Value of Pam C Rider Waite

may1967

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me make a decision. I have a Pam C deck, in red box with book. The deck I doubt has ever been used and still has the paper band around it. The box is whole, but stained and some of the red has come off.....just wear and tear for its age I guess. The book is also in beautiful clean condition.
I have mortgage payments to make and have been ill for quite some time. I guess I need to think about parting with this deck depending upon value of course. To me, its value is immeasureable, but I need to be practical and use my head and not my heart.
So, if any of you very kind knowledgeable people can help me value this deck I would be so appreciative.

HOLMES

to be truthful

only true collectors would be willing to pay up to the 2000 canadian/5000 euros
and so if you put it on ebay it will most likely sit there for some time.

for myself I would be hard press to buy it for the original waite used that as the source for the reprinting at least according to the website that was in the link above..
you may offer it for sale in the trading area as wel.

i just feel you may end up having to take a mulligan here if it is a emergency and take like 100 to 200 instead of the 1000 to 2000 high end auction price.

edited to add,,

but as it is rare there, it would be better if you just hold on it til you can get a good price,

gregory

It's worth a good bit. Old threads aren't really relevant, as - well things change. I've asked someone who should know to drop by the thread :) A vintage Roses and Lilies deck just fetched $6000 on ebay. Not that yours is one of those !

If yours is in really good condition it SHOULD do well even though it isn't as rare as that - but that isn't a guarantee. Put a good reserve on it, if you ebay it. It should go for around $1500, I'd have said.

But - well, as I said - I've called in an expert !

HOLMES

But - well, as I said - I've called in an expert !

that is very cool of you gregory, it would be great for the op to get a specific range then 200 to 2000 canadian that they can aim for.

though I looked at ebay today and the higher priced decks weren't getting any bids, is ebay the way to go for the op in your opnion ? while we wait for the expert.

edited to add
i read gregory response and looked through the thread he posted,,
i sincerly hope your deck goes up into that range,,

gregory

I would list with ebay and here, myself. And - well, if you look at the thread I linked - the HUGE bids came in right at the end. Heck - early on I was even bidding.

Never bid early on ebay. NEVER !

truelighth

Seems Gregory regards me as the expert }) :).

But ok, fair enough, I do know enough about it and I also do keep an eye on the prices. Years ago the prices were lower, but the last years, from what I have seen, all the old Pam decks have sold for high prices. Pam-A goes for around $2000, a Pam-B and Pam-C for $1500.

Holmes, I understand the comment about high priced items getting almost no bids on Ebay, and this is true. But for some reason, whenever an old Rider Waite is listed, it does get bids! People are on the look-out for them and they do pay a lot for them.

I can't be sure if yours would sell for $1500, because bidders and Ebay is fickle. But from what you described, the deck is in a very good condition, never used. And so it should fetch a good price. It would sell for $1000 easily, but I think it is worth more with the current prices the old Pam decks go or.
So I agree with Gregory, if you put it on Ebay, put a reserve on it for $1500 or at least $1000. Also, if you do plan on selling the deck, don't go for just any bid of 100 or 200 (you couldn't even get a Pam-C for that in 2003 when I was buying mine). Sometimes it is better to wait a bit longer and to get a good price then sell it quickly. It is worth it.

And I am sorry to hear you have to sell it. The old Pam decks are just so wonderful.

truelighth

Also, I just realized you wrote it has a red box and the book with it. For some reason, there are a number of Pam-C decks out there, that don't have a book and come in a greenish/greyish slipcase box. The red box and book makes it more valuable.

I hope you realize that when I estimate a price, I can never be sure. Because it depends on the buyers and bidders. It may fetch less or it may fetch more. But I have never seen a Pam-C fetch less then at least $800 to $1000 in the last 5 years. They seem to actually go for more and more money.

gregory

Great ! Thanks, truelighth ! - you know way more about these than I do. I just wish I had the money to buy it !

Oh - if/when you DO ebay it - post a lot of photos. It makes a great deal of difference. And include a scan of the Sun card ;)

truelighth

Great ! Thanks, truelighth ! - you know way more about these than I do. I just wish I had the money to buy it !

Oh - if/when you DO ebay it - post a lot of photos. It makes a great deal of difference. And include a scan of the Sun card ;)

Yes, indeed. You should do that, possibly also the Lovers card. That one is also one of those key cards. And make sure the title says clearly what you are selling, not just vintage Rider Waite, but that it is a Pam-C in a red box with book etc etc etc.