and get disturbed or use the bed, which apparently isn't ideal either.

If your bedroom is the only place where you won't be disturbed, if you don't have a portable table, if you are uncomfortable on the floor, and the only possible place is your bed. Then, I would smudge the room to cleanse the energies, I would place an amethyst cluster on the bed, lay out my reading cloth and when I'm done reading I would cleanse the bed by smudging it (just going all around it, and extending your arm above with the incense) and leave the amethyst cluster for as long as you can, and smudge the room to get everything back to neutral. After that I would cleanse my amethyst cluster because it acts like a sponge and therefore would be filled with all the energies it gathered. The amethyst can be cleanse by pouring some salted water (1 cup of water with 1 tsp of natural sea salt) and by saying the "cleansing" words. Then, it would be good to go for another day. (there is no need to cleanse in between session during the same day unless you feel strong about doing so. Cleansing would be after you are done for the day to get your bedroom and your bed back to their neutral state and worldly use).

But, I have to stress out that all I have said is what "I" would do if I was in your shoes. If that doesn't bear witness with your spirit, then by all means do according to what "you" sense has to be done. :)

Is anybody else going through the whole deck like that one card at a time as Iris suggests?

I'm going to meditate probably upon at least 2 cards per week depending of the time I have. I think it is a good thing to do so, because for our next class we will start studding the meaning of each card. Thus, it would be better if everyone meditate on at least 1 card to participate during class ;)

LadyZelda

Divination-I do ask for assistance from my higher power to help me be able to read the messages clearly and for it to come from that divine source. To enhance this I sometimes use certain crystals. I calm myself and meditate/ground to get get a good "base" and then can sense easier if my crown chakra is more open...I might not always think of it as my crown chakra, but coming from the top as from above. I do know when I have prepared well because I sense a tingling there when shuffling.

The same goes for me :) good preparation makes a difference...

Neutralizing/Cleansing-I've never really done this either although it intrigues me hearing about it here. Especially with a new deck. I have smudged, but never my deck.
Preparing to Read-I have a room in my home that I have to treat patients and to use for my own meditation/grounding purposes. Because the technique I learned is very "energy based" - sometimes emotions get released and I have absorbed them in the past. So I do have to ground/center and protect prior. I have smudged the area with white sage at times when I can sense it is needed..based on negativity brought in or released. My room is set up with crystals on the window sills, plants, water fountain - relaxing music if needed. I don't use a silk cloth or anything..just my computer desk. Maybe need to re-think that. Love the ideas here..will try some out!

Sounds like a great room! I don't have the possibility right now but I'm looking forward to have a water fountain ;) Thanks for sharing! :D

LadyZelda

CLEANSING / CONSECRATING:

Any hoky poky is just added fluff for show in my opinion, and doesn't really help me with my card readings. If it helps you, keep at it, but we hardly have to go through burning insence and throwing holy water over our cards and burrying them beneath an oak tree in a special box on the full moon to get cards ready for readings.

Thanks for sharing your way :) I have to disagree about the way you describe "the cleansing/consecrating" For all of us who are doing that it is not "hoky poky is just added fluff for show". I am reading on my own and I don't have to impress anyone. Professionals who do that, don't either because the customer doesn't see any of the cleansing/consecrating. The only thing they will see is a room well set up, but again it has nothing to do with putting on a "show". Everyone who follow that path truly believes that energies must be dealt with, that crystals are a gift to help us with that and many other things as a matter of fact, as well as the effect of incense, and candles. Did you ever notice how a certain smell can change the way you feel or bring peacefulness? The same is true with music. All that are proven facts that some disregard and some receive, but they are facts nonetheless. Life is not just about "matter" that you can touch, yes, the cards are paper and ink and paint, but beside that it is an Oracle...their special use set them apart from a deck that you would use just for playing poker....and the energy that will flow makes the difference...;)
Still you have to follow your path and everyone of us has to follow their own....

I'd even ask myself 4 questions, what this card represents in love, what it represents in work, etc... It gets you thinking about future meanings. :)

Real good idea! :D

Empath111

The same goes for me :) good preparation makes a difference...

Sounds like a great room! I don't have the possibility right now but I'm looking forward to have a water fountain ;) Thanks for sharing! :D

I am very lucky- it's mainly for business reasons, but it serves multi purposes:) Very lucky. It is a calm room even before the grounding "stuff" I added. I really want more plants:) That's my next goal.

MoiraKarin

Thanks for sharing your way :) I have to disagree about the way you describe "the cleansing/consecrating" For all of us who are doing that it is not "hoky poky is just added fluff for show". I am reading on my own and I don't have to impress anyone. Professionals who do that, don't either because the customer doesn't see any of the cleansing/consecrating. The only thing they will see is a room well set up, but again it has nothing to do with putting on a "show". Everyone who follow that path truly believes that energies must be dealt with, that crystals are a gift to help us with that and many other things as a matter of fact, as well as the effect of incense, and candles. Did you ever notice how a certain smell can change the way you feel or bring peacefulness? The same is true with music. All that are proven facts that some disregard and some receive, but they are facts nonetheless. Life is not just about "matter" that you can touch, yes, the cards are paper and ink and paint, but beside that it is an Oracle...their special use set them apart from a deck that you would use just for playing poker....and the energy that will flow makes the difference...;)
Still you have to follow your path and everyone of us has to follow their own....

Real good idea! :D
I really agree here with LE
Smells object rituals will set in the inmagintion instead of your higher conscieceness to pass on messages just as well as music, or other distractions.
we want here to be connected to divine not to inmagination.
I never use incense for reading other then i think it will be good to use it to neutralize energies. However i think this should be done long before the reading.
Just a clear calm focused mind just as well as the place to where you do the readings, are important
It is important to get the messages clear from your higher consciousness instead of your inmagination to set in and tell it's story

Empath111

PS, yes, I do recommend meditating on each card as Iris Treppner suggests. Keep your note book close by and mark down any thoughts. I'd even ask myself 4 questions, what this card represents in love, what it represents in work, etc... It gets you thinking about future meanings. :)

I like this idea too

lord_ewin

My point was, if the crystals, the incense, the incantations works for you, do it, but it is hardly something that must be done for success in card reading, tarot, or Lenormand.

It's like a football player tussling the mascot's hair for luck. It won't help him win the game, but if it makes him less nervous and lets him concentrate on things, terrific, but some of us do manage to get right to the point without it.

LE

Empath111

My point was, if the crystals, the incense, the incantations works for you, do it, but it is hardly something that must be done for success in card reading, tarot, or Lenormand.

It's like a football player tussling the mascot's hair for luck. It won't help him win the game, but if it makes him less nervous and lets him concentrate on things, terrific, but some of us do manage to get right to the point without it.

LE
I was going to comment on this in the like.
I'm a PT who learned a technique that was more energy-based than traditional physical therapy. I had no idea why I was getting flighty and would go home exhausted. It was the weirdest thing I ever felt. My supervisor never taught me about "grounding " (which i had no idea what the heck it meant) because she thought I was the most grounded person she ever met. So other staff members were taught it I guess upon hire. Well, I'm not grounded. LOL I'm the opposite. So I learned the hard way searching around for help. Things that generally "bring the outdoors in" can help as well as meditation etc. Now, my boss was VERY grounded and didn't need to spend time between patients in quiet for 2 mins doing some deep breaths etc. Then again, she couldn't sense I was ungrounded - which most grounded people can't feel.

This also reminds me of my son dad who was a pitcher and could just focus and block everything else out - he's a grounded guy and it just came natural. My son..he can't block stuff out - lots of pressure on a pitcher....and he's more like me. But they both can throw great - great athletes. But you have to be able to block out stuff and focus in that position. So since he's started taking his time between pitches and taking a few deep breaths he has improved a lot. Plus he does some imagery and calming before the game at home if he is going to pitch. Prior to that he was struggling big time. So it does depend on the person, IMO.

I think of rustling someone's hair as superstitious versus grounding. Valid grounding techniques help for people who need it. Massage therapists are taught it etc. Again, not everyone needs it to the same degree.

LadyZelda

LE

I understood your point, but visibly I didn't express mine very well, sorry about that ;)

I and all others like me, do not do what we do "like a football player tussling the mascot's hair for luck" etc..., it is not to help ourselves to concentrate on the reading, or to be able to get the message of the Oracle either. Just like you "we can get right to the point" :) What I have been trying to explain is that it is about the reality of "energy management". It has nothing to do with hocus pocus and imagination.:D