How do you practice?

G6

One thing I've picked up from Benebell Wen's *Holistic Tarot* is the use of the First Operation technique. She gives detailed instructions in her book, but for me it functions as a nicely low key way to do a general reading.

Here's a YouTube video that explains the First Operation Technique. I don't think I would spend time doing this, but I'd like to know how accurate this has been for others?

https://youtu.be/9mnVkDEKZHg

Barleywine

Right now I'm actively learning the Voyager Tarot, so I'm using it in my daily draw (a five-card spread I designed specifically for the purpose). I see the daily draw as more attitudinal than event-based, so I just treat it as the "tone" for the day, not looking for anything specific in the way of action (although it sometimes surprises me). I broke the spread down into a "self" focus (3 minor cards), an "other" focus (1 court card) and an "outer world" focus (1 trump card).

MissChiff

I do tarot readings on the gossip news...you can check your accuracy pretty much daily.

Grizabella

I shuffle, shuffle, shuffle every day and then periodically, I lay down 7 cards, not about anything or any question, and just see what those 7 cards might be saying if it were an actual reading. I take note of the suits and how many of the cards might lean heavily toward it being romantic or practical. I take note of how many of the cards are Majors, what colors predominate, if any---just idle stuff like that.

In doing this, though, if the Tower starts cycling around through these spreads frequently, it almost always means I'll be moving---again!.

EvaSegovia

I have to confess, I don't do this every day, but occasionally I'll take a card at random and just sit with it. Feel the energy of it. Imagine myself within the card and becoming a part of the picture. In this way, I don't take the images (like the Tower or Death for instance) personally. I can get to know the cards without relying on them to predict my day or future.

Mythtaken

I tend to draw five cards, with a general 'what do the cards want to show me' sort of thought percolating in my brain.

Patterns tend to develop in the cards, which I find intriguing.

I never get much out of asking specific questions, though.

EmpyreanKnight

I perform daily draws (which were much more instructive than I expected), 3-card weekly draws, and huge spreads for special occasions like birthdays, holidays, holy days, etc. Of course I use my cards when I have a pressing concern. I rarely read on stuff that are not personally important to me so I don't just casually use them to predict winners, game outcomes, etc. altho I do make exceptions if something interests me a lot.

SunChariot

I'm trying to work out a good way to practice and I've tried the daily card draw but the only question I ever have is "what do I need to know today".

Rarely does this work out for me. Mostly I either forget about the card or I look for ways to make it apply which does not feel very authentic.

I would consider doing three card draws in order to get more depth but again.. there isn't anything I have this burning need to know (other than how to get more practice)

I'm curious what you do for practice other than reading for other people.

(oops.. I think I posted in the wrong forum! Mods - I'm very sorry if this needs to be moved!)

I honestly don't anymore after 15 years plus, I feel pretty much that I have a good feel for what works well for me and what doesn't and why and have my methodology pretty much down.

I still read of course, but I don't practice.

That said, thinking back to when I did...I ONLY read for myself for the first 8 months of so before even starting to read for others. So there was a lot of practicing then. :grin:

I never was a fan of the daily draws personally. I tried once or twice then found it was just not my thing.

What I did do and I found it a fascinating way to learn was to ask about life. I asked about life and how it works. All the questions to things that no one knows for sure. Like what is Destiny, how does it work, what is the energy of life, how am I connected to it, what is my life purpose, what good can I do in this world around me, ....I could go on endlessly with those and always be fascinated. And the answer tend to be pretty fascinating too.

At the time I had an e-zine that came to my Inbox every day containing various different statements on the mysteries of life. Those almost always turned into readings for me. They would spark my curiosity.

I once even did a reading for a bird that was sitting on my window sill. He was looking in at me while I was looking out at him. I asked my cards what he was thinking as he was looking at me. I thought that was a fun question. It proved useful too. LOL

I remember the cards said that he was wondering why I was not outdoors on this beautiful day enjoying the beautiful warm sunshine and cool breezes. He could not seem to understand why I would not CHOOSE to be outdoors on a day like that, was I imprisoned or stuck there somehow, behind the glass? No one would choose that (to not be outdoors) on a day like this. That was completely obvious and a certainty to him. He was confused. Why was I not outdoors?

I promptly went outdoors after the reading and enjoyed the heck out of the weather and day afterwards. LOL Birds are smart :grin:

But the readings on the nature of life and how it works, honestly, those are still my very favourites. Such amazing things come up. :heart:

Babs

theFeeLion

@SunChariot that's a great idea I might have to borrow that for myself! :D

Barleywine

Here's a YouTube video that explains the First Operation Technique. I don't think I would spend time doing this, but I'd like to know how accurate this has been for others?

https://youtu.be/9mnVkDEKZHg

My approach to the First Operation is similar to Angelo's. When I use it, it's as a preliminary to the main spread (usually a Celtic Cross) as a way to "get a leg up" on what area of life the reading will focus on. Since I also truncate the process, I think of it in "pancake mythology" terms as the "short stack." :) I have one extra wrinkle: after I set out the four piles, I turn over the top card in each pile to see if any one stands out above the rest. If it does, I treat this as a sign that the Significator will be in that stack, and if it's there I give that area of life extra attention. Wherever the Significator turns up, I use the top card as the initial tone for that area of life, blending it with the elemental nature of the pile.

I also stop short of the elaborate counting-and-pairing steps; using "facing," I look at the pair of cards before and after the Significator to get an idea where the querent is headed in the situation. Elemental Dignities can be used here too. I don't "abandon the divination" if the client doesn't relate to any of this, I just take it under advisement for the main reading.

In truth, though, my brief public reading sessions don't allow me the luxury of doing this operation for clients, so I limit it to my at-home readings. I've been doing it on-and-off since the mid-80s so you could call it "practice," and its effectiveness has been decidedly mixed.