General readings spread suggestion

BSwett

More often than not, i get the classic "Ohhh I don't know, how about just a general reading?" from my seekers.

It's hard to read an obstacle card or a hidden influence possition when there's no real question.

Any suggestions on a nice spread for open readings like this?

BeeSwax

Sulis

This is the 'spread' I use for most of my readings that have more than 3 cards:

I really don't like general readings but I've found this (self made) 'spread' below works quite well...
I've put 'spread' in inverted commas because it really is a free-form thing.. I like decks that use minimal scenes or pips for the Minors best so I tend to read in sets of 3 and look how the cards interact with each other rather than single cards with positional meanings.
This layout works with questions too.
Each set of 3 can be read in any direction, left to right, right to left, centre outwards or towards the centre, depending on the direction of the characters etc..

Basically, I lay out 2 sets of 3 cards with one in the middle, slightly below the level of the 2 sets of 3...

The first 3 cards show the situation now and what's lead up to it..
The second 3 cards show what needs to be done and possible outcome (so advice and possible outcome).
The central card shows the underlying energies or theme of things so in a general spread, that's the most important card as it tells you what you're reading about, it gives some focus or the general feel of the spread...

I hope all of that rambling makes sense and that if you use it, you find it useful :).

BSwett

Thank you Sulis. This seems like a fun 'spread'. That seventh card idea is great. It kind of sets the stage for the rest! It could also go on top…