Tarot without the Court Decks

SirRushing

Has anyone read tarot while getting rid of the court decks? I bought Steam Punk Tarot as a Christmas gift to myself and I hate the court decks, because they don't correspond to the typical RWS imagery, therefore, they throw off my reading.

http://ethony.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/steampunk-Tarot-1.jpg

I was going throw the court decks away, but "fear" I won't get an accurate reading. This is my first time doing something like this.

Grizabella

I wouldn't throw them out. If you like the deck, then just keep them in and see if you can decipher how to use them effectively.

What I do with decks that don't follow traditional imagery is that I put my mind to how the illustrations would correspond to traditional meanings. For instance, in the Lo Scarabeo Romantic deck, the 8 of Wands shows a man sound asleep with a tie around one of his wrists and in the background, a woman in her pantaloons and bustier or whatever Victorians called a whaleboned top and the message does say "Hurry up, big guy. Time to rise and shine---again." to me when I think about it. She's conveying a message more swiftly than he's probably ready for.

I find decks with non-traditional imagery to be very much a breath of fresh air. In adapting the new images for a reading, I've had extremely good results. The traditional meanings are my "platform" I guess you could call it, to jump off into quite pertinent readings.

Emma313

As far as I understand the court cards just testify to the wordly experience of the other cards, you could ignore them, but I think they can be valuable