Dusserre Dodal - Tarot de Marseille

OnePotato

Congrats, kb2000!
Well done!

As far as the 'true' value goes....
It's pretty clear that the new owner would rather have this deck than £321.
I guess his vote on 'what it's really worth' counts more than anyone else's, at this particular moment in time. :)

OnePotato
(...who came in a distant 5th... :( )

thinbuddha

Well- there were at least 2 people who thought it was worth nearly that much (that's the way ebay works, for those who don't know- you can bid $1,000,000 and still pay only $.01 if nobody else bids). But yeah- it is way out of line for a mass market deck from the 80's.

And if it was worth that much, chances are that it isn't anymore (because the guy who bought it probably wouldn't be bidding anymore if another one were listed).

lark

I wonder how many people on Aeclectic own a Dodal?

OnePotato

thinbuddha said:
And if it was worth that much, chances are that it isn't anymore (because the guy who bought it probably wouldn't be bidding anymore if another one were listed).

Ya, but there _isn't_ another one listed. I hope another shows up, but in the meantime, what should I pay to get one?

Granted, it's a high price for a mass market 80's deck, but if it's not worth it, where are all the "properly" priced ones???

I'd like to buy one.
So, what should I do?

Umbrae

Sure it’s mass market, but how many were printed during each printing? And we assume it was two printings although it may have been one printing of the cards and two printings of the boxes (One with CE and one without). 5k? 10k? And there are none on the market. They simply never appear.

Now we know that there were 500 copies each of Chris Paradis Rock and Roll Tarot, and they run around $400+. But they show up from time to time on the market.

Dussere Dodal’s never show up.

So there’s demand – but no supply.

The lack of supply dictates the price in the market.

And without ever knowing how many were printed, and the dates of the print runs - all we can do is speculate.

Minervasaltar

jmd said:
wow - I think that at half that price, there's bound to be others willing to sell them!

Nope. Not even for double. This deck is priceless to me. :D

Minervasaltar

Umbrae said:
Dussere Dodal’s never show up.

It showed up twice in the last two months, so it's not that rare. ;)

Debra

Minervasaltar said:
It showed up twice in the last two months, so it's not that rare. ;)

REALLY? I've been looking but never saw it!

Minervasaltar

I'm sure because I was the one bidding (and losing) against Tessel. :D As I remember it the deck was just labelled as a Tarot de Marseille (and not as a Dodal).

Debra

Tesseljoan. Sure enough. There it is, on his/her list. Hm. I guess I need to spend more time on e-bay. (or maybe not!)